Purebred Yorkiepoo

I took the dogs to a local park today and they met a lovely little dog there.

He was very gorgeous and I started talking to the owner.

I asked her what breed she was and she said a Yorkiepoo..

I sort of looked at her for a minute and then said "oh so he is a Yorkshire Terrier cross Poodle?"

She goes "yes.. but he is a purebred.. not a cross breed"

I then say goodbye, gathered the dogs and moved along.. :rolleyes:

All I can do is laugh. These poor people think they are getting purebred dogs.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the "he/she's a purebred moodle/schnoodle/labradoodle" conversation many many times over the last 5 years. I'm so sick of it. My favourite was with a woman who thought that purebred dogs are what happened when you bred a poodle x maltese with another poodle x maltese because obviously that doesn't create more poodle x malteses, it breeds purebred "moodles". :rolleyes:

It's sad that there are so many people out there who don't know - that woman got a bit of a lesson from me! ;)

hahaha i know!! i work at a kennel and i see it all the time and at tafe many owners come in an argue black and blue their dog is not a cocker X poodle its a cockerpoo or a spoodle... different breeds apparently /:rolleyes:

I have a good client who i love to groom her dogs though and she has a schnauzer cross poodle and she first booked it in as a schnauzer for a breed clip... whne i saw him i subtly dropped the what is he crossed with and she came back with god knows i know its schnauzer and something what u think and i thought... THANK GOD! Someone who knows better!! hahaha i loved it and i love her dogs hehe they get special treatment for being too cute!

I have come to accept that some wont even listen so i get tthe job done and out they go lol one comes in and he is a spoodle but looks a bit more like a labradoodle... hard to tell but they get him done in a cocker clip.,.. bahahahahahaha looks so dodgy!! Looks like we missed a bit but she comes in all smiles oh thank u he is perfect!! ;):):thumbsup::)

Whatever makes her smile... im happy with that lol i wont argue

Maybe when you encounter people like that you could encourage them to join up here.

My dog is a pet shop puppy - bought on Christmas Eve, no less! I found Dogzonline three years ago when searching the internet for information on cruciate ligament injuries. Until then, I had never really given a second thought to where pet shop puppies came from, or the issue of designer dogs (mine definitely is not - just a scruffy mutt) or anything like that, and I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person. :rolleyes:

I've learned so much from this forum - I'm sure there are lots of people out there who could too if they just knew it was here.

Once upon a time, if you had an accidental cross bred litter, the off spring were offered up for either free or very low cost. It astounds me that people will pay thousands of dollars for a so-called designer mutt - when I was growing up they were called (affectionately in my place!) mongrels and no-one would have dreamed asking such ridiculous sums of money.

That is kind of hilarious. Some people just don't get it LOL.

I have a beagle x cocker spaniel but you don't see me going around calling her a "purebred bocker". :rolleyes:

I saw my cousin's dog for the first time the other day and I asked what breed he was and she replied with "He's a Rustydoodle!!". A WHAAAAAT LOL. I didn't bother going on about it but I kind of just laughed inside.

Maybe when you encounter people like that you could encourage them to join up here.

My dog is a pet shop puppy - bought on Christmas Eve, no less! I found Dogzonline three years ago when searching the internet for information on cruciate ligament injuries. Until then, I had never really given a second thought to where pet shop puppies came from, or the issue of designer dogs (mine definitely is not - just a scruffy mutt) or anything like that, and I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person. :rolleyes:

I've learned so much from this forum - I'm sure there are lots of people out there who could too if they just knew it was here.

I live in a small town only know one person with papered dogs offhand (proberly because they run a stud) owned dogs all my life all from classified ads or friends litters found this site by google to my next dog will be the papered way

Edited by Luvmy4

My least favourite thing is

"Where did you get him?"

"Oh from -Insert known puppy farm name here-"

:rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

I had a "friend" scream at me for calling her dog a cross. Her "labradoodle" was apparently a purebred dog with papers.

Apparently, its only a "pure bred" if its a first generation cross. She went on a rant about biology and how dogs are only a breed for the first generation cross and by that standard, my purebred labradors weren't a breed at all. :confused:

I haven't spoken to her since.

Unfortunately she is still dating my friend.

I sort of looked at her for a minute and then said "oh so he is a Yorkshire Terrier cross Poodle?"

She goes "yes.. but he is a purebred.. not a cross breed"

:rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup::confused:

Edited by Fleuri

I met a woman in the park while walking with a mate and her purebred pug today. She had a pug x chihuahua mix, and she went "so what cross is he?" like as if she didn't expect him to be purebred. She said "oh no, he's a purebred" and she went "yeah, but what mix?"

I honestly didn't know what to say anymore to that so we quickly scurried away!

I have a beagle x cocker spaniel but you don't see me going around calling her a "purebred bocker". :D

I saw my cousin's dog for the first time the other day and I asked what breed he was and she replied with "He's a Rustydoodle!!". A WHAAAAAT LOL. I didn't bother going on about it but I kind of just laughed inside.

I'd have to look underneath to see if he has :)

I have a beagle x cocker spaniel but you don't see me going around calling her a "purebred bocker". :D

I'd have to look underneath to see if he has :)

Gee do you think that would get in the way of him mating? Or would WD40 fix the situation?

While I'm all for educating people I often feel bad to get in the face of someone who has already bought the dog. It's all well and good to lecture on cross breeds and puppy farms and the like to someone considering one of these dogs, but a bit late to tell them that when they already have it.

I've no issue with educating them gently - pointing out that their dog is infact a cross as it must have ANKC papers to be registered as a purebred, or saying you should watch this or that because it can be a problem in (insert dog breeds here) and if the parents weren't health tested you need to be aware.

But I'm sure that they would feel pretty devasted to hear that their pups parents are suffering in a puppy mill or that their puppy will likely be blind by the age of 3 because of health problems. It's too late for that...

I remember meeting a man with a tiny black pup last year at our local skate park. I asked him what breed and he proudly said "She's a 12 week old purebred Lab". There was no way this pup was a purebred Lab (unless she was a very bad example of one) but there was no way I was going to tell him this. He was so in love with his little pup that it really didn't matter. If she was not a Lab well he would find that out soon enough. Why ruin someone elses happiness?

However if I knew of someone who was considering buying the latest designer mutt I would go hell for leather as to why they most certainly should not!

I've no issue telling people where pet shop puppies come from or why I would never buy a BYB dog/puppy from the paper/internet etc. But I do have a problem with telling someone that their little bundle of joy (who was bought without knowing any better) is inferior.