Mysterious Dog In Greek Riots

samoyedman

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100507/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1963

capt.a6c6e3df03a844c9a577011fc20e7672-a6c6e3df03a844c9a577011fc20e7672-0.jpg?x=400&y=269&q=85&sig=iL_MsmpWaKZtV6JTAbooww--

capt.2740093ffb2344c7a10c46be1ef8ada2-2740093ffb2344c7a10c46be1ef8ada2-0.jpg?x=400&y=250&q=85&sig=FldUgrQfrME71LxwrBoilw--

capt.eb9e77bb3e1b4b93b7efdeba70039de2-eb9e77bb3e1b4b93b7efdeba70039de2-0.jpg?x=400&y=322&q=85&sig=QfRZdZ5o6MAMbeTCxzi3kA--

capt.photo_1272680198303-1-0.jpg?x=400&y=266&q=85&sig=Gp7hyg08R41GZsiJkb9cCw--

It's a time-honored adage that anyone in Washington who wants a friend had better get a dog. But who knew that man's best friend would also be a boon to Greek rioters?

Amid the turmoil of the Greece financial crisis, photos and videos of street protests have turned up a kind of canine "Where's Waldo" figure: a mutt that may have some German shepherd genes, and clearly has a strong interest in civic disorder.

While one can't be certain that it's the same pooch at every protest — Athens is something of a magnet for street-savvy stray dogs — this mutt does sport a distinctive blue collar, which may indicate that, while he's a stray, he's also current on his shots.

By some accounts, the dog has been on the Athens protest scene ever since 2008 (though some say the 2008 pooch is a similar-looking dog named Kanellos who established himself as a fixture at demonstrations and died that year).

The current mutt has won a long string of blog tributes and a number of online nicknames, including "Rebel Dog," "Riot Dog" and "Protest Dog." He even has a Facebook page devoted to him (as "Riot-Dog"). Here's a sample of his protest outings (with apologies to Kanellos partisans if he's inadvertently included here).

I don't know if this article is written by some one who has not done much research but in Greece unless a stray is dying anyway they will not euth the strays and instead vaccinae, flea treat, desex and leave food and water out for them. They put special collars on them and they tend to belong to the community, ts really sweet. :o

Most the riot in Athens are happening in Syntagma Square which is right near the botanical gardens where all these dogs live, so I would say its logical that dogs would be around in the protests.

Riot dog. "A strong interest in civic disorder" :hug:

Much funnies.

I don't know if this article is written by some one who has not done much research but in Greece unless a stray is dying anyway they will not euth the strays and instead vaccinae, flea treat, desex and leave food and water out for them. They put special collars on them and they tend to belong to the community, ts really sweet. :hug:

Most the riot in Athens are happening in Syntagma Square which is right near the botanical gardens where all these dogs live, so I would say its logical that dogs would be around in the protests.

No kidding I did not know they did that good on them. Thats great I love it.

Thanks for the pics :hug:

He's got a sore toe :hug:

He was a town fav and even had his name engraved on his leather collar :hug: The sore toe happened toward the end of my stay but I am sure once one of the staff at the cafe he hung out at noticed it would have been fixed because he is a big tourist draw! :hug:

Totally Off Topic . . . . I wouldn't have described Rhodes as isolated. :banghead::eek: I spent a month there a long time ago with my travelling companion in hospital for two of those with a cracked head. She came off a motorised pedal bike :o:)

Not culturally but dogs can't just wander over/swim onto the island, every single dog has been a stowaway or introduced, thats why the range of type in the strays there amazed me! I almost brought that stray little pup home he had a couple of ticks on him and was sooooo skinny! :thanks:

I don't know if this article is written by some one who has not done much research but in Greece unless a stray is dying anyway they will not euth the strays and instead vaccinae, flea treat, desex and leave food and water out for them. They put special collars on them and they tend to belong to the community, ts really sweet. :thumbsup:

I think that's amazing and so very beautiful! Your pics look a little like a book I have called "Dogs Of The Greek Islands" They all look so happy and well cared for :rofl:

I wished a lot more countries adopted the same In regards to their strays

Valley - your pics remind me of all the photos I took of Dogs in Thailand! I even had some eejit walk past and mutter to their friend, "Its only a dog, why would you take pictures of dogs?"...............They felt my evil stare in the backs of their heads :D

Rat

Valley - your pics remind me of all the photos I took of Dogs in Thailand! I even had some eejit walk past and mutter to their friend, "Its only a dog, why would you take pictures of dogs?"...............They felt my evil stare in the backs of their heads :p

Rat

We even had names for all the dogs in Rhodes! That black staffy looking bitch was my fav, she used to follow me around and we would have lunch togther most days. :D

I don't know if this article is written by some one who has not done much research but in Greece unless a stray is dying anyway they will not euth the strays and instead vaccinae, flea treat, desex and leave food and water out for them. They put special collars on them and they tend to belong to the community, ts really sweet. :)

Wow!! That's really lovely :mad

I was talking to OH about the strays and he said if a cafe or someone takes a liking to the stray they will care for it, but mostly the dogs belong to the gypsies and no one really cares for them.

Now if a cat comes to your door you have to take it in and care for it, but not dogs

Would be interested where you got your information from valleyCBR

OH and I lived there for years, and it was not like this back in 1988*1991

I was talking to OH about the strays and he said if a cafe or someone takes a liking to the stray they will care for it, but mostly the dogs belong to the gypsies and no one really cares for them.

Now if a cat comes to your door you have to take it in and care for it, but not dogs

Would be interested where you got your information from valleyCBR

OH and I lived there for years, and it was not like this back in 1988*1991

The info about looking after strays came from chatting to a few locals in Athens one day, confirmed by talking to staff at the botanical gardens. (conversations were in Greek, do they weren't telling me lies because they thought I was a tourist)

I emailed family in Rhodes and it's not the same thing there, it is an Athens only thing I guess.