Have You Been Dog Snobbed?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh zealots are scary in whatever domain they care to play and rule

theyre everywhere ...so if you encounter something like this....step outside of it...sometimes these people fill their lives with their hobby

and yes it is good to have a hobby but not lose perspective

we are not saving the world here...we are not genuises and should stay humble

once on a high horse it is easy to lose the sight of the ground upon which our feet should be planted

it is easy to become arrogant and full of oneself with knowledge often plucked secondhand along and puff oneself up with irrelevant for the most experiences

sorry you had to live the mongrel moment...have pity for those who dont have a lot of other stuff to get excited about

passion is admirable but it can be a poison

I recently had the pleasure of being told that Ridgebacks have weak spines because their ridge is a defect bred by show breeders and that the ones that don't have mental problems :confused:

I did attempt to explain to the woman the history of the ridge (came from the native African Hottentot dogs which were bred to the imported european hunting dogs) but oh no, that wasn't true as this woman had studied every breed in a BOOK :crossfingers:

She also went on to tell me that you should never push a dog with training (okay partially true but not in the sense that she was implying) and that I should be grateful to have a calm dog (though he probably had mental problems) and that she spoke to a girl earlier who had a GSD that was "crazy" and wouldn't relax. (Hmmmm... gotta wonder if the dog was simply not having it's needs met...)

All this from someone who supposedly had 20 year experience in treating dogs with natural therapies.. :rolleyes:

Man I was angry. Normally I would have bitten this womans head off but we were at one of those 'Mind. Body, Spirit' thingo's where all is quiet and mellow and OH was convinced that we would be cursed with bad vibes and quickly ushered me out the door :confused:

I have two dogs, one is purebred, the other a pound pup.

And yes, I get told that I shoudn't have bought a pedigree dog as there are so many in shelters looking for homes. I ignore it. I couldn't give a sh*t what other people think as a vast majority of them are idiots :rolleyes:

Ignore them, and remind your daughter that Dory is the most special dog in the world, becasue I'm sure that's how she sees it :crossfingers:

I was actually the snob on Sunday. We met a lovely man at the creek with his puppy. I asked what she was as she was obviously a cross poodle and something. He proceeds to tell me that she is.......

A third generation pedigree Labrodoodle

:crossfingers:

I smirked and said "Yeah my beagle X cocker is a mongrel aswell" He was most upset with me.

:rolleyes:

I once had a guy tell me proudly that his dog, which I had thought was a Schnauzer cross, was a first generation Labradoodle...riiight.. :confused:

I was snobbed recently by a neighbour with a cross breed.

She asked why I had so many dogs (because three is a huge number these days....) and I said they are show dogs and I am starting out breeding.

She then gives me the rolled eyes and says her dog is better and she dosnt need a fancy pedigree to know her dog is wonderful and she could go into any show and win best in show.......blah blah blah

yeah, ok lady :crossfingers:

She was bloody rude!

This kind of situation cuts both ways.

I can't resist telling people who tell me they got their puppy from a pet shop - all about puppy mills and where the puppies end up and all the tricks those people use to get people to buy - like splitting the litters up so the puppy is always the last one left of the litter...

But too late now, you have your puppy, get the next one somewhere better, and in the meantime, here's all the resources for making sure you have a happy life together now.

There is a "labradoodle" at our local dog park who looks more like a (cairn?) terrier to me - complete with wire hair and terrier moustache.

And the neighbour's pet shop special schnauzer x spaniel? is starting to look like a wire haired terrier with a bull terrier roman nose. Barbara Streisand effect?

Mulitply this sort of prejudice and invective by 100 and it gives you a feel for what APBT owners go through.

Plus one million for Poodle, well said.

I cop my fair share of the snubbing. I own two cross breeds and they both are cross pitbull. It is not normally the 'your dog is a mongrel' lecture I get it's the your dogs are of bad breeds, they will turn on you, they are untrustworthy, they are savage I could go on. I learn to smile it off. Because Razor is so savage he screams when the cat is near him. I just try to rant as quickly and politely as possible so people don't mistake my lecture as defensiveness.

I try my best not to get upset during the moment so the people or person don't misconstrue it as the truth hurts type of thing. But I'll have my say and regardless if they listen or not you tried your best to give them a small dosage of the rare syrup called intelligence.

I've always thought of mongrel as something you call a bad dog. Mine get called mongrels when they are doing something naughty. In childhood movies and tv shows I remember dogs often being called mongrels by angry farmers or housewives or somebody, regardless of if it was purebred or not.

Akira gets called a mongrel when she's naughty too. OH's dad started it (he only ever calls her "Mongrel", it's her nickname from him) and whenever she's naughty now she gets "Where's that mongrel dog?"

I have had a few people tell me that I have killed dogs in shelters because I have pure breeds, and a few people told me the same when I got Sumo, that all cats are the same and that I could save many for the amount I paid for him. I like knowing what I am getting!

Mulitply this sort of prejudice and invective by 100 and it gives you a feel for what APBT owners go through. :crossfingers:

I give up now, i get way more comments when I have both dogs with me, not too many say anything about Kaos, but a lot of people hate Atlas :rolleyes: I used to fight back with the comments, now i pick my battles and walk away if there is no chance of teaching the other person anything.

I had someone, years ago, tell me that if they lived near me, they would bait my dogs or shoot them :confused:

It's such a shame that people pass judgement, be it snobbery towards cross breeds or designer dogs, or reverse snobbery towards pedigrees. At the end of the day, the subject of their judgement is a life like no other, and is a no more or less loved member of the family.

I own a pedigree lab puppy, because we wanted to know what we were getting, but if we get a second dog I think we'll lean towards a rescue dog as we'll be more experienced dog owners. Each to their own. As long as we love and look after our dogs and spend the time to do all we can to make them part of our lives, who the hell cares?

Edited to add: I was almost guilty of this the other day - the puppy at puppy school looked like a 'beaglier' and I was tempted to say "so cute, is he/she a beagle x king charles cavalier" but decided to shut my bitchy trap :crossfingers:

Edited by Guest

Mulitply this sort of prejudice and invective by 100 and it gives you a feel for what APBT owners go through. :confused:

I've actually gotten more nasty looks and comments when I have been walking my "police dog" looking malinois, than I ever did when walking my stafford. This has really surprised me! Although perhaps people were just too scared to look at me meanly when I was walking my gorgeous bull breed. :rolleyes:

I did have one woman at obedience school casually say "oh isn't he ugly!" about my stafford once. She was handling a poodle, but I was too polite to tell her pot... kettle... black... :crossfingers:

I did have one woman at obedience school casually say "oh isn't he ugly!" about my stafford once. She was handling a poodle, but I was too polite to tell her pot... kettle... black... :crossfingers:

:rolleyes: :confused::confused:

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder and thank God we have so many different breeds of dog to choose from.

It's only when people can't feel good about themselves without putting others down that the stupid comments start.

Using the term mongrel, isn't passing judgment or being derogatory;

its just stating what the dog is - what value the owner then places on that name reference depends on the owner.

I dont care what names people or the public refer to my dogs with - some references I prefer, others i dopnt

but I dont get offended by them

I dont get that precious. To others, the dogs are what they are and so it is apt (though not necesarrily preferred) to call the dogs by all the names they go by.

Anatolian, Kangal, mongrel Turkish dog, wolf killer, wolf strangler, russian mastiff, fighting ovcharka, volkodav ...

sure there are some descriptive terms I dont like

but so what

the dogs are what they are.

imo if you find the term mongrel offensive or a 'dog snob swipe'

you need to feel more secure and confident about your dog :crossfingers:

Edited by lilli

I refer to anything that's not a pedigree dog as a mutt or mongrel and it's bad luck if people take offence.

+1.

But I don't really care if a person has a mongrel or not, a nice dog is a nice dog!

It isn't the dog's fault that it is a mixed/DD breed. We need to stop cross-breeding and not punish

dogs that were simply born.

:rolleyes: :confused::confused:

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder and thank God we have so many different breeds of dog to choose from.

:)