I Don't Know What To Do

sweettooth

I don't quite know where to start so please forgive me for a long post.

About 10 months ago I rented my place to a friend that I had known for a few months. I live on acreages. I was away for 4 months and took my own 6 dogs with me. I had constant phone contact with this friend and all appeared normal. One evening I received a phone call from an older friend of hers advising me that 'Jenny' had abandoned my place as she was in desperate need for psychiatric help as she had a nervous breakdown. I had no idea that she had 'issues.' I was asked to go back home immediately as there were quite a few number of dogs that had been abandoned and needed looking after. I came home to discover that my home had been thrashed. Windows were broken, dogs had chewed holes in walls, the new flooring had been destroyed not to mention that the house was disgustingly filthy. Mice had made themselves at home and did their business just about everywhere as well as chewing everything they could. I recall falling to my knees in total shock and horror. I had to pick myself up, dust myself off and get my act together. I was told that 'Jenny' was a schizophrenic and was on medication but apparently had stopped taking them and hence the mental collapse. Meanwhile I was left with her legacy, a huge number of dogs. I have since rehomed some of the dogs and it hasn't been easy as I wanted to be 100% certain that the dogs were going to a responsible home. I still have a fair few dogs left but it is proving difficult in finding homes for them all. I tried to rehome a toy poodle last week; he was born on the property as his mother was expecting a litter when I came back home; I have been trying to find him a home ever since he was 2 months old and have not been successful. He has the most adorable nature WITH ME, follows me around like a shadow. I had finally found the perfect home for him with a great couple who adore toy poodles but alas this did not last very long for I received a phone call the following morning from the couple advising me that the toy poodle was unhappy, he did not want to approach them, appeared scared and had actually given them a slight bite and they wanted to return him as they felt that he would have been happier with me. Upon arriving here and handing me the pup and seeing how his little tail started wagging again, they shed a tear and said that this is one little dog that should spend the rest of his life with me. I guess that is how it is going to be unless someone prepared to put in the time came forth. I am now wandering if some of the other dogs will also prove difficult to rehome. They are great with me. I guess it is a case of trial and error. I just do not know what to do as I have grown attached to them but I feel that although I can provide food and shelter I cannot give them individualised attention. WHAT am I to do?

:laugh:

if the dogs have spent most of their lives on that property- with only one or two people handling them- they may need a lot of rehab before they can be placed with strangers....

I agree- more info would be great, so folks know what you are dealing with.

I work in rescue. Whenever anyone adopts a dog, they need to virtually ignore it for 2 weeks - this sounds harsh but a dog needs time to adapt and should be left in relative peace for a good result. It is about 2 months before you see the true dog.

Many, many people, expect a dog to instantly love them and show them affection - those are the people you need to avoid. Try and find people with experience of rescue dogs, they are normally more understanding.

Dogs are very adaptable!

Yes, please provide more details. Have any of the dog been desexed, vaccinated etc., The ages of the dogs and what breed they are?

There are a few breeds; havent got the time right now as I am about to go out. Have to go to the vet to pick up a toy poodle (not the same one mentioned in my original post). She appeared to be out of sorts and I ran her to the vet last night at 10pm. She was put on the drip and antibiotics, appears to have picked up overnight, vet suggested carrying out certain tests, not sure at this point. Cheers.

Edited by sweettooth

Hi Sweettooth

Seems like you did everything right and have been severely punished for it. Even if you had rented through an agency, they probably would not have done an inspection for 6 months. It's unfair and sad that your home got trashed.

All the dogs. It seems like you need some help and guidance from experienced rescue people. Maybe you could find someone to guide you on pet rescue, or ask your local vet for ideas. If you can find someone who will list all the dogs on pet rescue for you, that would help increase the number of potential homes for your unexpected tribe.

I do have quite a few dogs that require rehoming but am concentrating on the following to start with.

Lana - bichon frise (purebred) desexed - 4 yo

Chrystal - toy poodle (purebred) entire - 5 yo

Sasha - maltese (purebred) entire - 2 yo

Tyler - cavalier king charles (purebred) entire - 6 yo

sweettooth you really need to get the dogs desexed before rehoming. Otherwise they may be picked up by puppy farmers - who will lie and do anything to get an entire purebred dog to breed from :laugh:

sweettooth you really need to get the dogs desexed before rehoming. Otherwise they may be picked up by puppy farmers - who will lie and do anything to get an entire purebred dog to breed from :laugh:

ABSOLUTELY. I would never contemplate placing any dog in a home without desexing them first. That is so imperative. I have placed other dogs that were left behind in good homes and all were desexed before leaving. I so wish that puppy farmers were extinct. They are one of my hates!