Agility Training Talk Thread

A frame, tunnel and some of the jumps are, I have modded, shorter weave poles because of beginners. We need a few more things in the very near future but since everyone is new we can get away with it.

Unfortunately I can't let anyone be on site or use the equipment outside of class hours :( If you want to pop down when we get some more stuff and use it for a little we can work something out. We're usually there a couple of hours earlier wearing our lot out lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had our first trial since last year (took a break to work on running off issues). Had a great time! Qualified and first place in GD, which gives us our Novice Gamblers title! We also got our first JDO qually! Very excited about that! Glad we had the break and ready to bring it on for this year!

Way to go Kavik

I've only just started - but I started - cos I need the kind of practice you only get by doing...

Like remembering to put the lead on before you leave, and making sure you consider the start as another obstacle.

I'm not going near gamblers any time soon cos we're not too good at running without Da Mamma right there.

Well done Kavik and Ksos! :thumbsup:

I bragged in the brags thread - but so pleased with my 10 year old BC Kirra that I'll have another one here - first trial - and basically first agility (for 4 months - some nice runs with just an odd mistake - mine usually :laugh: , but she did snag two passes in JDM - one to finish JDM2 (the only multiplier she didn't have) and one exta :laugh: - and the best things of all - she had lots of fun, and pulled up OK after 8 runs on Saturday and 4 on Sunday - dear little girly.

We have begun some sequencing work with the young pups and they are amazing us with how much they can do. Here are a few videos of their progress over the last few weeks. Until these, neither pup had sequenced more than a handful of obstacles and never with weaves and/or contacts in the sequence.

I can't wait to see them when they hit the trial ring in a few months time, very exciting stuff :)

Rush and Whip 25.3.12

Rush 1.4.12

Hey guys, just thought I'd join in seeing as I'm into the agility side of things!

I got bored one day and started counting Cherry's quals, only to realise she has enough for her JDM and JDO2 :o So I sent the application away for her title yesterday, oops! She is now 11 so will be taking it lightly this year, especially having very minimal comps after I got into the conformation ring. But now that my schip is 2, this year will be agility year :thumbsup: He is going fantastic in training so far, looking very hopeful!

However, my aussie Rusty is 4, and still has a long way to go. He is a bit of an airhead, and he loves to pee in the ring. This year I am cracking down on his peeing, by carrying (yes he is very heavy!) him out of the ring and crating him straight away when he does it. We had a full course set up Sunday at the club, he peed, so I did the above. It worked quite well, next time round, he was a lot more focused, so hopefully :thumbsup:

Sorry to bore you all, can't wait to gather more tips and tricks and hear about everyones achievments this year :D

• 1 month later...

So with Nationals being so close, I'm surprised this thread was buried about 3 pages deep!

Who is going?

No Nationals for me, but I look forward to hearing all the results.

I'm in the process of training up my new little agility buddy - it's going to be fun running a small dog! We've only just started training so a long way to go yet :) I'm going to enjoy the ride!!

I am doing the nats and very excited to attend my 1st nat , have not entered very much just JDMx3 ADMx3 SPDM ADx2 and SPD I am working the wed . i am looking forward to watching a lot of the runs esp the teams and finals :)

unless of coourse i get in the finals :rofl:

I am excited, very nervous, and wayyyyy underprepared :rofl::eek: I have so much training I wanted to do beforehand, can't believe we are flying out in two weeks :eek: never mind, should be fun regardless of what happens! :thumbsup:

ETA I am also really hoping my brain makes a reappearance in the next two weeks since I seem to be constantly losing it in the ring lately!

Edited by amypie

I'm not doing Nationals, I had some hesitations and when the Bob Bailey seminar popped up I had to make a choice. Turns out it was the right one as there has been some big stuff happen at work and I wouldn't have got the leave to do Nats anyway :eek::(

Have fun to everyone going, and good luck :D

I am going! Very excited! It will be our next trial.

Went to the triple jumping fundraiser trial today - our first time in Masters Jumping! I was a bit nervous about how we would handle the difficulty level but we had a great time! 2nd place qually and 2nd place NQ (separate heights)! What a good boy Kaos!

Congradulations Kavik

Sounds like your training efforts have paid off. I take it your lovely boy Kaos is leaving the baby sitting up to the humans now.

Hope to see you soon. I am going to a trial locally tomorrow which makes a nice change.

Well done!

Thanks skip!

Yes OH gets to look after the kids now when I trial, makes for a much more relaxing time! Can't wait to see you - how is your Kelpie pup going? Can't wait to meet her!

I had my first agility lesson at dog club today :) We went pretty well, got introduced to a few new exercises which we have to practice.

Very excited to finally be doing agility with my boy :D He loves it!

I had my first agility lesson at dog club today :) We went pretty well, got introduced to a few new exercises which we have to practice.

Very excited to finally be doing agility with my boy :D He loves it!

Beware...it's very addictive :laugh:

Felt a bit out of place with all the bcs and aussie sheps :p But we will have fun :D

Do people think I should go out and buy a ladder to practice with?? We were shown how to do the exercise to increase awareness...if it really does help alot I will go buy one to practice with at home :)

You can make one yourself using the plans here:

We got the offcuts of PVC for free from our neighbour when he cleaned out his shed and only had to buy the PVC connectors so it was pretty cheap to make. Have had it for a few years now (its onto dog number 3 in training) and it has lasted just fine.