Companion Dog Breeds For Mum

Hiya DOLers,

I'm after your dog breed ideas for my Mum :) .

A bit of info ... Mum has just gone through a separation and the pooch they had has gone to live with the ex. She loves the pooch to bits but he's a high energy, very big boofa (x-breed) and the ex's circumstances mean he's better able to give the big guy what he needs, so she has reluctantly agreed to hand him over though it's causing her much heartache :mad .

Mum is downsizing to a unit, which has a yard, and is still wanting a doggy companion. Although the yard will be small Mum walks every day, there is a park at the end of her street (all of 100 metres away) and she only works two days a week. She's also close to dog beaches, many other parks, and us with our 8 month old SBT. Some considerations are the small yard and being very close to neighbours - I'm thinking this means steering away from high energy and vocal breeds. Also Mum's 60 and doesn't have the strengh she used to for handling big dogs but she is very fit and active. Short hair has been her only stipulation.

She has always loved our SBT's, and their personality suits her well, but I think they would be too strong for her. I've been steering her towards a french bulldog - but probably because I think theyre great and I want one :mad. And I've been wondering if a Whippet or Italian Greyhound might fit the bill. I'd love to hear all your ideas so I can give her some more options than this :)! Also I've been wondering how happy breeders, or rescues, would be giving Mum a pup given her circumstances (small yard, single older lady), your thoughts on this would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

Also I've been wondering how happy breeders, or rescues, would be giving Mum a pup given her circumstances (small ayrd, older lady), your thoughts on this would also be welcome.

I love these types of threads where "older" ladies are mentioned :):mad:mad . I am 64+ and have 6 dogs, admittedly small, and one cat. The dogs are walked nearly every day and sometimes twice a day.

I'd clock anyone who said I was too old to have a dog :) . That said, I know I don't have the energy for a dog who needs a lot of play and exercise. In actual fact, I could do it, but I am also lazy. :D ;)

Refer your poor old mum ( joke ) to the PetRescue website so she can look at the hundreds of dogs who are available via the rescue community.

Good luck.

Sympathies for your mum on her separation from ex and the big boofa.

I have an older black lab from the RSPCA Wondai seizures who loves living inside and just needs a gentle walk every now and then. She would be perfect for someone who does not want to do the Boston Marathon every day. I'm not sure on the logistics of rehoming to Vic but I think they are being fairly flexible with these dogs because there are so many to find homes for.

Aimie is staying on foster with me until she finds her new home as she would not cope in a shelter. She is just looking for some loving, cuddles, food (she is a Lab lol) and a warm house.

DSC05298.jpg

Thanks Mother Moocher, yeah I think she's clock anyone who said she was too old too :mad . Are dog breeders and rescue shelters age-ist? Not something I have to deal with but would like Mum to be prepared if she is likely to encounter this. A rescue pooch is definitly on the cards, she's not super-keen to deal with puppyhood again but hasn't decided one way or the other.

Hiya Caesars mum, thanks for your ideas - hadn't thought of a dachshund and a pug would be on the list for sure. Good one :)

Remember with Italians and Whippets (and greys as I think they may suit too) - they can't be let off leash in an unsecured area.

My italian is much more high energy than my greys. The greys love a walk a couple of times a week, the iggy prefers everyday. But provided they are not let offlead I would think an iggy could suit your mum. They bond very closely to their owners and are real snuggle bugs - mine has to sleep under the doona (oh - and did I mention demanding....).

A greyhound could be just the ticket. They do not need a lot of exercise, are very clean dogs that need absolutely mininal grooming (ok, so I don't brush mine and they only get bathed 1-2 times a year), they don't have any doggy odour, are usually very easy to walk on lead...

There are very active, wonderful greyhound rescues in Vic, and they take great care to match the dog with the person's lifestyle. Contact anniek and Gapvic here on DOL for starters :)

ETA I have a whippet too, she is also a really lovely companion dog, quite a bit more energetic then the greyhounds, however she is only 1 and my greyhounds are 4 and 8 years old.

Edited by Daisy

I'd suggest a cavalier king charles spaniel as well although they do like the company of another one.

My mum and dad have two and they are 77 years of age, perfect dogs for them in that they are quiet when they are but dad loves walking and even 12 year old Kyra goes excitedly for a long march down hill and up dale each day and Katie loves chasing the ball when dad is gardening.

they do shed a bit of hair though.

eta that on days walks are missed the dogs don't worry about it.

Edited by onsntillnflash

Hi Ams & persephone, thanks for reminding me that there really are some lovely secondhand pets out there. Mum will move into her new place in another months time, so still a little while away from being ready to provide her new companion with a home. Do you think that Mum would encounter any problems adopting from a shelter or rescue given her being 60, single, with a small yard and working two days a week? I want to make this process as fun and easy for her as possible so want to scope as much out for her as I can - she's got enough stress in her life with everything else going on right now. Where would be the best place to get help in finding mum her perfect match? Mum will be living in Mornington, Vic FYI.

CBL & Daisy, thanks for the extra info on the sight hound breeds. Mum really enjoys watching her big guy run around off lead and I reckon she would want to do the same with her new companion. I think she'd find it frustraing not being able to let her darling off to run around. Maybe these breeds aren't the right ones for her.

Oakway, onsntillnflash & mita, Cavalier and Tibetan Spaniels could work. Not sure if she'd be keen on the hair factor, but will put them on the list for her to consider too :(

Polgara's shadow I'm not sure how the adoption process works in Vic. Each shelter and rescue group has different criteria for adoptions, so I guess the important thing will be for your mum not to get disheartened if she doesn't get the first dog she looks at.

Hi Ams & persephone, thanks for reminding me that there really are some lovely secondhand pets out there. Mum will move into her new place in another months time, so still a little while away from being ready to provide her new companion with a home. Do you think that Mum would encounter any problems adopting from a shelter or rescue given her being 60, single, with a small yard and working two days a week? I want to make this process as fun and easy for her as possible so want to scope as much out for her as I can - she's got enough stress in her life with everything else going on right now. Where would be the best place to get help in finding mum her perfect match? Mum will be living in Mornington, Vic FYI.

[

As a foster carer I certainly wouldn't have any problem with your mums age or circumstances. It sounds like a lovely home. Anyway, isn't 60 the new 40!!!

I think it is also more about the dog than the breed. Reputable rescue organisations will help your mum choose the right dog for her lifestyle. I have my own Lab and Rotty who spend more time on the couch than they do anywhere else, but I have had others who would be way too active and strong. Just make sure you ask the carer lots of questions and hopefully they will have a trial period.

If she is used to having big boofers but wants something low impact I would go with a greyhound too.

What about this little one? Although she will need some grooming:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=195847

http://www.rspcavic.org/pet_adoption/warrn...ol_adoption.htm

This little girl was found by a friend of a colleague of mine, so although she's not more deserving than the other dogs there I thought I'd give her a shout out. She's only young and not very big, someone might be able to squeeze her in.

This is text of the note I received.

This little dog is looking for a home as she is due to be destroyed next week 17/5/10. She is a terrier cross, approx 1 year old and female. She is friendly, house-trained, not boisterous and quite obedient. If you or someone you know, is looking for a doggy friend, please call RSPCA on 03 5561 2591. She is in Warnambool but someone can assist in getting the dog if this is a problem.

I came across this little girl when camping at Warnambool at Easter. Her owners were found but for reasons unknown, have chosen not to pay the pound fees and take her back. The lady at the caravan park who took her home overnight, found her to be quite content, obedient and she got along well with her other dogs.

Please send this to anyone you think might be interested in taking her. Her time is short. I need to let the pound know by Friday otherwise she will be euthanased. This is not a prank email. I have seen the dog myself and it is a genuine situation.

What does she love about your Stafford? If it's the personality and she's used to a big boofer dog then it's likely a milder breed wouldn't really suit her.

How about an older rescue/rehome Stafford which already has basic manners?

A high energy Stafford pup may well be too strong for her (maybe not though, don't assume :() but the character and look combined with a few manners and some of the energy worn off might make an older dog just the thing.

Failing that, you can hardly go wrong with a Greyhound

Thanks Mother Moocher, yeah I think she's clock anyone who said she was too old too :rofl: . Are dog breeders and rescue shelters age-ist? Not something I have to deal with but would like Mum to be prepared if she is likely to encounter this. A rescue pooch is definitly on the cards, she's not super-keen to deal with puppyhood again but hasn't decided one way or the other.

Hiya Caesars mum, thanks for your ideas - hadn't thought of a dachshund and a pug would be on the list for sure. Good one :rolleyes:

I don't think age of the owner matters so long as the dog suits the circumstances. I once sold a Border Collie puppy to couple in their 80s. They were on acres and had experience with the breed. The wife was full time carer to her disabled husband and desperately wanted the white faced BC puppy I had, because it reminded her of a dog she had lost. Her grandson called me and offered to buy the puppy for her. He also assured me that he would take the dog and care for her the minute his grandparents couldn't cope or they passed away. The grandson arrived to buy the puppy with his kids who obviously would have loved the puppy for themselves but were happy it was going to their great gran and they could see her there.

I dropped in and checked on the puppy a few months later and all was going fine. She was a happy healthy well trained puppy with owners that obviously adored her, so my decision to sell her to that home was well justified.

Good luck finding the perfect companion for your Mum. A Pug or Whippet would suit the situation but the temperament of the individual is more important than the breed.