My Boy Is At The Vets

Rach...

by my other dog. My 9 year old Pomeranian is at the vets cos my 18 month old heeler attacked him.

I have to call at 2pm to see how he is coming out of surgery and get to take him home this afternoon.

he has a hole in the side of his face requiring a drain.

i have never been so upset or worried in my life.

Sorry that this has happened. I don't know if they are allowed to mingle together when there is noone there to supervise? if so, maybe it is best to separate them as your pom may not be so lucky next time if there is noone around to save him.

Edited by Moselle

they were seperated but in our new house they arent, they have been fine together for a long time and she is usually fine with him.

I would not be willing to leave them alone together given that this has happened on a couple of occasions already. The cattle dog may be fine with the pom on occasion but she is already showing signs of aggression, better to be safe than sorry.

Oh I really feel for you. It's so upsetting when they fight, it leaves you and them stressed for ages. That's not an even match either. I hope your little man will be OK and you can manage this problem so it doesn't happen in the future. It can be hard to do.

Sorry to hear this - it's traumatic enough when its a strange dog that attacks yours.

You've got some hard thinking to do... sounds like constant separation will be now required to keep the old boy safe.

You may also wish to engage the services of an experienced trainer to assist with evaluating and managing the problem.

Edited by poodlefan

I am hoping this incident will be the one that will get my parents to listen to me about her and get a behaviorist.

he will be inside permanently until we sort out what we are going to do. he will be on antibiotics when he comes home this afternoon

I am so sorry to hear obout your poor little boy, I do hope he pulls through ok. How traumatic for him.

I have an almost 2 year old CattleX bitch that I have raised since a puppy and she occasionally turns on one of the other dogs, she even tore my leg open when I stupidly used my knee to block her attack on my 17yo dog.

She can be delightful for months and then that terribly fighting sound as she has got another dog. I have to keep her crated when Im not observing. She is also crated right through dinner time or anytime food is around.

Its very hard and I do feel for you. Healing vibes to your little Pom.

Hey Rach, so sorry to hear this, my ridgebacks used attack one another all the time, they would be fine for years and then the one ( always the same one) would pick a fight, its so horrible when its your own dogs fighting as you are cross with the one, worried for the other but you will always love them both :laugh: In the end what my vet did ( and it may seem cruel but it was our only solution as I could not rehome either one) is file down their canines. They eat fine and now if they fight all thats visable is slobber marks.

Im so sorry to hear this and i hope your little recovers well and quickly.

Did you say you recently moved? Sometimes a major upheaval like that can really mess with the pack structure. I know when we moved house my previously peaceful older girls started a war that has lead to them both being permantly seperated. They can be in the same room together but for safetys sake when they are one is always crated. Its not worth the risk.

Hope you are doing ok - its a horrible shock to see a dog fight.

Im so sorry to hear this and i hope your little recovers well and quickly.

Did you say you recently moved? Sometimes a major upheaval like that can really mess with the pack structure. I know when we moved house my previously peaceful older girls started a war that has lead to them both being permantly seperated. They can be in the same room together but for safetys sake when they are one is always crated. Its not worth the risk.

Hope you are doing ok - its a horrible shock to see a dog fight.

How awful for you and your dogs, Rach. Don't have any advice, you are upset enough and wondering what on earth to do, but I did think along the lines of what Dust Angel said.

Hope little Pom heals well and this doesn't happen again.

:laugh: