Is An American Staffordshire Terrier A Pitbull?

jackie_a1

Is an American Staffordshire Terrier a Pitbull?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Is an American Staffordshire Terrier a Pitbull?

• Yes
    • No

Haha thanks Sandra :( (Most of the dog breed abbreviations I get but sometimes I get stumped)

I know many people who say they are the same breed of dog and many who say that they aren't. I'm a bit on the fence with this one also.

(edit to say: Thanks Gecko I'm a little slow :rofl:)

Edited by jackie_a1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted yes because I do think that that they are the same breed but of two different 'types' i.e. the show type and the other/working type.

I feel it is very similar to the differences between the show or 'bench' kelpie and the working kelpie types. The same distinctions between the show type and the working type is frequently mentioned around the ringsides about many different breeds.

I don't think so BadBoyz. Regardless if you think am staffs are or are not the same breed pitbulls came first. The am staff was a show version of such. So how could a pitbull be an amstaff? When am staffs derived from pitbulls?

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/amerpit.html

The AKC eschewed breeds called "pit bulls" until 1936, when it recognized the American Pit Bull Terrier under the alias Staffordshire Terrier, named after the miners of Staffordshire, England, who had a hand in developing the breed for the fighting pit. The name was changed in 1972 to the American Staffordshire Terrier to distinguish the breed from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier of England, the ancestor of the American dogs, which was recognized by AKC in 1974.

An American Staffordshire Terrier is an American Pitbull Terrier. Anyone that says otherwise is wrong, it's not debatable.

They did not come from a "similar" gene pool, they came from the same gene pool. AST's were bred from pedigree APBT's and nothing else.

Also the AST has not been bred exclusively along AST lines for 75 years, its been bred that way for about 40 at best. The AKC re-opened its stud books to UKC APBT's as recently as 1973.

Are they the same breed ? The answer to that is "sometimes". That is, an American Staffordshire Terrier is an American Pitbull Terrier, but an American Pitbull Terrier is not necessarily an American Staffordshire Terrier.

Murky area.

I KNOW of people who have APBT which were imported from the USA and are dual-registered as AST with the AKC and whichever "organisation" it is that registers APBT.

If it's AKC registered it an AST, but you can then register the AST with some of those dodgy registries as an APBT.

You can't take you ADBA , GDBA or any of the other shoddy registry Pit Bulls and register those with the AKC

Actually as of the 30th of April this year the UKC is no longer accepting dual registrations, so no dual registering at all anymore :mad

Edited by zayda_asher

No.

The Amstaff & SBT have been registered breeds for the same length of time - since 1935/6

(more abbreviations for jackie a1 :hug:).

Some (a lot?) of the early SBT registrations were from people who also bred Bull Terriers and interbred the two varieties to get coloured BT's - do we have to say that the BT & SBT are the same breed because they come from a similar gene pool 75 years ago?

75 years is a LONG time in the dog world, more generations than most royal families can trace their ancestry.

ETA: not saying royal families are a separate breed :hug:

Confused :mad

Isnt the question about the Amstaff and Pitbull? where does Amstaff and SBT come into it? I mean I know they are seperate breeds, but the question specifically refers to the first two breeds mentioned...

Im on the fence about it, I dont know a terrible deal about any one of the breeds so I didnt vote

Murky area.

I KNOW of people who have APBT which were imported from the USA and are dual-registered as AST with the AKC and whichever "organisation" it is that registers APBT.

If it's AKC registered it an AST, but you can then register the AST with some of those dodgy registries as an APBT.

You can't take you ADBA , GDBA or any of the other shoddy registry Pit Bulls and register those with the AKC

One of those dodgy registries who accepted dual registered dogs was the UKC. I'm sure they'd love to hear that people think of them as shoddy. In any case dual registered dogs are now no longer allowed

UKC Single Registration Process for American Pit Bull Terriers to close April 30, 2010

Posted on 04/15/2010

Permanent Link

For more information, contact [email protected]

April 15, 2010, Kalamazoo, Michigan. The United Kennel Club announced today that effective April 30, 2010, the Single Registration process will be closed to American Pit Bull Terriers. Accordingly, the only APBTs that will be eligible for UKC Registration after April 30, 2010 are those who come from a UKC Registered Litter. All applications for APBT Single Registrations that are postmarked or hand delivered after April 30, 2010 will be denied. Also, effective April 19, 2010, TLs (Temporary Listings) will no longer be issued to APBTs.

Decisions to open or close Single Registrations for each breed are made after careful consideration and input from the breed associations. It is important to note that this requirement is in no way unique to APBTs; in fact, the majority of UKC's most popular breeds have been closed to the Single Registration process for decades.

In all cases, these decisions are made with the breed's gene pool in mind. For example, UKC may decide to keep a breed with a small number of registrations eligible for Single Registration to broaden the scope, health and vigor of a breed's gene pool. However, when a breed's gene pool is vibrant and plentiful enough for responsible breeders to have a large enough base of quality dogs to use in their breeding programs, it becomes a candidate to be limited to littered registered pups.

The American Pit Bull Terrier has a historical and well-established gene pool. It was one of the fifteen breeds originally registered by the United Kennel Club when it was established in 1898. UKC founder Chauncey Bennett's own APBT, Bennett's Ring, represented one of the first dogs to be registered with UKC over a century ago. At this time, we owe it to this magnificent UKC breed to close the APBT Single Registration process, not for the benefit of UKC, but for the benefit of the breed.

Established in 1898, the United Kennel Club is the largest all-breed performance-dog registry in the world, registering dogs from all 50 states and 25 foreign countries. More than 60 percent of its 14,000 annually licensed events are tests of hunting ability, training, and instinct. UNITED KENNEL CLUB prides itself on its family-oriented, friendly, educational events. To find out more about registration and events, call or visit our website. Phone: (269) 343-9020; Fax: (269) 343-7037;www.ukcdogs.com.Established in 1898, the United Kennel Club is the largest all-breed performance-dog registry in the world, registering dogs from all 50 states and 25 foreign countries. More than 60 percent of its 14,000 annually licensed events are tests of hunting ability, training, and instinct. UNITED KENNEL CLUB prides itself on its family-oriented, friendly, educational events. To find out more about registration and events, call or visit our website. Phone: (269) 343-9020; Fax: (269) 343-7037;www.ukcdogs.com.

ETA: Snap Zayda :mad

Edited by RottnBullies

One of those dodgy registries who accepted dual registered dogs was the UKC. I'm sure they'd love to hear that people think of them as shoddy.

Not guilty! :mad

I couldn't remember the name of the registering body and whether it was a Club or Association, hence my usage of the word "organisation". :hug:

One of those dodgy registries who accepted dual registered dogs was the UKC. I'm sure they'd love to hear that people think of them as shoddy. In any case dual registered dogs are now no longer allowed

Given how widely the UKC is panned, I don't know how they couldn't be aware of the fact that kennel club people around the world think they're dodgy. :mad

No, AmStaffs* are not Pitbulls.

* That being kennel club (ANKC, AKC, UK KC ...) registered American Staffordshire Terriers

Edited by molasseslass

I have seen this question lightly touched but never elaborated so...

Is an American Staffordshire Terrier a Pitbull?

It depends on how you define 'breed'

and probably the only people who's opinion on this really matter ie: those qualified to 'know'

are those who know the bloodlines and the dogs history very well.

Edited by lilli

I vote no.

Although i have a friend who has a APBT and registered him as Amstaff.

Alot of people do this. Means nothing tho, you can register you dog as any breed you think it is.