Where Does Your Dog/s Ride In The Car ?

For those with station wagons or similar, does your dog ride right in the back ?

If so, how do you secure him/her ? We are getting a new car, probably a wagon (not a big 4WD but maybe a small SUV) and our current harness clicks into the seatbelt so he sits on the backseat.

But we are spending quite a bit of money on this new car so would like to keep it as 'new' as possible.

Edited by mrs tornsocks

Harnessed and buckled with the seat belt on the back seat. I have a wagon, but my dogs ride in the boot only when we have extra people in the car. I also have a car seat protector to ensure the car seats don't turn furry :)

I have the back seats down so the whole of the back of the car is a doggy area.

I have tried using the back seat only and the cargo only and keeping the dog hair to a specific area but when you turn on the aircon and have dog hair blowing out of the vents, well, I give up! :)

I have a new SUV with a proper cargo barrier, fitted before I bought the car. The dogs travel behind that. Some hair gets through the car still but it's much cleaner than my old car.

I can't say the dogs are that thrilled with the new arrangement - they prefer to be closer to me while driving (my two boys are very sooky) but they are getting used to it. I can't have them jumping over the seat when I have two newborns in capsules there so I've had to do this for safety. I try to take lots of short trips to the dog park so they get the positive association of going in the car again.

I have the back seats down so the whole of the back of the car is a doggy area.

I have tried using the back seat only and the cargo only and keeping the dog hair to a specific area but when you turn on the aircon and have dog hair blowing out of the vents, well, I give up! :)

I only have to open my windows and it becomes a hair storm in my car :o

Mine have the same setup as GR, back seats down most of the time. I also have leads tied through the child carrier restraint thingies in the back that clip onto harnesses (I really should start using those harnessess again). These work if the seats are down or up.

Cargo barriers in a station wagon. Of course they don't stop blown hair, but it saves dirty paws and natural coat-oil etc. grinding into the upholstery. The rear barriers are great too, so you can have the back open for full ventilation when you park but dogs are secure.

Thanks everyone ! I guess my next question is if people have their dogs 'loose' behind cargo barriers -- does that mean no harness ? And does that in turn mean the harness really is to stop doggie jumping around in car, rather than stop doggie actually been injured in an accident ? I suppose by being in the very back, they're protected anyway.

edited coz it didn't make sense

Edited by mrs tornsocks

Thanks everyone ! I guess this answers my next question iis if people have their dogs 'loose' behind cargo barriers -- does that mean no harness ? And does that in turn mean the harness really is to stop doggie jumping around in car, rather than stop doggie actually been injured in an accident ? I suppose by being in the very back, they're protected anyway.

Harness for me is for both. I don't like anything being clipped to a collar, it could choke the dog if there is an accident. But I use it at training to stop Millie jumping out of my car while it's Ruby's turn (Millie is very impatient, it's always her turn! :))