What Worming Suspension Do You Recommend...

ravensmyst00

Hi all,

As this is my first litter - I thought I might get a few opinions on worming suspensions. I have heard mixed reviews on many different brands ie Cannex, Troy and Drontel. I have even recently heard people have used Combatrin as it is supposedly has the same ingredients as the above names suspensions.

Any suggestions or advise on this topic would be much appreciated.

All the worming suspensions are pretty useless. For medium to large breeds it is a lot easier to use tablets broken into halves or quarters. I give them in some nutrigel and the puppies usually suck them off my finger. I have known of puppies to inhale the suspension as well, so not a product I would use again.

Besides that the litters I have used the suspension on all hated it and spat most of it out. It's amazing how far little babies can spit chocolate worming syrup.

Most vets are still of the opinion that they should be wormed at 2, 4, 6 and 8 weeks. I usually start at about 10 days so they don't end up being wormed on the same day as vaccination if you do it at either 6 or 8 weeks.

I've always used Troy as well. I changed my protocol for the Stafford litter after reading a thread on here and it was the wormiest litter I've EVER had!!!

Back to fortnightly Troy from 2 weeks for me!!

Yes Beck, you can, but it is not approved for use in dogs, so you buy the one for goats or cattle, and use that. I use it on my adult dogs, but never on the pups.

I do my pups with Drontal.

Isn't Troy the one you have to do 2 days running?

I have used Combantrim, and I have a couple of friends whose opinions I respect who never use anything but Combantrim - because of the price, and it works well. I did hear that it was difficult to get, or something had changed - but I am not sure.

Yes Beck, you can, but it is not approved for use in dogs, so you buy the one for goats or cattle, and use that. I use it on my adult dogs, but never on the pups.

I do my pups with Drontal.

Isn't Troy the one you have to do 2 days running?

I have used Combantrim, and I have a couple of friends whose opinions I respect who never use anything but Combantrim - because of the price, and it works well. I did hear that it was difficult to get, or something had changed - but I am not sure.

Troy is a one dose only. I do the pups with it at 2 weeks and at 4 weeks I use Paratak Plus tablets.

I find panacur more gentle on the tummies, even if it is a bit of a pita doing it 3 days running, it still only takes a couple of minutes to dose the litter.

I'm surprised it isn't licensed for dogs - as it also treats things like giardia and lung worm alongside the more normal wormies

I am sure there are many of us that use Panacur. Yes it is a good safe product.

I have had it dispensed by a University for a dog with chronic whip/hook worm burden.

This dog had been wormed with every known product to no avail and the Panacur is the only thing that worked.

Troy make a meat flavoured one which I have only been able to get on occasions. Puppies love that one. I usually worm at 3, 5, 7 wks, so if I can't get the meat one, I will use a half/quarter tablet instead. I hate using the pink and chocolate ones as the pups generally spit most of it out.

Troy for us as well. There are actually two different varieties of Troy on the market, we use the one with the green label which is one dose but the one with the red label says two days in a row I think.

Had a couple of pups have bad reactions to Canex several years ago so haven't used it since.