Is The Apbt A Lost Cause?

Is The APBT A Lost Cause?  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Is The APBT A Lost Cause?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure

Just a simple Yes or No will suffice, more details If you'd like to add them.

But please no railroading this thread as I'd like to keep It clean

and If you're not Interested just don't reply, I know that sounds

pretty stupid to say, but I'm sure most of you know what I'm getting at with that one :)

I'm just Interested to see what everyone else thinks

Many thanks

This Is my first poll so I hope I've done this right

ETA: Please no hit and run, I'd like to see who Is voting for what, even If It's just a Yes or No.... Sorry should have mentioned that earlier but have only just noticed :rofl:

Edited by RottnBullies

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Now you've confused me JS

I guess I mean are they a lost cause as In they're on the BSL list so we don't fight for them anymore and just concentrate on not having any more breeds added!

I hope that makes more sense :rofl:

I think they may be a lost cause. Not because of BSL but because a lot of APBT owners seem to be the breeds worse enemy.

Have a look at cases where BSL has been successfully fought such as the ban on GSDs and how that was overturned.

I think they may be a lost cause. Not because of BSL but because a lot of APBT owners seem to be the breeds worse enemy.

Have a look at cases where BSL has been successfully fought such as the ban on GSDs and how that was overturned.

Very broad generalization there, I don't think It's any worse than any other dog breeds out there with less than ideal owners. Lots of breed fanciers that are their breeds worst enemy not only specific to the APBT :)

Yes a few countries have had BSL repelled I however don't know how It was done

BSL will be overturned, it is logical progression. It is a pattern we have seen in foreign countries who have been there, done that and dropped BSL.

The world wide momentum is moving away from BSL. Australia ofcourse is behind but we will catch on.

We have done it, its not working. They will continue to make fools of themselves, nothing will change, they will be under pressure, the public will start asking why their laws are not working, why are other countries moving on, ect

We have a big recent win with the RSPCA being back on side. The ANKC has always opposed BSL, but now that it seems atleast one of their breeds is threatened they hopefully will man up for us aswell and be a little more vocal. The majority of major welfare organizations here and overseas are speaking out against BSL.

I think QLD has been showing signs of conceding failure for years, in my opinion NSW is showing signs of weakness now aswell.

What we need is people to stay tough, stay resolute, keep loving your dogs and keep fighting until this is over.

Edited by Lo Pan

What we need is people to stay tough, stay resolute, keep loving your dogs and keep fighting until this is over.

:) absolutely, and no more of this lost cause sinking ship comments

If some people have given up, well that's fine, just don't go trying to brainwash everyone else In thinking the same!

DOL is for the promotion of ANKC registered pure breeds not unregistered breeds like APBT.

As I've already stated If you're not Interested don't bother replying or can't you read!... so can I ask why you've made that comment!?? apart from trying to stir??

If you like report It and if Troy has a problem with It I'm sure he'll remove It

ETA: Maybe you could ask Troy to remove the Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) forum while you're at it as It's not always about ANKC breeds in there either

Edited by RottnBullies

I voted no as I would love to own an APBT one day without having to follow all the ridiculous rules of BSL ( and I would want one from a reputable breeder which unfortunately cannot exist while there is BSL). I do what I can to change the minds of the public one person at a time and would happily be involved in anything else that would help

BSL will be overturned, it is logical progression. It is a pattern we have seen in foreign countries who have been there, done that and dropped BSL.

No it won't.

Not as long as certain individuals keep breeding for fighting, dog aggression and protection of their property (ie: their Hash stash/crop and VB empties collection out the backyard).

APBT owners in certain areas ARE the breeds worst advocates as they are less intelligent than their dogs yet retain the ability to speak and use their opposable thumbs.

Until deadshits stop owning and breeding them.. BSL will live long and prosper.. particularly in certain council areas in Sydney.

Resisting BSL is a fight, having it repealed is a process. But it being repealed is a certainty.

The laws are being repealed in other countries because they are really, really, really, really, really, really expensive to enforce and defend, and then the public start asking why other dogs are still hurting people and musing that maybe all that money could be spent on things that actually work?

This is the kind of legislation that effects a lot of people, who think quite innocently that it won't effect them. It might be experiencing first hand the huge loss associated with losing their own mixed 'bull breed'. Or it might be growing movement of the owners of the hundreds of dogs that have been seized who've done nothing wrong. Or it might be ongoing problems with identification tying up the courts and costing councils and tax payers hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's these that make the legislation untenable.

We've already seen the 'creep' that is unavoidable with BSL. The Amstaff, Staffy, Ridgey, Boxery breed creep. But the more this happens, the more expensive it gets and the more people start rejecting the idea. Especially as people keep getting hurt by dogs, and resources which could be spent on genuine prevention get tied up in chasing a 'pit bull boogieman'.

BSL is a knee-jerk that eventually has to come back to a more reasonable baseline. That is, those laws that target irresponsible owners, rather than breed. Unfortunately, while all of this happens, we will watch really damaging laws take hold and hundreds of thousands of innocent people's, innocent pets be killed.

If you want to see how these things play out, spend some time reading the BSL section of KC Dog blog

Not a lost cause. Just the usual Australia vs the rest of the world, couple of decades of lag.

I voted no as I would love to own an APBT one day without having to follow all the ridiculous rules of BSL ( and I would want one from a reputable breeder which unfortunately cannot exist while there is BSL). I do what I can to change the minds of the public one person at a time and would happily be involved in anything else that would help

Just like to add, before I started researching dogs, I was of the opinion the APBTs, Rottweilers etc are evil dogs and will kill you if they get the chance, they go for your neck and have a lock-jaw that locks on till you die, even if they want to open their mouths, they cannot, because the dog needs to calm down and release a muscle relaxant hormone.

However, once I got out and about and started meeting these dogs, my perception changed. To this day, the most placid/friendliest dog I have met is an outlawed APBT. I think what you mention is very important, educating the public.

DOL is for the promotion of ANKC registered pure breeds not unregistered breeds like APBT.

BSL affects everybody . What a ridiculous , ignorant thing to say, yes it may all be starting with an unregistered breed but has started to include registered breeds ( like the AST) .

I have voted no. i don't think they are doomed because i believe that there is enough support even from those who don't have a BSL targeted breeds to fight against BSL .

Long live the APBT :)

i would hope they are not a lost cause :)

i really like them, and one is still my kids fav foster :rofl:

just out of interest, what is the situation in the uk these days?

i know when i left thy had just been banned, and they just disapeared, idiots started buying rottie's instead :rofl:

The rules don't actually mention registered elsewhere pure breeds. All the APBT's my brother owned and bred were pure breed and registered, albeit on overseas registers, as is the one we still have.

I don't think the APBT is a lost cause. It will be a long slow process though. :)

No, I dont think that th APBT is a lost cause but it will be a battle to change media, public(and other dog owners :) )perception of the breed.

what we need are some high profile breed ambassadors out in the public eye as canine good citzens-almost impossible to do at the moment due to the APBT being demonized and unwelcome at many obedience clubs and many responsible owners unwilling to take their beloved dogs out into public for fear of persacution(sp?)

When it comes to BSL they are. The focus at this point in time, should be looking out for our ANKC recognised breeds and making sure that they are not added to the list.

If you want a true reflection of what average Joe thinks of the APBT and BSL, pull up in a few random streets, in random suburbs and knock on some doors.

I think you will find that the majority of people agree that they should be banned and that they have no interest in seeing the bans over turned.

Naturally they will be labelled as fools, the media brainwashed and dismissed as such, but it's all of those people and just about every pollie in the country that you need to convince otherwise.

After QLD's recent court case events, my sole focus will be the ANKC breeds, backing the CC's and making sure our recognised Bull Breeds are safe.