Placenta's / Afterbirth

Bisart Dobes

Having spoken to quite a few people lately and reading this forum it seems that alot of breeders take them away and don't let their bitch eat them. Some say its disgusting to let them eat it, some say they line them up and count them then throw them away - they don't let the bitch eat them because they want to count them all, some say it gives the bitch the runs and they don't want to be cleaning that up as well . . . Miriad of reasons why or why not.

I grew up in a 'dog' family - my parents and grandparents bred dogs and it was always the case that the bitch would eat as many of them as she wanted. I do let our girls eat them because it gives them those rich nutrients they need for the first few days - they generally eat 4 or 5 only and then the rest I throw out (I guess eating 10 to 12 would be too much food). Yes it can give them the runs a little bit but then the girls go out whenever they need to and I am cleaning out the box about 4 times a day anyway so have never had an issue with that side of it. I check each one off on my whelping running sheet as each pup is born so I keep track of them that way and I note how many she has eaten.

I am interested to see how many breeders let their bitches eat them or not and why or why not ?

Count them as they come out and let the bitches eat them. I've never had a bitch vomit or get an upset stomach from them ( as others claim ) and I think there is vital nutrition and sustenance to be gained from doing so.

Those first few days are very taxing on any bitch and some may not feel like eating. I've never had a problem with a lack of milk in the first days and think eating the placenta's has a lot to do with it.

ETA: I have a sheet that I tick off as every pup is born and there's a box for "placenta". All I need do is see it come out and what the bitch does with it after that, is up to her.

Edited by SBT123

Having spoken to quite a few people lately and reading this forum it seems that alot of breeders take them away and don't let their bitch eat them. Some say its disgusting to let them eat it, some say they line them up and count them then throw them away - they don't let the bitch eat them because they want to count them all, some say it gives the bitch the runs and they don't want to be cleaning that up as well . . . Miriad of reasons why or why not.

I grew up in a 'dog' family - my parents and grandparents bred dogs and it was always the case that the bitch would eat as many of them as she wanted. I do let our girls eat them because it gives them those rich nutrients they need for the first few days - they generally eat 4 or 5 only and then the rest I throw out (I guess eating 10 to 12 would be too much food). Yes it can give them the runs a little bit but then the girls go out whenever they need to and I am cleaning out the box about 4 times a day anyway so have never had an issue with that side of it. I check each one off on my whelping running sheet as each pup is born so I keep track of them that way and I note how many she has eaten.

I am interested to see how many breeders let their bitches eat them or not and why or why not ?

Eating the placenta is all a natural part of whelping. I always let my Chihuahua's eat them after I have had a quick look at it.

I let my bitches eat as many as they want. They don't always eat the mall, but often do.

You still need to be certain they are all accounted for though, so check them off on your whelp sheet as you go...

Yes they often to give the girls 'the runs' but then if you don't want to clean up after her, don't have a litter coz it's all a part of it.

No problems with mine eating them. They usually eat 2 & then after if they leave the afterbirth there for a few minutes I dispose of it, little dogs, full tummy, I assume. Never given them the runs. Its instinct.

Bisart, I totally agree with you, let dogs be dogs. :)

We allow our girls to eat as many as they want as they are an excellent source of nutrition and those that they don't eat we remove. All placentas are recorded along with the puppy info. We have always had our girls with loads of milk, quick recovery from labour and no other problems. I believe that mother nature knows best and if the bitch wants to eat them then so be it. :)

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

I've also got a box on my puppy sheet for placentas, once ticked the bitch can go for it and eat as many as she likes. For some reason they seem to leave the last one, probably preoccupied with their babies by then.

Mine always eat the afterbirths almost before they are even fully out.....pretty gross!!!

which makes it hard sometimes to count them but I usually give the job of checking and counting placentas to my helper.

Have never had a problem with the mum after eating them all and I believe we should let instincts take over in this instance.

I think I read somewhere that it helps to uterus to contract better to expel everything?

after making sure the placenta is presented i allow my bitches to eat them all ,does help with contractions for those yet to come & whatsa bit of yuky poo to clean up next day ,all part of the amazing experiance imo

I allow my bitches to eat them. However, last litter, they all came back up in the car on the way to the vet, along with the goats milk and egg yolk she'd been drinking,lol. I'd put bedding down to protect the back but of course she had rearranged it all. My car still stinks. I dont think she would have thrown up though if she hadnt gone in the car.

My girls suck them up in an instant as they come out and I'd never interfere with this natural part of the birthing process.

My bitch recently whelped her first litter (8 puppies) & she did this aswell. She had them gobbled up the second they came out. She ended up eating 6 , as I think she was pretty full by the time the last 2 came. She did have have some very yucky runs that looked like tar for about 24 hours afterwards,but after that she was ok.

She had a very easy whelping (whelped all 8 puppies in 3.5 hours ) with no complications & had heaps of milk straight away. :(

Nicole

Never had an issue with them eating them, nor retaining them as when whelping, they usually give a yank and everything is out there. The moms don't seem to get the runs either, but I have heard others claim that theirs do because they allowed them to eat. Not in my case to date with many litters.

The ONLY time I've yanked them away is if I have a birth defect in a pup that is not viable, and then the whole lot gets gathered up and disposed of quickly.

Our girls eat the afterbirths........never had to throw any away....most of the time I don't even get a chance to see them.....ours slurp them up as they come out as well......no runs either......

Well - good to see that so far we're 100% :( - I must have been talking to some weird people lately :D.

Just can't fathom why you wouldn't let them eat them if they wanted to. Yes angelsun, same here - the only time I have stopped a girl eating one was when it just didn't look right or smell right - that puppy was rejected by mom at 48 hrs and faded quickly.