De-sexing Debate

Should non breeders legally be made to de-sex their pet?  

272 members have voted

1. 1. Should non breeders legally be made to de-sex their pet?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (please specify)

IMO all pets should be desexed. There is no real reason for them not to be. Desexed dogs are less likely to have exert their authority (note I said less likely).

There are wayyyyyy too many irresponsible dog owners who have accidents or intentionally backyard breed.

Registered breeders also need to be more diligent with what they are selling and who they are selling them to. Too many pups are going with papers (and without papers), not desexed. I hear so many general public saying they have a champion bloodlined purebred, it should (and does) get bred to any other dog of the same breed or to crossbreed in smaller ones. They feel that because it came from a registered breeder, it gives them the extra clearance that they would be breeding appropriately ie. "of champion lines".

ANKC need to make a concerted effort to make showing desexed dogs worthwhile. This means pet dogs can still support the capabilities of the entire parentage. Nobody has really put effort into it from what I've seen, it has never really got off the ground.

I voted yes - I think you are onto something here but it would need to be handled carefully and not just be completely mandatory. There needs to be reliable and policed exceptions for those with good reason not to desex. As for the chances of it being successful, it will be about as successful as the understaffed Council run shelters are..... In ACT all dogs over 6mths old must be desexed unless a levy is paid for an entire animal. Hmm I don't think I have EVER heard of one person being prosecuted in the several years this has been in place. In fact, I don't think a lot of the regular public even know.

You can only screen so far,a lot of people are very aware of what breeders want to hear,they will quite happily sign a contract knowing full well they will not stand up in court,once the dog is in their possession they can do what they like and they know it.So desexing contracts,non-breeding contracts etc arent worth the paper they are written on.This is on one solicitors advice anyway.

I am looking at desexing before leaving,i know the risks for a giant breed,but after seeing quite a few byb using bloodhounds now,what choice is there.?

I dont think mandatory desexing is the way to go,more education starting at school level maybe.My daughter had a group of friends whose mothers were in an "oodle" club,they all had several litters a year between them and couldnt see the problem,maybe if they had to visit the pound one day it may change there mind.So whenever these girls used to come and stay i did my part to educate them!!!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No

People shouldn't automatically be classed as uneducated or irresponsible because they own a pet dog.The idea of mandatory desexing interferes with the traditional relationship between veterinarians and their animal patients' owners. The decision to perform surgery on a pet should not be taken over by government and pet owners should have the right to make informed decisions.

Risks and benefits vary greatly. Breed, age gender and other variables need to be taken into account. None of the medical literature supports a situation which dictates that a dog should be desexed without these variables being taken into account in consultation with the dog owner and their veterinarian.

Take a good look at this and then tell me I shouldn't have the right to know the risks and make a decision for my dog which I think is best.

I love my dogs I see them with almost as much value as I do my human family and some people don't have any human family.I want the right to manage my dogs based on what suits me and what I think is best for them regardless of whether I'm a breeder or not.

Advantages of spay or neuter

• Eliminates risk of testicular cancer (most are benign in behaviour)

• Reduces risk of mammary cancer (if performed before 2.5 years of age)

• Reduces risk of pyometra (uterine infection)

• Eliminates risk of uterine tumours (given uterus is removed)

• Eliminates risk of ovarian cancer

• Reduces risk of prostatic hyperplasia and inflammation

• Reduces risk of benign perianal tumours in dogs

• Reduces urine marking, mounting. May reduce roaming

Disadvantages of spay or neuter

• Decreased life span

• Increases risk of urinary incontinence (in both bitches and dogs)

• Increases risk of obesity

• Increases risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer)

• Increases risk of prostatic cancer

• Increases risk of bladder cancer

• Increases risk of cardiac haemangiosarcoma

• Increases risk of splenic haemangiosarcoma in spayed bitches

• Increases risk of cholangiocarcinoma (cancer of bile ducts) in spayed bitches

• Increases risk of cranial cruciate ligament injury

• Increases risk of patellar luxation in small- and medium-sized dogs

• Increases risk of adverse vaccine reactions

• Increases risk of myasthenia gravis in spayed bitches

• Increases risk of pancreatitis in spayed bitches

• Increases risk of aggression, fearfulness

• Increases cognitive impairment in aged dogs already showing signs of disease

• Increases risk of benign perianal tumours in spayed bitches

• Increases risk of peri-vulvar dermatitis, vaginitis, cystitis and recurrent urinary tract infections in early-age spayed bitches

Loss of testosterone is directly correlated to: heart disease and myocardial infarction, strokes and cardiovascular disease, senile dementia, osteoporosis and hip fracture.

In human beings testosterone has an important role in the regulation of normal growth, bone metabolism and body composition. Specifically, testosterone deficiency is an important risk factor for osteoporosis and fractures in men. Men with testosterone deficiency have significant decreases in bone density, particularly in the trabecular bone compartment. Testosterone deficiency has been reported in over half of elderly men with a history of hip fracture. Men with testosterone deficiency also have alterations in body composition that include an increase in body fat. Using quantitative CT scans to assess fat distribution, we have shown that testosterone deficiency is associated with an alteration in site-specific adipose deposition with increased deposits in all areas, particularly in the subcutaneous and muscle areas.

Because truncal fat correlates with glucose intolerance and cardiovascular risk, hypogonadism may have important implications with regard to overall health and mortality. In one study, the alteration in skeletal muscle composition was associated with a decrease in muscle strength. Therefore, testosterone deficiency is associated with an enhanced risk for osteoporosis, altered body composition including increases in truncal fat, and, possibly, decreases in muscle performance.

Loss of estrogen leads to an acceleration of the bone-degradation process, which in turn results in a loss of bone mass and a raised risk for incurring bone fractures (osteoporosis). Loss of this hormone also causes violent mood swings, irritability, and depression.

In human beings, a drop in the production of sexual hormones can have considerable consequences for the emotional world of women. Many menopausal women observe a reduction of their general performance, an increasing forgetfulness, an impaired fine motoricity, and a diminution in their powers of memory and of planned, targeted, flexible and adaptable thought. Furthermore, many women display a tendency towards pronounced fluctuations in their mood, and even massive symptoms of depression. Very recent studies indicate that estrogen deficiency also increases the risk for Alzheimer's disease.

The process of aging and the regression of the sexual hormones also involves a degradation of the muscle mass. This results in a deterioration of the coordination of body movements and enhances the tendency for falls. The elasticity of the joints also diminishes. The joints become stiff and painful, especially upon rising in the morning. This is due to the reduction in the production of collagen and a reduced storage of water as a consequence of the estrogen deficiency

References

1. http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/b...vet/neutr.html2 Pollari FL, NEUTERING MALE AND FEMALE DOGS Mary C Wake man dmv

2. Bonnett BN, Bamsey, SC, Meek, AH, Allen, DG (1996) Postoperative complications of elective surgeries in dogs and cats determined by examining electronic and medical records. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 208, 1882-1886 http://veterinaryrecord.bvapublications.co...ract/157/26/829

3 Dorn AS, Swist RA. (1977) Complications of canine ovariohysterectomy. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association 13, 720-724 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...dccb85001e9b293

4 Pollari FL, Bonnett BN. Evaluation of postoperative complications following elective surgeries of dogs and cats at private practices using computer records, Can Vet J. 1996 November; 37(11): 672–678

5 Teske E, Naan EC, van Dijk EM, van Garderen E, Schalken JA. Canine prostate carcinoma: epidemiological evidence of an increased risk in castrated dogs. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2002 Nov 29;197(1-2):251-5

6 Sorenmo KU, Goldschmidt M, Shofer F, Ferrocone J. Immunohistochemical characterization of canine prostatic carcinoma and correlation with castration status and castration time. Vet Comparative Oncology. 2003 Mar; 1 (1): 48

7 Weaver, AD. Fifteen cases of prostatic carcinoma in the dog. Vet Rec. 1981; 109, 71-75

8 Cohen D, Reif JS, Brodey RS, et al: Epidemiological analysis of the most prevalent sites and types of canine neoplasia observed in a veterinary hospital. Cancer Res 34:2859-2868, 1974

9 Theilen GH, Madewell BR. Tumors of the genital system. Part II. In:Theilen GH, Madewell BR, eds. Veterinary cancer medicine. 2nd ed. Lea and Febinger, 1987:583–600

10 Glickman LT, Glickman N, Thorpe R. The Golden Retriever Club of America National Health Survey 1998-1999 http://www.vet.purdue.edu//epi/golden_retriever_final22.pdf

11 Handbook of Small Animal Practice, 3rd ed

12 Hayes HM Jr, Pendergrass TW. Canine testicular tumors: epidemiologic features of 410 dogs. Int J Cancer 1976 Oct 15;18(4):482-7

13 Ru G, Terracini B, Glickman LT. (1998) Host-related risk factors for canine osteosarcoma. Vet J 1998 Jul;156(1):31-9

14 Cooley DM, Beranek BC, Schlittler DL, Glickman NW, Glickman LT, Waters DJ. Endogenous gonadal

hormone exposure and bone sarcoma risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2002 Nov;11(11):1434-40

15 Moe L. Population-based incidence of mammary tumours in some dog breeds. J of Reproduction and Fertility Supplement 57, 439-443

16 Ferguson HR; Vet Clinics of N Amer: Small Animal Practice; Vol 15, No 3, May 1985

17 MacEwen EG, Patnaik AK, Harvey HJ Oestrogen receptors in canine mammary tumors. Cancer Res., 42: 2255-2259, 1982

18 Schneider, R, Dorn, CR, Taylor, DON. Factors Influencing Canine Mammary Cancer Development and Post-surgical Survival. J Natl Cancer Institute, Vol 43, No 6, Dec. 1969

19 Feinleib M: Breast cancer and artificial menopause: A cohort study. J Nat Cancer Inst 41: 315-329, 1968

20 Dorn CR and Schneider R. Inbreeding and canine mammary cancer. A retrospective study. J Natl Cancer Inst. 57: 545-548, 1976

21 Brodey RS: Canine and feline neoplasia. Adv Vet Sci Comp Med 14:309-354, 1970

22 Hayes A, Harvey H J: Treatment of metastatic granulosa cell tumor in a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 174:1304-1306, 1979 Page 10 of 12

23 Norris AM, Laing EJ, Valli VE, Withrow SJ. J Vet Intern Med 1992 May; 6(3):145-53

24 Prymak C, McKee LJ, Goldschmidt MH, Glickman LT. Epidemiologic, clinical, pathologic, and prognostic characteristics of splenic hemangiosarcoma and splenic hematoma in dogs: 217 cases (1985). J Am Vet Med Assoc 1988 Sep; 193(6):706-12

25 Ware WA, Hopper, DL. Cardiac Tumors in Dogs: 1982-1995. J Vet Intern Med 1999;13:95–103

26 Panciera DL. Hypothyroidism in dogs: 66 cases (1987-1992). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1994 Mar 1;204(5):761-7

27 Panciera DL. Canine hypothyroidism. Part I. Clinical findings and control of thyroid hormone secretion and metabolism. Compend Contin Pract Vet 1990: 12: 689-701. 28

28 Glickman LT, Glickman N, Raghaven M, The Akita Club of America National Health Survey 2000-2001 http://www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/akita_final_2.pdf

29 Glickman LT, HogenEsch H, Raghavan M, Edinboro C, Scott-Moncrieff C. Final Report to the Hayward Foundation and The Great Dane Health Foundation of a Study Titled Vaccinosis in Great Danes. 1 Jan 2004

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/great_dane_v...eport_jan04.pdf

30 Edney AT, Smith PM. Study of obesity in dogs visiting veterinary practices in the United Kingdom. .Vet Rec. 1986 Apr 5;118(14):391-6

31 McGreevy PD, Thomson PC, Pride C, Fawcett A, Grassi T, Jones B. Prevalence of obesity in dogs examined by Australian veterinary practices and the risk factors involved. Vet Rec. 2005 May 28;156(22):695-702

32 Lund EM, Armstrong PJ, Kirk, CA, Klausner, JS. Prevalence and Risk Factors for Obesity in Adult Dogs from Private US Veterinary Practices. Intern J Appl Res Vet Med • Vol. 4, No. 2, 2006

33 Marmor M, Willeberg P, Glickman LT, Priester WA, Cypess RH, Hurvitz AI. Epizootiologic patterns of diabetes mellitus in dogs Am J Vet Res. 1982 Mar;43(3):465-70

34 Moore GE, Guptill LF, Ward MP, Glickman NW, Faunt KF, Lewis HB, Glickman LT. Adverse events diagnosed within three days of vaccine administration in dogs. JAVMA Vol 227, No 7, Oct 1, 2005

35 Thrusfield MV, Holt PE, Muirhead RH. Acquired urinary incontinence in bitches: its incidence and relationship to sterilisation practices.. J Small Anim Pract. 1998. Dec;39(12):559-66

36 Stocklin-Gautschi NM, Hassig M, Reichler IM, Hubler M, Arnold S. The relationship of urinary incontinence to early spaying in bitches. J Reprod Fertil Suppl. 2001;57:233-6

37 Arnold S, Arnold P, Hubler M, Casal M, and Rüsch P. Urinary Incontinence in spayed bitches: prevalence and breed disposition. European Journal of Campanion Animal Practice. 131, 259-263

38 Thrusfield MV 1985 Association between urinary incontinence and spaying in bitches Vet Rec 116 695

39 Richter KP, Ling V. Clinical response and urethral pressure profile changes after phenypropanolamine in dogs with primary sphincter incompetence. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1985: 187: 605-611

40 Holt PE. Urinary incontinence in dogs and cats. Vet Rec 1990: 127: 347-350

41 Seguin MA, Vaden SL, Altier C, Stone E, Levine JF (2003) Persistent Urinary Tract Infections and Reinfections in 100 Dogs (1989–1999). Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine: Vol. 17, No. 5 pp. 622–631

42 Spain CV, Scarlett JM, Houpt KA. Long-term risks and benefits of early-age gonadectomy in dogs. JAVMA 2004;224:380-387

43 Verstegen-Onclin K, Verstegen J. Non-reproductive Effects of Spaying and Sterilisation: Effects on the Urogenital System. Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Non-Surgical Contraceptive Methods for Pet Population Control

http://www.acc-d.org/2006%20Symposium%20Docs/Session%20I.pdf

44 Hagman R: New aspects of canine pyometra. Doctoral thesis, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, 2004. Page 11 of 12

45.Chastain CB, Panciera D, Waters C: Associations between age, parity, hormonal therapy and breed, and pyometra in Finnish dogs. Small Animal Endocrinal 1999; 9: 8

46 Killingsworth CR, Walshaw R, Dunstan RW, Rosser, EJ. Bacterial population and histologic changes in dogs with perianal fistula. Am J Vet Res, Vol 49, No. 10, Oct 1988

47 Johnston SD, Kamolpatana K, Root-Kustritz MV, Johnston GR, Prostatic disorders in the dog. Anim Reprod. Sci Jul 2;60-61:405-415

48 Dannuccia GA, Martin RB., Patterson-Buckendahl P Ovariectomy and trabecular bone remodeling in the dog. Calcif Tissue Int 1986; 40: 194-199

49 Martin RB, Butcher RL, Sherwood L,L Buckendahl P, Boyd RD, Farris D, Sharkey N,Dannucci G.Effects of ovariectomy in beagle dogs.Bone 1987; 8:23-31

50 Salmeri KR, Bloomberg MS, Scruggs SL, Shille V. Gonadectomy in immature dogs: Effects on skeletal, physical, and behavioral development, JAVMA, Vol 198, No. 7, April 1991

51 Whitehair JG, Vasseur PB, Willits NH. Epidemiology of cranial cruciate ligament rupture in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1993 Oct 1;203(7):1016-9

52 Glickman LT, Airedale Terrier Club of America, Airedale Terrier Health Survey 2000-2001

http://www.vet.purdue.edu//epi/Airedale%20...ort_revised.pdf 53

53.van Hagen MA, Ducro BJ, van den Broek J, Knol BW. Incidence, risk factors, and heritability estimates of hind limb lameness caused by hip dysplasia in a birth cohort of boxers. Am J Vet Res. 2005 Feb;66(2):307-12

54 B. Vidoni, I. Sommerfeld-Stur und E. Eisenmenger: Diagnostic and genetic aspects of patellar luxation in small and miniature breed dogs in Austria. Wien.Tierarztl.Mschr. (2005) 92, p170 – 181

55 Hart BL. Effect of gonadectomy on subsequent development of age-related cognitive impairment in dogs J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2001 Jul 1;219(1):51-6

There are numerous reasons why non breeders would keep a dog entire. Showing is the main one that would apply to the people on this forum. There are plenty of medical reasons for not desexing till ater i.e allowing a dog to physically mature to stop things like elongation of the long bones, inverted uterus etc. It would also depend on what you classify as a registered breeder. There are plenty of legitimate breeders on other registries than the ANKC i.e the working registries, greyhounds.

It is not really a question of mandatory desexing but of responsible ownership.

I agree with this post. Its responsible ownership that needs to be promoted, educate people why they shouldnt breed. Mandatory desexing is not going to stop owners of unregistered dogs breeding.

No

People shouldn't automatically be classed as uneducated or irresponsible because they own a pet dog.The idea of mandatory desexing interferes with the traditional relationship between veterinarians and their animal patients' owners. The decision to perform surgery on a pet should not be taken over by government and pet owners should have the right to make informed decisions.

Risks and benefits vary greatly. Breed, age gender and other variables need to be taken into account. None of the medical literature supports a situation which dictates that a dog should be desexed without these variables being taken into account in consultation with the dog owner and their veterinarian.

Take a good look at this and then tell me I shouldn't have the right to know the risks and make a decision for my dog which I think is best.

I love my dogs I see them with almost as much value as I do my human family and some people don't have any human family.I want the right to manage my dogs based on what suits me and what I think is best for them regardless of whether I'm a breeder or not.

Advantages of spay or neuter

• Eliminates risk of testicular cancer (most are benign in behaviour)

• Reduces risk of mammary cancer (if performed before 2.5 years of age)

• Reduces risk of pyometra (uterine infection)

• Eliminates risk of uterine tumours (given uterus is removed)

• Eliminates risk of ovarian cancer

• Reduces risk of prostatic hyperplasia and inflammation

• Reduces risk of benign perianal tumours in dogs

• Reduces urine marking, mounting. May reduce roaming

• Decreased life span

• Increases risk of peri-vulvar dermatitis, vaginitis, cystitis and recurrent urinary tract infections in early-age spayed bitches

Loss of testosterone is directly correlated to: heart disease and myocardial infarction, strokes and cardiovascular disease, senile dementia, osteoporosis and hip fracture.

In human beings testosterone has an important role in the regulation of normal growth, bone metabolism and body composition. Specifically, testosterone deficiency is an important risk factor for osteoporosis and fractures in men. Men with testosterone deficiency have significant decreases in bone density, particularly in the trabecular bone compartment. Testosterone deficiency has been reported in over half of elderly men with a history of hip fracture. Men with testosterone deficiency also have alterations in body composition that include an increase in body fat. Using quantitative CT scans to assess fat distribution, we have shown that testosterone deficiency is associated with an alteration in site-specific adipose deposition with increased deposits in all areas, particularly in the subcutaneous and muscle areas.

Because truncal fat correlates with glucose intolerance and cardiovascular risk, hypogonadism may have important implications with regard to overall health and mortality. In one study, the alteration in skeletal muscle composition was associated with a decrease in muscle strength. Therefore, testosterone deficiency is associated with an enhanced risk for osteoporosis, altered body composition including increases in truncal fat, and, possibly, decreases in muscle performance.

Loss of estrogen leads to an acceleration of the bone-degradation process, which in turn results in a loss of bone mass and a raised risk for incurring bone fractures (osteoporosis). Loss of this hormone also causes violent mood swings, irritability, and depression.

In human beings, a drop in the production of sexual hormones can have considerable consequences for the emotional world of women. Many menopausal women observe a reduction of their general performance, an increasing forgetfulness, an impaired fine motoricity, and a diminution in their powers of memory and of planned, targeted, flexible and adaptable thought. Furthermore, many women display a tendency towards pronounced fluctuations in their mood, and even massive symptoms of depression. Very recent studies indicate that estrogen deficiency also increases the risk for Alzheimer's disease.

The process of aging and the regression of the sexual hormones also involves a degradation of the muscle mass. This results in a deterioration of the coordination of body movements and enhances the tendency for falls. The elasticity of the joints also diminishes. The joints become stiff and painful, especially upon rising in the morning. This is due to the reduction in the production of collagen and a reduced storage of water as a consequence of the estrogen deficiency

References

1. http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/b...vet/neutr.html2 Pollari FL, NEUTERING MALE AND FEMALE DOGS Mary C Wake man dmv

2. Bonnett BN, Bamsey, SC, Meek, AH, Allen, DG (1996) Postoperative complications of elective surgeries in dogs and cats determined by examining electronic and medical records. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 208, 1882-1886 http://veterinaryrecord.bvapublications.co...ract/157/26/829

3 Dorn AS, Swist RA. (1977) Complications of canine ovariohysterectomy. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association 13, 720-724 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...dccb85001e9b293

4 Pollari FL, Bonnett BN. Evaluation of postoperative complications following elective surgeries of dogs and cats at private practices using computer records, Can Vet J. 1996 November; 37(11): 672–678

5 Teske E, Naan EC, van Dijk EM, van Garderen E, Schalken JA. Canine prostate carcinoma: epidemiological evidence of an increased risk in castrated dogs. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2002 Nov 29;197(1-2):251-5

6 Sorenmo KU, Goldschmidt M, Shofer F, Ferrocone J. Immunohistochemical characterization of canine prostatic carcinoma and correlation with castration status and castration time. Vet Comparative Oncology. 2003 Mar; 1 (1): 48

7 Weaver, AD. Fifteen cases of prostatic carcinoma in the dog. Vet Rec. 1981; 109, 71-75

8 Cohen D, Reif JS, Brodey RS, et al: Epidemiological analysis of the most prevalent sites and types of canine neoplasia observed in a veterinary hospital. Cancer Res 34:2859-2868, 1974

9 Theilen GH, Madewell BR. Tumors of the genital system. Part II. In:Theilen GH, Madewell BR, eds. Veterinary cancer medicine. 2nd ed. Lea and Febinger, 1987:583–600

10 Glickman LT, Glickman N, Thorpe R. The Golden Retriever Club of America National Health Survey 1998-1999 http://www.vet.purdue.edu//epi/golden_retriever_final22.pdf

11 Handbook of Small Animal Practice, 3rd ed

12 Hayes HM Jr, Pendergrass TW. Canine testicular tumors: epidemiologic features of 410 dogs. Int J Cancer 1976 Oct 15;18(4):482-7

13 Ru G, Terracini B, Glickman LT. (1998) Host-related risk factors for canine osteosarcoma. Vet J 1998 Jul;156(1):31-9

14 Cooley DM, Beranek BC, Schlittler DL, Glickman NW, Glickman LT, Waters DJ. Endogenous gonadal

hormone exposure and bone sarcoma risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2002 Nov;11(11):1434-40

15 Moe L. Population-based incidence of mammary tumours in some dog breeds. J of Reproduction and Fertility Supplement 57, 439-443

16 Ferguson HR; Vet Clinics of N Amer: Small Animal Practice; Vol 15, No 3, May 1985

17 MacEwen EG, Patnaik AK, Harvey HJ Oestrogen receptors in canine mammary tumors. Cancer Res., 42: 2255-2259, 1982

18 Schneider, R, Dorn, CR, Taylor, DON. Factors Influencing Canine Mammary Cancer Development and Post-surgical Survival. J Natl Cancer Institute, Vol 43, No 6, Dec. 1969

19 Feinleib M: Breast cancer and artificial menopause: A cohort study. J Nat Cancer Inst 41: 315-329, 1968

20 Dorn CR and Schneider R. Inbreeding and canine mammary cancer. A retrospective study. J Natl Cancer Inst. 57: 545-548, 1976

21 Brodey RS: Canine and feline neoplasia. Adv Vet Sci Comp Med 14:309-354, 1970

22 Hayes A, Harvey H J: Treatment of metastatic granulosa cell tumor in a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 174:1304-1306, 1979 Page 10 of 12

23 Norris AM, Laing EJ, Valli VE, Withrow SJ. J Vet Intern Med 1992 May; 6(3):145-53

24 Prymak C, McKee LJ, Goldschmidt MH, Glickman LT. Epidemiologic, clinical, pathologic, and prognostic characteristics of splenic hemangiosarcoma and splenic hematoma in dogs: 217 cases (1985). J Am Vet Med Assoc 1988 Sep; 193(6):706-12

25 Ware WA, Hopper, DL. Cardiac Tumors in Dogs: 1982-1995. J Vet Intern Med 1999;13:95–103

26 Panciera DL. Hypothyroidism in dogs: 66 cases (1987-1992). J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1994 Mar 1;204(5):761-7

27 Panciera DL. Canine hypothyroidism. Part I. Clinical findings and control of thyroid hormone secretion and metabolism. Compend Contin Pract Vet 1990: 12: 689-701. 28

28 Glickman LT, Glickman N, Raghaven M, The Akita Club of America National Health Survey 2000-2001 http://www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/akita_final_2.pdf

29 Glickman LT, HogenEsch H, Raghavan M, Edinboro C, Scott-Moncrieff C. Final Report to the Hayward Foundation and The Great Dane Health Foundation of a Study Titled Vaccinosis in Great Danes. 1 Jan 2004

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/great_dane_v...eport_jan04.pdf

30 Edney AT, Smith PM. Study of obesity in dogs visiting veterinary practices in the United Kingdom. .Vet Rec. 1986 Apr 5;118(14):391-6

31 McGreevy PD, Thomson PC, Pride C, Fawcett A, Grassi T, Jones B. Prevalence of obesity in dogs examined by Australian veterinary practices and the risk factors involved. Vet Rec. 2005 May 28;156(22):695-702

32 Lund EM, Armstrong PJ, Kirk, CA, Klausner, JS. Prevalence and Risk Factors for Obesity in Adult Dogs from Private US Veterinary Practices. Intern J Appl Res Vet Med • Vol. 4, No. 2, 2006

33 Marmor M, Willeberg P, Glickman LT, Priester WA, Cypess RH, Hurvitz AI. Epizootiologic patterns of diabetes mellitus in dogs Am J Vet Res. 1982 Mar;43(3):465-70

34 Moore GE, Guptill LF, Ward MP, Glickman NW, Faunt KF, Lewis HB, Glickman LT. Adverse events diagnosed within three days of vaccine administration in dogs. JAVMA Vol 227, No 7, Oct 1, 2005

35 Thrusfield MV, Holt PE, Muirhead RH. Acquired urinary incontinence in bitches: its incidence and relationship to sterilisation practices.. J Small Anim Pract. 1998. Dec;39(12):559-66

36 Stocklin-Gautschi NM, Hassig M, Reichler IM, Hubler M, Arnold S. The relationship of urinary incontinence to early spaying in bitches. J Reprod Fertil Suppl. 2001;57:233-6

37 Arnold S, Arnold P, Hubler M, Casal M, and Rüsch P. Urinary Incontinence in spayed bitches: prevalence and breed disposition. European Journal of Campanion Animal Practice. 131, 259-263

38 Thrusfield MV 1985 Association between urinary incontinence and spaying in bitches Vet Rec 116 695

39 Richter KP, Ling V. Clinical response and urethral pressure profile changes after phenypropanolamine in dogs with primary sphincter incompetence. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1985: 187: 605-611

40 Holt PE. Urinary incontinence in dogs and cats. Vet Rec 1990: 127: 347-350

41 Seguin MA, Vaden SL, Altier C, Stone E, Levine JF (2003) Persistent Urinary Tract Infections and Reinfections in 100 Dogs (1989–1999). Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine: Vol. 17, No. 5 pp. 622–631

42 Spain CV, Scarlett JM, Houpt KA. Long-term risks and benefits of early-age gonadectomy in dogs. JAVMA 2004;224:380-387

43 Verstegen-Onclin K, Verstegen J. Non-reproductive Effects of Spaying and Sterilisation: Effects on the Urogenital System. Proceedings of the Third International Symposium on Non-Surgical Contraceptive Methods for Pet Population Control

http://www.acc-d.org/2006%20Symposium%20Docs/Session%20I.pdf

44 Hagman R: New aspects of canine pyometra. Doctoral thesis, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, 2004. Page 11 of 12

45.Chastain CB, Panciera D, Waters C: Associations between age, parity, hormonal therapy and breed, and pyometra in Finnish dogs. Small Animal Endocrinal 1999; 9: 8

46 Killingsworth CR, Walshaw R, Dunstan RW, Rosser, EJ. Bacterial population and histologic changes in dogs with perianal fistula. Am J Vet Res, Vol 49, No. 10, Oct 1988

47 Johnston SD, Kamolpatana K, Root-Kustritz MV, Johnston GR, Prostatic disorders in the dog. Anim Reprod. Sci Jul 2;60-61:405-415

48 Dannuccia GA, Martin RB., Patterson-Buckendahl P Ovariectomy and trabecular bone remodeling in the dog. Calcif Tissue Int 1986; 40: 194-199

49 Martin RB, Butcher RL, Sherwood L,L Buckendahl P, Boyd RD, Farris D, Sharkey N,Dannucci G.Effects of ovariectomy in beagle dogs.Bone 1987; 8:23-31

50 Salmeri KR, Bloomberg MS, Scruggs SL, Shille V. Gonadectomy in immature dogs: Effects on skeletal, physical, and behavioral development, JAVMA, Vol 198, No. 7, April 1991

51 Whitehair JG, Vasseur PB, Willits NH. Epidemiology of cranial cruciate ligament rupture in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1993 Oct 1;203(7):1016-9

52 Glickman LT, Airedale Terrier Club of America, Airedale Terrier Health Survey 2000-2001

http://www.vet.purdue.edu//epi/Airedale%20...ort_revised.pdf 53

53.van Hagen MA, Ducro BJ, van den Broek J, Knol BW. Incidence, risk factors, and heritability estimates of hind limb lameness caused by hip dysplasia in a birth cohort of boxers. Am J Vet Res. 2005 Feb;66(2):307-12

54 B. Vidoni, I. Sommerfeld-Stur und E. Eisenmenger: Diagnostic and genetic aspects of patellar luxation in small and miniature breed dogs in Austria. Wien.Tierarztl.Mschr. (2005) 92, p170 – 181

55 Hart BL. Effect of gonadectomy on subsequent development of age-related cognitive impairment in dogs J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2001 Jul 1;219(1):51-6

I agree with you too! I have researched a lot of the information on pro and cons of desexing and it is up people to make an informed decision. I decided to desex my animals but it was informed and I know the risks and thats my responsibility.

I don't feel we need more legislation or laws, but we do need to address the issue. I think it is better addressed through education campaigns and possibly the creation of wide scale subsidised desexing programs.

It's a hard one.......I agree with Scarlet - the general public are "generally" not very good with dog management, and could not cope with entire animals in season. Of course we are generalising, but most of you who argue against this idea, are of course, dog nuts on a dog forum, and I would expect you all to be able to manage your entire dogs.

The whole idea of compulsory desexing is a tricky one. I would not want to have early desexing, I dont agree with that. And you would need an arm load of exceptions. But in general, I do think that "pets" should be desexed yes. All dogs leaving here for a pet home, are desexed. All my pet puppies need to be desexed. They can wait until the dog has finished growing, thats perfectly acceptable. But once that is reached, I expect them to be spayed or neutered.

.gif

I voted other - and am specifying. :love:

I personally do not believe enforcing a new law will necessarily change things. But, my main issue here is people who do not breed, but keep their dogs entire for either show, work, or sport. Many like to keep their working dogs entire as I believe they are better workers/performers? Don't quote me on that as I've never owned a dog specifically for work. Anyway, I personally believe the above are legitimate reasons if a person does not wish to desex.

If there could be a way to police people who get dogs solely as pets and think, "Hmm let's breed Flossie because she'd make cute pups/show kids the wonder of new life/make some money", then I'd be on board.

My view is, for general joe public, if you have a dog solely as a pet, why keep it entire?

ETA: We also need education campaigns specially designed for men, that teach them that desexing their male dog is not a personal attack upon their own nuts! :grouphug:

Edited by alexhegyesi

• Decreased life span

...and then there are Journal articles that debate the above disadvantages.

Like most things we all search out information that agrees with our pre-conceived beliefs.

This is such a hard one to decide about "forcing" people to desex dogs. In one way it makes complete sense to me and on the other hand so many freedoms are being stripped away in our society as it is. Hell I can't even cut down the rest of the dead tree at the side of the house unless I get council permission...ridiculous.

Why are breeders heralded as the only 'group' that are not dumb/are responsible enough to be the owners of entire/intact dogs? Breeders are not the only ones who have reason and cause to own entire/intact dogs.

Exactly!

and are registered breeders always breeding in benefit for the breed? For me a nest or 2 every year is more pups in the world as well, but because it's done under "registered breeding" it should all be alright!

And wouldn't more people just become "Registered Breeders". The rules don't seem to be controlled very well at present so what would be stopping people from becoming registered and producing pups and charging more for them.

I voted other - and am specifying. :cry:

My view is, for general joe public, if you have a dog solely as a pet, why keep it entire?

Because there is a significant increase in the risk of Osteosarcoma in Rottweiler's who are spayed or neutered. Personally I would prefer my dog to keep all of her limbs throughout her lifespan and not go through the trauma of chemo.

Why are breeders heralded as the only 'group' that are not dumb/are responsible enough to be the owners of entire/intact dogs? Breeders are not the only ones who have reason and cause to own entire/intact dogs.

Exactly!

and are registered breeders always breeding in benefit for the breed? For me a nest or 2 every year is more pups in the world as well, but because it's done under "registered breeding" it should all be alright!

And wouldn't more people just become "Registered Breeders". The rules don't seem to be controlled very well at present so what would be stopping people from becoming registered and producing pups and charging more for them.

Well diddley yes

you could probably push for Goverment sanctioned puppy farms?

That would keep the the puppy numbers up there

give the farms a big goverment accredited logo too

that'l make the process slick and clean as a whistle.

Edited by lilli

Absolutely not, perish the thought. I think its an outrage that people try and stand over pet owners and carry on about how they must de-sex their dogs :cry:

Most people don't even know what they are talking about, they just repeat the same thing they heard some other guy say.

My own dog is de-sexed. I had my reasons. I am not against de-sexing obviously in some circumstances, medical or otherwise, but I am strictly against the attitude of routine de-sexing.

I'm an 'other' voter.

I think people who do not breed or show should be encouraged, including potentially through the price of registration, to desex their dogs at a breed appropriate age. And also informed about both the health pros and cons and about what properly managing an entire dog, especially an entire bitch, entails so that their choice to do so or not is well informed.

But I don't think it should be compulsory.

I voted yes.

Mainly because the pups I currently have will be sterilised prior to being placed in their new homes. Note I said sterilised - not desexed. The boys will be having a vasectomy and the girls will be having tubal ligation. This maintains the pups hormone levels through those first 12 months of development. At 12 months of age I suggest that the owners then have them fully desexed.

I dont want any of my limit registered pups contributing to the cross breeding or backyard breeding world and I dont want my large breed to suffer from any developmental issues due to lack of hormones and sterilisation is the best option. To be honest I'm surprised more breeders dont do it.

I'm an 'other' voter.

I think people who do not breed or show should be encouraged, including potentially through the price of registration, to desex their dogs at a breed appropriate age. And also informed about both the health pros and cons and about what properly managing an entire dog, especially an entire bitch, entails so that their choice to do so or not is well informed.

Not compulsory but people with entire dogs should pay more registration?? If you see Steve his list there are more cons then pros so why do it anyway?

you DO NOT get less pups in the pound by compulsory desexing, you DO get less dogs in the pound if you can get the nations attitude (from people) towards dogs changed!

Not compulsory but people with entire dogs should pay more registration?? If you see Steve his list there are more cons then pros so why do it anyway?

I think the higher registration fees makes people actually think about the choice. Many people I know who have entire pets don't really understand a dog's reproductive cycle even. Something that makes them think about why they chose to leave their dogs entire, and makes that a conscious choice, I support. Not just leaving them entire because it's cheaper and requires no action.

Not going to debate on it though, just posting my considered opinion as the poll invites.

Edited by Diva

Guest Tess32

I believe it's MY dog and his health and decisions related to his health, is MY responsibility. If I choose to keep him entire because I don't see any medical benefits to desexing a male dog, that's my choice and should be.

I'm an 'other' voter.

Completely agree. I'm an other voter for the same reason - my GSD girl is desexed (she came that way as a FTGH) and my BC boy is entire and will remain so, he's on Main Register and my freind who is the breeder has expressed that she'd like to consider using him as stud in the future if he develops to his full potential, though don't know how he'll go considering he has a blue eye which is a major fault, but it's dog sports he's bred for so we'll see how he develops there and then make a decision about his future - if he wouldn't be used as stud (eg, not 100% on confirmation etc) then we'd choose to have him desexed. In the meantime though we will likely proceed with chemical castration if he's a real humper and we're wanting to go to agility comp's just incase there's someone a bit less responsible who takes a bitch on heat out.

I think the higher registration fee's is a pain but a necessary evil to try and disuade everyday pet owners who just can't be bothered desexing their mutts and then end up with puppies.

I think the higher registration fees makes people actually think about the choice. Many people I know who have entire pets don't really understand a dog's reproductive cycle even. Something that makes them think about why they chose to leave their dogs entire, and makes that a conscious choice, I support. Not just leaving them entire because it's cheaper and requires no action.

Not going to debate on it though, just posting my considered opinion as the poll invites.

And is that fair? Then I should pay a lot more to have entire dogs because there are some people with dogs that don’t even know what dog is?

Again it has to do with education and being responsible and not just let everybody pay a higher price because there are some nitwits around. Starting with kids already. Kids looking at animals in petshops?? Drag them away and tell them its not on. Friends that have a litter?? Tell them its nice but that it is not something everybody can have or do.