Have You Been Dog Snobbed?

This is for purebreds and Muttleys alike.

I went into a supplier of pet services recently, and ended up in one of those conversations that you don't quite know how you got there and wondered how you could get out of it type deals.

Person in question was an owner/breeder/competitor of pedigree dogs and rightly proud...gorgoues dogs. But I was hugely put off when conversation (considering I was initially in there to find out prices of things) turned somewhat political.

Now I get that most/all breeders are very anti oodles and DD's...but I just wish some of you guys would realise that not all owners of cross breed dogs have them because they thought they were anything other than what they are...Cross Breed. That some of our Oodles and Mixed Breeds are actually pound puppies and rescue dogs. That we did not get our dogs from petshops or from the backyard of some random person because it was cute or we wanted to save a life.

To please also understand I do NOT appreciate my dog being called a Mongrel. Yes I KNOW that it was a term that was used to describe a dog of unknown parentage, but my daughter was a bit upset to hear Dory called such a thing. We prefer Muttly, Cross Breed or our Fav....Red Dog Scruff Mutt. And I'm sure that there is a plethora of others who own cross breeds who would feel the same. Especially when delivered in such a flippant way, as if my dog is a nothing because she doesn't have parents with extensive pedigrees. (She actually could for all we know...accidents do happen...and well....Puppy Farmers get their 'pure breds' somewhere).

I'm very very Proud to have Dory in my life. I'm very proud of who she is and what she is. I don't condone the breeding of more like her. And I specifically got her because I wanted to give a dog a chance at a pretty cool life being spoilt rotten. (but within reason...)

It irks me to have people who bought a DD(in their minds) sneer at her because she is a 'pound puppy' or 'mutt'.(ah...hello love, your dog is a cross breed too!!!!). [okay...Dory has some rough edges and isn't exactly a girly girl kinda girl...she cocks her leg and likes to sniff other dogs butts...she also does not smell like doggie perfume, unless it's of the doggy odour variety].

It irks me to have pedigree dog owners sneer at her for the same reason.

It irks me to have said pedigree owners and breeders ASSUME I bought her as a DD. And then proceed to tell me wrong that is.

Wouldn't it just be nicer to accept her (and others) as is? And only jump to your conclusions AFTER you ask us where we got her from? Rather than assume we got her from an Evil PetShop or BYB.

And on the other hand....to all you Pedigree dog owners.....have you been dog snobbed by others? (I'm sure you have!!!!) I once got lectured by someone at Animal Welfare League about the evils of pedigree dogs and how they are nothing but genetic nightmares and temperament problems waiting to happen. (Yeah mate, that's why the pound is so full of pure breds).

Vent over. But daughter is still annoyed over the 'mongrel' comment. *sigh*

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be upset also but sometimes, we have to take things with a grain of salt.

The world is full of idiots with no tact, whether it be in the dog world or not.

I was also a very proud owner of a "mongrel" (I hate that term. ) as are many other people on this forum. Someone has to adopt these animals.

I think also ppl put way too much focus on "the breed" rather than the individuals temperament and what they bring to your family.

i get offended when people say that because i have a pedigreed dog a pound or rescue dog has died and not been given a chance, ie i should have taken one of them instead.

i have had pound puppies but i now have a set of requirements that means i NEED to know the dogs temperment, size, exercise requirements etc. the only way i can come close to getting those is if i get a pedigreed dog where they are bred to a standard and i research those standards to get a dog that will fit into my lifestyle so i can meet all of its needs.

I did not even know Dory is a X :) I think she is a beautiful girl and agree 100% . :vomit:

Before I read this forum I did not even know about puppy farmers etc..... there is a lot of uneducated dog lovers out there.

My rant comes after one too many encounters of this attitude. Generally I can blow it off. Perhaps it is just the month for it. Or wrong month for something! :vomit:

I just wondered if it was something that happened to other people and with any regularity.

I hear ignorant comments about my dogs all the time. There have been plenty made right here over the years, usually by folk whose arguments were failing and who wanted to take a cheap shot at me.

I just don't care much for the opinions of the sorts of people who would criticise my much loved pets . Its about as acceptable as criticising other people's children IMO.

This person was very scathing of anyone that had a swf, dd etc. I think that is what got up my nose more than anything. They were very disparaging and quite thick with some very unflattering generalisations. And wouldn't hear it any other way. Being an Aries...we love to defend the meek and unrepresented in any discussion. :vomit:

Tokkie....loads of people think Dory is a 'breed', scam artist that she is. She knows how to charm the pants off people.

As to the term of Mongrel...considering that it is rarely used these days as a flattering comment and not often attached to conversations regarding the parentage of pets, you can understand 14 yr olds distressed at hearing her dog compared to an unsavouring element of society.

Have no probs with the term Mutt. And she may technically be called a Mongrel, but I'd prefer if you didn't. Especially as there are other terms that can be used. And I'd say that of most other cross breeds....cept the grumpy little Sh*ts that try to bite me....and that ain't relegated to just cross breeds or even dogs. :)

I've been snobbed several times by people and it's not even a dog i own! It's no fun enduring the comments of those who think you torture dogs by showing them... and yet I return year after year to showcase a wonderful breed at the royal show!

I never refer to people's dogs directly as mongrels... but as a whole I do refer to mongrels as just that... i do prefer the term mixed breed though...

This person was very scathing of anyone that had a swf, dd etc. I think that is what got up my nose more than anything. They were very disparaging and quite thick with some very unflattering generalisations. And wouldn't hear it any other way. Being an Aries...we love to defend the meek and unrepresented in any discussion. :crossfingers:

If this person was the provider of paid services I'd have told her that since she thought so little of my dog I'd take my money elsewhere and make sure other dog owners like me knew of her views.

Sometimes the victory isn't won by arguing but by voting with your wallet :rolleyes:

Edited by poodlefan

It depends on the person making the comment and circumstances surrounding it.

I am sure if a married person that was quite uppity about marriage called my child a bastard if it was born out of wedlock I would probably take offense (and think they were rather socially inept).

Bastard is the correct but old fashioned term. Nowdays it is often used as an offensive word to abuse someone or something.

Mongrel is similar in that way.

So I understand why someone could take offense in that situation....there is no need to devalue someone elses situation to prop up your own stance and feelings of superiorority.

Mutt, cross, mixed breed, rescue mutt obviously doesn't quite have the same conotations.

If this person was the provider of paid services I'd have told her that since she thought so little of my dog I'd take my money elsewhere and make sure other dog owners like me knew of her views.

This. Snobbery is everywhere: rescue; dog sport; dog training; show; DDs; working dogs; DDs and beyond.

If it bugs you, don't reward it by supporting their business.

I was actually the snob on Sunday. We met a lovely man at the creek with his puppy. I asked what she was as she was obviously a cross poodle and something. He proceeds to tell me that she is.......

A third generation pedigree Labrodoodle

:crossfingers:

I smirked and said "Yeah my beagle X cocker is a mongrel aswell" He was most upset with me.

:rolleyes:

I've always thought of mongrel as something you call a bad dog. Mine get called mongrels when they are doing something naughty. In childhood movies and tv shows I remember dogs often being called mongrels by angry farmers or housewives or somebody, regardless of if it was purebred or not.

Mutt I see as an affectionate term for a crossbred dog.

I get snubbed alllllll the time by the general public for "cutting off your dogs' tails" :crossfingers: I don't know how many times I've been lectured or patronized when I've explained natural bob tails. The last time it happened we were walking all three dogs (2 bobs, one tailed) and somebody decided to tell me it was illegal to dock their tails. I said "If I were docking their tails then why would I leave one of them with a tail?". She was stumped for a second until she told me that cross breeds don't get docked. Muddy is a purebred corgi too, just his colouring, coat and tail confuse people.

Edited by Mim

No one has ever called my dog a 'mongrel' to my face, but if they did I would probably be offended. That term is more often than not used in a derogatory way. I guess it depends how they say it! Personally I prefer the term 'bitsa' :crossfingers:

I usually tell people who meet my dog that she was dumped as a puppy, and therefore don't know her parentage, to avoid any judgements!

On the flip side, I was snobbed by an AR nut who had a rant at me because I said I wanted a pedigree dog of particular breeds and that I didn't want a rescue unless it was one of those breeds. I was killing a dog in a pound, you know. :crossfingers:

My rant comes after one too many encounters of this attitude. Generally I can blow it off. Perhaps it is just the month for it. Or wrong month for something! :crossfingers:

I just wondered if it was something that happened to other people and with any regularity.

No, it's never happened to me :rolleyes: But I am guilty of calling my own rescues and Xs mongrels :D :confused: THat's what crossbreeds were called when I was growing up and what we called our dogs that were these, that and Heinz :confused: I had an 'oodle' for 15 years, he was a foundling, never had anyone say anything, except me, if anyone asked what he was I'd say no idea, a mongrel of some sort. And I LOVED him, but that's what he was. :) I have never called anyone elses dog mongrel as it can offend.