June Challenge - Anything Goes!

Ashanali

June is an open month.

It's up to you to decide what you want to add, what you want to try or perhaps go back and revisit topics from past months.

The only stipulation is that you tell us what you were hoping to achieve when shooting the image, then tell us if you feel your result was successful.

This is a very useful exercise as if you can set out to do something and honestly critique your own work, it's a VERY important tool when trying to disect your own photography and skill.

GOOD LUCK! :rofl:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, I've got one for this. I finally switched my camera to manual yesterday after shooting in Auto and then AV or TV for the 2 and a bit years I've had a camera.

I wanted to capture a dark, damp earthy look of the fungus. I wasn't able to get down and look through the view finder though with my stiff old back and sore knees so I had to hold the camera down near my ankles and just hope I got something. I tweaked it a tiny bit in DPP but not much. I'll post the original as well so you can see it's not drastically altered.

the tweaked version

4657356681_2562f3af9e_b.jpg

straight out of camera, untweaked

4657330149_02f954aa45_b.jpg

Took this one at werribee zoo. Was hoping to make the photo look as if it were a big crocodile but I still think it looks like a small crocodile :rofl:

4657776287_db67436aef.jpg

Wow, so clear and sharp, just like it's teeth I bet. :rofl: I love the reflection and the shallow depth of field.

Wow, so clear and sharp, just like it's teeth I bet. :rofl: I love the reflection and the shallow depth of field.

Thanks! was very hard photo to get through the dirty glass and reflections.

Edited by jrm88

Nice one Kirislin. Very dark and damp and fungus-y!

jrm88 I like that croc shot. Looks very sinister.

Will upload a couple of mine to photobucket and post them in a minute..

Aim: I took Spence shopping yesterday for a jumper cos it's getting cold and our house doesn't have heating. So today I wanted to get some photos of him in his awesome stripy hoody. Thought the skateboard would be a good prop. I kinda wanted a down and dirty, "Spencer in da hood", "what up bitches" feel :thumbsup:

Result: I discovered that Spence is too much of a cream puff to pull off the whole bad boy skater thing. And a more urban environment would have made a better background, but I was way too embarrassed to venture off our property. Tis a nice enough photo though and it shows off the jumper so I'm happy with it.

SkaterBoy.jpg

Aim: I had this image in my head of Spence and I in our matching stripy hoodies sitting together with our heads down and hoods pulled down low.

Result: Found out that Spencer's hood looks stoopid when he's sitting and only looks decent when he's standing. And my hoody is a bit small and doesn't pull down low enough. So I got Spence to stand instead of sit, and with some dumb luck got this shot. I love it though and it's way better than my first idea!

Stripes.jpg

I haven't taken many (read any!) photos lately but got this one the other dayl. OH is currently taking my 40D to work until he decides which camera to buy to replace his stuff that was stolen recently. So I only have weekends and night time if I want to take photos.

I saw this photo opportunity as Dash looked into the bathroom window (he always stands on his back legs to say hello when I'm in there brushing my teeth etc). I could see how the internal lights were illuminating his face and thought it might turn out well. I think it's turned out a bit overdone though - a bit orange maybe. It probably could be recitified further with good editing software.

4649802438_7040dce41c_b.jpg

I'm not very good at photography YET!!!! This is the first photo i took with my slr, had no idea what i was doing, but love it all the same, i just love photos of flowers especially roses :thumbsup:

I love photos where the background is blured, I didn't have much expections when taking this pic as i had no idea what to do, but to my suprise it came out almost how i wanted it so in the end i'm very happy with it :rofl:

xmas08058-1.jpg

hope thats the right size

Edited by pavlova

Guest Kate_Summer

Love the other 2 that was added after my last comment - such a cute face your dog has!!

OMG Dash is adorable! I want to smooch him on his wrinkly forehead! I reckon that little head tilt is THE cutest thing that a dog or puppy could possibly do.

You have to make this funny noise to get them to do it... just ask Ashanali. :laugh: It's a photography skill that she's refined over the years. She even made that noise when she did my photos. I didn't put my head on the side all cute though but I did laugh.

Guest Pandii

Loving all the photos, especially the striped doggie

I wasnt hoping for much, just to take a decent photo of a black cat at night time that I can get printed to scrap book

RHUN-1.jpg

Well, I was hoping that my camera still worked.. it's been a while :)

I wanted a nice head shot of my other Whippet, but the zoomies and the ears conspired againt me :eek: and I was hoping that Poodie might at least try and contribute a shot to the thread where everyone goes "wow"... that's not to be either :(

There's still the rest of the month

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

OMG Dash is adorable! I want to smooch him on his wrinkly forehead! I reckon that little head tilt is THE cutest thing that a dog or puppy could possibly do.

You have to make this funny noise to get them to do it... just ask Ashanali. :) It's a photography skill that she's refined over the years. She even made that noise when she did my photos. I didn't put my head on the side all cute though but I did laugh.

lol the problem is, my dog is so used to me making weird noises at him when I've got the camera out he just ignores me or looks at me like I'm an idiot.

Gila :eek: I love them both.

:( Thanks huga