Learning To Use The Doggy Door

Kirislin

I bought a Pig in Mud doggy door and my whippets are having trouble understanding the concept. I am using lots of praise and treats to tempt them out and 4 of them can manage it with encouragement but Kibah just insists, she doesn't do dog doors. Even the others haven't quite got it that they can go in and out as they please, without me standing on the other side with bits of tasty cheese.

I know my dogs aren't dumb, but they dont seem to have the smarts for this, they just dont seem to get it. Does it usually take long for dogs to learn.

They will get there eventually. I started off with using treats and luring our dogs through then after doing that for a bit, switched to giving them no other way to go out.

Indy got it quickly. As soon as I put my hand on the handle of the sliding glass door he turns around and bolts for the dog door so he can beat me outside.

Kira on the other hand is a different kettle of fish. Not sure if she it stupid or just lazy. Every single time she will try and come out the sliding door with me and every single time I block her and tell her to use her door. Once I've shut the door on her she will then resort to using the dog door so it's not like she doesn't know how to use it she just tries to get away with not having to.

my dog doesnt do dog doors even if it is raining outside and its her only way in and she hates thew cold and wet.

however, i took off the plastic swinging part and put a cloth over ir and she uses it happily now.

i think the plastic bit is too 'heavy" for her.

however, i took off the plastic swinging part and put a cloth over ir and she uses it happily now.

i think the plastic bit is too 'heavy" for her.

Our doggie doors are made of perspex....but have clips at the top & bottom. So when we want the dogs & cat to be able to go out, the perspex flap can be clipped up. When not, the flap is clipped down.

They will get there eventually. I started off with using treats and luring our dogs through then after doing that for a bit, switched to giving them no other way to go out.

Indy got it quickly. As soon as I put my hand on the handle of the sliding glass door he turns around and bolts for the dog door so he can beat me outside.

Kira on the other hand is a different kettle of fish. Not sure if she it stupid or just lazy. Every single time she will try and come out the sliding door with me and every single time I block her and tell her to use her door. Once I've shut the door on her she will then resort to using the dog door so it's not like she doesn't know how to use it she just tries to get away with not having to.

How big is your doggy door?? :rolleyes:

Yep it is the hard plastic that is scaring them. I started out using a piece of cloth, then when they were comfortable with that, I used a piece of clear pvc. Then probably two days later when they were used to skooting in and out the door, I put the perspex back on and voila. :thumbsup:

The chi x used it fast even thou it is a bit of a drop on the veranda side. Hard to get it to fit 2 size dogs.

But the kelpie would not use the dog door in the wooden door with the plastic flap. The sreen dog door is really just a hole with a flyscreen. They have been in for 6 months thou the dogs are older and have never had a door before as we rented.

Since he does agility and cloth tunnels are OK I think it was more he seemed to think the door is shut - hence you wait . One night they both went out, the girl came back in but he was out all night. I think that was when I decided to sit down and train him on dog door entry each night for a week for his dinner.

Just in time for winter . :laugh:

Echo took to the doggy door pretty Quickly.

Bob refuses to use it at all. No matter how much you coax him or leave him outside he will not budge on using it.

The only way to make him go through is to put his head and front paws through yourself.

Maybe I should put up a sheet for him but I have not even put the door up recently as I have had problems with Echo barking and now it is starting to get muddy.

Just moved down from Melbourne to Adelaide a couple of days back and it only took us 5 minutes to teach Bailey how to use a dog door. :laugh: He nows goes in and out as he pleases. All we needed to do was lift the plastic bit up and encourage him to go through it to give him the idea.

Jane used the doggy door the first day we had her at 6 weeks without any training. She was fearless from day 1! She now zooms through the door at high speed so God help the unsuspecting person standing in front of it when she does her express entry!

Gus took about 2 or 3 days to fully master it when he came home to us at 14 weeks from a shelter. He uses it all the time now (at 17 weeks) and will even go through it when we open the door to let him in the 'human' way! We actually had to teach him using food and lifting the flap just a tiny bit. His love of food and his long nose did the rest!

My kelpie didn't want anything to do with the dog door, despite seeing the others race in and out when they pleased. For a whole year he wouldn't have a bar of it, so I gave up trying to teach him.

Then one day I'm sitting in the lounge room, and in he comes with no encouragement whatsoever. Must have just decided he'd have a go at it!

He spent almost that entire afternoon just going in, out, in, out constantly. Was pretty funny!

Now he uses it whenever he pleases.

I think my gentle whippets are put off by the magnetised flap that has to be pushed, otherwise it stays firmly sealed. I've taken it off for now and put a peice of material over the opening and they are all using it now, some more confidently than others. I think we'll get there eventually.

My SBT pup had no problems with the old metal doggy door...zoom...bash...zoom...

But had a few concerns with the upgrade to heavy pvc with magnets. a bit of a session showing him how to use it with treats then leaving him outside till he sorted it out (1/2 hour) and were doggy doorin again. Gotta say.. I heart dog doors!

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

My kelpie didn't want anything to do with the dog door, despite seeing the others race in and out when they pleased. For a whole year he wouldn't have a bar of it, so I gave up trying to teach him.

Then one day I'm sitting in the lounge room, and in he comes with no encouragement whatsoever. Must have just decided he'd have a go at it!

He spent almost that entire afternoon just going in, out, in, out constantly. Was pretty funny!

Now he uses it whenever he pleases.

That is pretty funny!

My girl took a few hours to get the hang of the dog door when it got put in. It is the perspex type with a magnet at the bottom. I think she was easier to teach, as she hates not being with me, so she quickly learnt that if she wanted to be with me, she had to come through the door. I've had other dogs come and stay from time to time. The older girl that came to stay took two days to learn to use the door. It was hilarious watching my girl trying to teach her to use it. I'd encourage her with treats, but she was still a bit scared. My girl would come through the dog door to where i was, look back at the other girl, then go out to her again, nudge her, then come back in, go back out, nudge, come back in... The puppies that have stayed have learnt very quickly. One of them didn't have to learn at all - she saw my girl go through the door and just followed her - at a run.

Yaay, I finally got my super large sized Pig in Mud doggie door.

Dusty the Lab and Ruby the Crossbreed foster got it straight away. We practiced about 4 times and then they were all over it.

Poor Sharon the 9yr old Rotty just doesn't get it. She has worked out how to get outside but doesn't understand that she can come back the other way. Ahhhh, Sharon.

Oh, and one of the cats can use it too but the other one hasn't worked it out either.

Great investment though. The house is a lot warmer now I don't have to leave the door open in minus 3 degrees.

We bought a pig in med medium for our 2 cavaliers. The pup has got it straight away and now loves going out and in, out and in. My older boy is resistant and doesn't like it. Since it was only installed yesterday, I shan't worry yet...just lure him with food :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it took a couple of weeks for all of mine to get the hang of the doggy door but now they have it's wonderful. For the last 25 years I've had to get up several, sometimes many times during the night to let dogs in and out for toilet breaks, even though I'd make sure they all went last thing before bed. It's been worst since I have 5 dogs. Sometimes I'd be up 6 or 7 times a night and even then still wake up to accidents in the hallway. Nursing mothers only have to put up with interrupted sleep for a year or so but I've done it for a quarter of a century. Now finally my dogs all use the doggy door and I can sleep! It's amazing!

Yaay Kirislin, aren't they just the best investment. All three dogs and two cats can use it now and I must have saved a lot in heating now I can shut the door at night.

Love it, so worth the money!