Grs And Labs

Whats the difference in the temperament of Labradors and Goldens?

Just wondering because guide dogs NSW uses GR/Lab crosses (sometimes).

Also, I am concerned where they get these dogs from? They told me they got their purebred GRs and Labs from registered breeders who they have had success with in the past. So one would assume these dogs are health tested.

But you could only really get GR/lab mixes from BYBers? Guide dogs NSW doesn't have their own breeding program, so they wouldn't be using their own dogs for this purpose.

I will be getting a guide dog puppy, hopefully in the the next month. I am personally hoping for a black lab boy, but I would love any puppy! I am slightly concerned about receiving a GR/Lab cross, i am sure they would be lovely dogs but I do worry about where they come from and if the parents have been health tested as I know a lot of "purebred" labs (doubt they were from a good breeder though, possibly a pet shop or a BYBer) that have had alot of health issues costing the owner 1000's of dollars.

If guide dogs are found to have health issues such as hip or elbow dysplaisa, then i assume they can't continue to become guide dogs or therapy dogs, therefore the puppy raiser would be obliged to keep them? Obviously I would not just give a dog up because of health issues, but it would be a shame especially if they could have been avoided in the first place!

As an interesting side note, there was a studying which suggested that female yellow labs were the most likely to become guide dogs (ie pass the test) and that female GRs were least likely. They did not have even numbers in each group though and there was only a few GRs in total. But still, interesting.

Edited by aussielover

I will be looking at this thread with interest since I have always wanted to know! I adore Labs (never met one I didn’t like) and always wonder how different are they to my goldies.

Ithought they did have thier own breeding program? Btu also got pups donated by reg breeders?

I have a female golden, at 4 yrs of age she is still high maintenance LOL. She would have been a huge fat FAIL as a guide dog! She has the concentration span of a goldfish!

The golden guide dogs I have seen have tended to be on the smaller/weedy side. I am assuming becuase a smaller dog is more practical costs less to feed etc.

Edited by indigirl

Guide dogs victoria has their own program, but guide dogs NSW doesn't. I think they said its just not worth the hassle, even with a specific breeding program, success rates are only 40-60%. Guide dogs NSW, has a success rate of around 50%, and they try to go back to breeders they have had success with in the past.

I always found labs to be the 'wombats' of the two ... and GR's to be a bit more on the refined and gentle side . Labs would walk thru you..and GR would stop and consider it first, and apologise afterwards :D

I always found labs to be the 'wombats' of the two ... and GR's to be a bit more on the refined and gentle side . Labs would walk thru you..and GR would stop and consider it first, and apologise afterwards :D

:D .... I love your comparison description. It's so apt.

I've got a male lab and male goldie.

Harvey the lab is more 'focused', happy for a cuddle, but would prefer to 'do' stuff with you (Walking, gardening etc). He greets everyone for a pat and is then happy to wander off and chew on a toy.

Bailey is much more devoted to me and a big smoocher (read velcro dog!). He is very attentive to people. but he is also a bit goof, a bit slower at training, and will loose all focus if he see's a duck!

Ithought they did have thier own breeding program? Btu also got pups donated by reg breeders?

I have a female golden, at 4 yrs of age she is still high maintenance LOL. She would have been a huge fat FAIL as a guide dog! She has the concentration span of a goldfish!

The golden guide dogs I have seen have tended to be on the smaller/weedy side. I am assuming becuase a smaller dog is more practical costs less to feed etc.

It's not about costs (I guess that's a bonus though) - it's about the dog being able to fit into small spaces, e.g. on public transport, in the foot area of a car, without getting in the way/being uncomfortable - the dog has to be able to fit with the owner wherever they go

One of Gypsy's littermates (a boy) was going to become an assistance dog, the breeder said they've taken a few of her puppies in the past

ETA: I did think though that when they did crosses (GR x Lab) they did them 'in-house' - wasn't there a Lab breeder on here a while ago who was contacted about letting their dog be used over a GR bitch? (might've been Vic though...).

Wherever they get them from I'm sure they've done the health testing though - they're very strict from what I've heard about only taking puppies from parents with very good scores for hips/heart/eyes not just good temperaments

Edited by Serket

Why don't you ask Guide Dogs NSW?

I think it is a very reasonable question to ask.

I believe Qld breed most of their own dogs or only use dogs from proven previous working stock. I believe the breeding dogs are all tested to the highest possible health standards and I think Qld have a success rate of pups graduating at around 80%

If you are raising a puppy and it fails the dog usually goes onto being a companion dog, corrective services or their ambassador program. If they decide to rehome a failed puppy the puppy raiser may get first preference but they would not automatically be expected to keep the pup.

I would like to be a puppy raiser or give a home to their breeding dogs.

Best wishes with your pup.

Guide dogs have their own lines that they take dogs from. My 2 boys are both from guide dog lines. :D

6 out of 7 puppies in Rovers litter went to guide dogs, 3 made it through :D .

Riddicks litter was supposed to go to guide dogs but the bitch got sick while pregnant so the puppies had to be kept longer.

Anne Murray is the main lady in NSW that I know of that provides dogs for Guide Dogs. She also has various breeders who she either knows or who have dogs from her that they are now breeding that are also used for guide dogs :).

They are health tested extensively, as any ethical breeder does :rofl:.

The difference in temperament that I've noticed is that goldys seem to be softer. Where as Labradors are more the Boof Heads of the dog world :D

Theres a exception to every rule though :rofl:

GD's are not only smaller for th space factor .. owners are matched to their dogs. Smaller dogs may well be better for an older more lightly built person. A chunky shorter dog may well be MUCH better at working thru crowds on a regular city commute- and a leggy tall dog may well suit someone who does lots of exercise or perhaps needs a taller dog so they can 'feel' more direction.

Matching dogs to owners was always fascinating to me... dogs with low/high body sensitivity- dogs who could cope with country rough paths and livestock dogs who would be forceful enough to barrel safely thru dense crowds, dogs who were astute enough to work in different cities/towns regularly..and dogs who were placid and non-demanding enough to be easily handled on regular simple routes .... it certainly was/is not 'one size fits all' :D

Coat was also important ... ,as was pigment on pads/nose .

My breeder was approached to use her male for VIC guide dog's program.

They want to wait and see what his producing first re hip scores ect.

My guy's would fail for sure. They'd be to buzy trying to get pat's from people to do their job. :thumbsup:

I think it really depends on the dog.

I have a female Golden (16 months) and a black male lab (14 months).

They are both SO different! Lol! Chalk and cheese really.

My Golden is hyper and crazy and my Lab is placid and is basically a gentle giant. Both dogs were treated exactly the same!

My Lab came from a litter of 10. 2 of them went to Guide Dogs Victoria. I don't think Jett would have been accepted because he's so big (nearly 40 kgs)!

The difference in temperament that I've noticed is that goldys seem to be softer. Where as Labradors are more the Boof Heads of the dog world :thumbsup:

Theres a exception to every rule though :laugh:

;) My lab has a huge boof head. His nickname is "Boofer" and he barely recognises his real name now!

Bailey is much more devoted to me and a big smoocher (read velcro dog!). He is very attentive to people. but he is also a bit goof, a bit slower at training, and will loose all focus if he see's a duck!

:thumbsup: Sounds just like Honey!! Except for the devotion- she is a complete tart and will take pats ALL DAY from anyone who will do it.

My guy's would fail for sure. They'd be to buzy trying to get pat's from people to do their job. :rofl:

:laugh: Typical Labs! Mine would fail too. He just wants to lick everyone to death!

They are GRs!! ;)

Labradors are better looking, better temperament, smarter and overall just a better breed. :mad... moreso if they are black :mad

:cry: Although I must say i love goldies too they are very special dogs