Maximum Alone Time

I do have to add tho that my partner and I are homebodies, so anytime outside work is spent with our dogs. we prefer to stay home with them saturday night than go out raging :)

And we have never left them overnight (would get someone to stay here if we had to go somewhere)

And (i know I am going to get flamed here) they are after all, dogs. they dont need babysitting 24/7.

That's how I feel. They aren't human babies, and if you start as you mean to go on, they cope really well with your absence. We don't turn leaving into a drama, and we're very matter of fact about coming home and the dogs just accept that we come and go and they stay.

And (i know I am going to get flamed here) they are after all, dogs. they dont need babysitting 24/7.

That's how I feel. They aren't human babies, and if you start as you mean to go on, they cope really well with your absence. We don't turn leaving into a drama, and we're very matter of fact about coming home and the dogs just accept that we come and go and they stay.

we're the same :) and there was no 'just' in my comment as I hate when people say that. they are special family members who are spoilt, cared for and loved. but at the end of the day they are an animal and if circumstances mean they need to be left, they will adjust as long as it is handled correctly with the minimum of fuss. we were warned that border collies were famous for destructive behaviour when left alone. the worst we had is one torn sheet and maybe 2 holes in over a year.

There is no right or wrong answer (and it's hardly been suggested that dogs do need that). :)

I was more asking how long people think it is safe to leave a dog (or multiple dogs) without human supervision (though emotional needs come into it as well as physical safety).

I know some people are happy with weeks where only a short check is done every 24 hours (those dog minders who just drop in and feed the dog once a day).

Edited by molasseslass

I would say 8-12 hours, depending on what time I finish up my daily business and get back from the gym. Although, there is usually someone home, so realistically, he'd only be alone for 6 hours or so tops.

Do dogs have a sense of time? Do they know you've been gone for ages? Or does it make no difference 2 hours or 8 hours?

I work 12 hour shifts and OH is away during the week so they spend a lot of time alone when I'm working.

I only work part time so it's only 2 or 3 days a week.

I leave the tv on ( it comforts me so surely the dogs feel the same way :):rofl:)

They have access to the whole house and outside with a doggie door.

I leave the aircon on during summer and heat the house up for them during winter (really hope OH doesn't read this thread!! He would NOT be happy!!)

7-8 hours is the longest he's ever been left alone and that's been on a few occasions. I felt terribly guilty each time though. Very unreasonably - he spends about 3 weekdays by himself for 6 hours and that never bothers me, but I get anxious when it's that extra hour or two. It's probably more down to me missing him :D

Do dogs have a sense of time? Do they know you've been gone for ages? Or does it make no difference 2 hours or 8 hours?

I TOTALLY wonder this also!!!!! Shyla can no longer go to work with hubby in a month cos of job changing, and I'll shift my roster around so I have 2 weekdays off a week which means she'll be home 2 'whole' days a week (9hrs each) and a 5hour 'half' day. I'm already worrying about it (stupid I know) I am so the one with anxiety. I was wondering if 5hours FEELS like 9hrs to a dog seeing as they can't read a clock? I know she sleeps all day but still ....

I don't know what I think a maximum time is to be honest. I guess I would say 12 hours perhaps maximum for an extended period of time.

As someone who had the luxury of time and people around when I was raising my pup, I'd say that I worry sometimes for the day when I do have a job that makes me have to be away from the dogs for 8 - 10 hours.

When I first got my pup I was working part-time and studying externally. I had other family members who were always triapsing in and out of the house. I now work full-time and study external, but I also have a job that allows me to pop home for my lunch. Family members are more busy these days, but 6 hours left alone is the normal max.

I feel I need to start preparing my dog for the slightly longer alone days. I think having two dogs is important for this reason, but I also have a dog with fear aggression so getting a second dog will be a challenge and certainly will not happen for a while. I am hopeful at some point it will happen and my training is hopefully leading me to this eventuation.

We live with my parents' dog right now, they are great mates. It really eases my mind when knowing they are together.

god, lets see who gets the shits with me :D

I am about to walk out the door at 7:30 this morning, and wont be home till 1am tomorrow morning, the joys of working 2 jobs.

My work hours have always been all over the place - i spent 3 days home this week, but work 2 shifts today to make up for it. I have no problems leaving them over night - and often have to with work - If i am going away for a few days Mum or Dad pop over to visit them each night and they cope fine

As for pups, as long as I need to - I dont take time off and if the pup is left inside, there is someone to come and let them out for a toilet break, but if the pup is outside, I get home when I can.

I havent ever been able to afford time off so the dogs work around me. I dont think i would take the time off even if i could.

My dogs and cats are very well adjusted, they never whine for food, they will only bark if they have to go out to the toilet, they know that things get messed up around here a lot and all cope well with it.

What is the maximum time you think it's ok to leave

- an 8 week old puppy

- an adult

alone (no one home at all)?

Adults no more than 24 hours, as they have to bed fed and exercised. I don't leave my adults any longer than about 8 or 9 hours during the day.

For an 8 week old, it would depend on the situation. I know and understand that people work and owners are frequently gone for 8-10 hours at a time. Whilst it's not ideal, I don't think any pup has died from being fed just before the owner leaves and as soon as they get home.

There's no hard and fast rules but as an owner you need to take into account things like feeding, the weather, age , potential for noise and destruction, pack dynamics, illness and injury.

Puppies as short a time as possible.

I will take a few weeks of when the new girl shows up but then its back to 6-8 hours a day.

The adults are the same but they can cope if I go out of a night (I will go home first and feed them, then it's back int he kennels) but I don't like to do it.

If I am going to a weekend show, those dogs who stayed behind have our neighbours come over and visit with them in the morning and evening.

Guest Tess32

Noah is alone from about 8.30 to 5.30pm, but if I (rarely) go out after work, I don't worry about it.

Adults no more than 24 hours, as they have to bed fed and exercised. I don't leave my adults any longer than about 8 or 9 hours during the day.

I'm about the same for adults, 8 or 9 hours and if longer than that I skip home to check on them. But occasionally longer work days are unavoidable, and they seem to cope. It depends so much on the dog - my old dog would be quite happy alone for very long periods, she mostly just wants comfort and sleep and isn't going to get into any mischief.

The younger two have each other for entertainment, but I'd still not leave them alone anywhere near as long, they need a lot more company and stimulation. And because they are so active they could potentially injure themselves or do something else a bit silly and need rescuing - unlikely, but a reason not to leave them too long without someone checking.

Edited by Diva

My first dog was not left alone very often as a puppy and he found it harder adjusting when I eventually had a full time job and so did my ex. My second dog was left alone for a full work day 8-10 hours the day after we got her. She couldn't care less when I leave, just hops on my bed and sleeps. My theory is that its kinder to teach your pup how the routine is going to be rather than creating one routine only to change it completely in a couple of weeks when you go back to work and you're not there.

Now they are both left for a full work day and they are absolutely fine. They are inside on my bed, have access to the backyard via a doggy door and have a range of kongs, treat balls and other toys. From filming them when I go to work I know that they play with their toys when I leave for 1/2 to an hour and then go to sleep for the rest of the time. They are even so used to their routine that they do it on the days I am home. Sometimes I will leave them overnight too and they're perfectly happy.

I used to feel guilty about having to leave my dogs but honestly don't anymore. Its a fact of life that I need to work in order to provide for them. But also they have a warm 'human' bed to sleep on, food, water, love, toys, each other, exercise, training, play time and attention. They're on a pretty good wicket and much better than most dogs have it!

This is an interesting thread!! I often worry about leaving my adult dog for long periods of time but work has meant that I have had to.

Presently I work overnight once a week and occasionally twice. I take him to a friend's place but when she was away for a few months Tonka was alone at home sometimes from 6pm to 9am the next morning, depending on peak hour traffic. I always gave him the "special" raw meat on those nights :laugh: Thank goodness I finish this work this week and go to working daytime hours.

With city traffic I often have to add on 40 to an hour getting back and forth to work, so do some days 8am to 6pm. I do sometimes drop him off at friends' places but realize that he likes to be at home and just sleeps. I sometimes have a dog walker once a week to give him a break.