Advise Needed

Cockerlover

Morning all ,Im after constructive opinions /advice ,

I have a litter of 5 puppies 3weeks old on monday next , 4 are doing extremly well but I have one ,that is not ,she was feeding from mum for the first 10 days or so ,but then failed to gain .

I have tried every thing I can ,except for tube feeding ,she is being supp fed 4 hrly ,But is still not gaining any wieght .

This is a postion Im sure a few of u have been in & the mixed feelings r now really getting to me .

I need advise please not critusicum.

Your support through this will be appreciated ,thanking you in anticipation

If it were mine i would be starting solid food if you haven't already. Not sure how Cockers take to solids but Labs certainly don't have any problems at that age.

What are you feeding? You may need to change the formula, I never tried it but a lot seem to have success with goats milk.

Can't think of anything else at the moment (still half asleep)

Good luck, hope things improve soon.

Is the pup otherwise healthy? Shiny coat, eyes opened and bright, moving around and not lethargic?
yes she is moving around ,eyes open <NOT lethargic,healthy coat ect <just not gaining wieght <

i should have mentioned these pups were born 6days early.

This is awful, I had my 1st experience of this last year, you really don't know what to do.

Something is wrong but finding out what is so hard. My puppy had 3 vet checks & nothing could be found. Didn't get to the blood tests etc as puppy just died on day 17.

Choice is to persist in keeping alive any way you can & hope for the best or pts. Hard decision.

I would start her on solids and if she wasn't steadily gaining weight within a week I would pts. Not easy but often the best thing to do. The reason I say try solids first is bcause I have had a puppy that was lactose intollerant and did very poorly until on solids. After that he was fine.

have you had the up vet checked??

What are you using to supplement,how are the pups toilet habits??

Is the mum inclined to pay no attention to it?

Without the issue you now does the pup act the same way as the others or is it different .head bobbling etc etc.

My last litter failed to gain weight for their first 10 days and after working with the vet and getting no where, I took them off their mum and tube fed them with Wambaroo. I am 99% sure mums milk was toxic. I started them on solids as soon as their eyes were open. They are now 2 1/2 and going great.

I would start on solids and tube feed as well, see how it goes.

Edited by Rysup

If all is otherwise looking good, I would keep going :) Especially as the pups were premmie......suggestions to start on solids and supplement with Wombaroo are good ones :) I would also supplement with a little glucose syrup - messy but good energy food and perhaps even Nutrigel.

If the puppy is bright and healthy just not gaining, I would think it's more about the prematurity as I found with premmie pups in my care that the weight chart basically had to be thrown out the window :cheer: Try some of the alternatives offered this week and don't check the scales until next week :)

Hopefully the baby will put some weight on for you. :thumbsup:

I have had this happen on a few occasions, where the pup just has not seemed to gain weight on the scales, but was otherwise healthy and normal. I stopped weighing them in frustration, and just made sure they were feeding and looked fine. Once they started on solids they never looked back. I found the smallest ones were the keenest to eat the solids, while the fatties usually resist more. One like this was a girl I kept and she grew perfectly normal and healthy. Your pups are definately old enough to start on some chicken mince and yoghurt. Good luck with her and I hope she thrives too.

I've had this a few times and have persisted with the supplementary feeding, particularly if she's happy to take the bottle. In each case, the puppy has indicated that it wants hard food when it's ready and that could be a little before, at the same time, of later than the rest of the litter. If she is starting to object to the bottle, try hard feed, and keep it soft and wet as she'll probably try to suck it up at first. If she's getting well over the time the rest of the litter are tucking into hard feed, then encourage her to do so. Once they start to take hard food, they generally start to flourish and because of all the additional handling they've had, they're usually beautifully natured as well. I've not had one of these fail to go on and fly through their vet check at 6 weeks.

Whilever any of my babies show will to survive, I always choose to support that will and it generally works out for the better in the end. Occasionally it doesn't, but at least they've had the chance.

Edited by Wags

I SINCERLY thank you all for yr replys & Pms,

I had done every thing possible including trying solids ,I got her to lap from my hand , I sat up with her all night on sunday & by early monday morning she had finally gained ,

I still went to my vet yesterday for yet another checkup & he was amayzed @ how*well* she looked ,dispite our struggle ,

we listened to her chest again ,& I choose to let her go & suffer no more ,

I had a pm exam done & the results were imature lungs with NO normal linings.

THIS WAS NOT a result of asperation ,but possibly because she was premmie.

THANKING YOU ALL .

Edited by Cockerlover