Something That S*ts Me Repeatedly

MonElite

She has papers but I have NO IDEA whether or not she is fron "show" or "working" lines.

Send me her prefix or pedigree and Ill tell you more.

Dobes were never meant to be a huge dog??? So not sure why people want a huge Dobe?

Dobe is a medium size dog, but so is a border collie. Dobe is a dog that meant to bring a man down, so it has to have some substance.

In Australia in the standard we have a specific height for them, a male should be 69cm. FCI standard has a range and it is 68-72cm.

And a 72cm dobe is a big dog.

I could do a search here or on other forums to show you when people look for a dobe and they all say - oh I think Im going to get a working line one as the show ones look like whippets, they have no substance, no bone pin heads.

Sure there are some that do, but I have no doubt that some of the working lines ones do too!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My pet peeve is the threadbare line I hear when I'm walking my wolfhounds (loose lead) and some Einstein will ask "Who's walking who?" generally followed by the incredibly witty remark, "Bloody hell, you could ride them." I swear one day I'll snot the next jerk that says it.

My usual answer for the next question these dickwads ask ie "What does it eat?' is "an idiot a day but don't panic - he's already eaten."

why the animosity towards people trying to make a bit of conversation? Soon everyone will just walk by with no interaction at all. I take every conversation/silly joke as an opportunity to educate someone on my breed and dogs in general. I like to project an image that dog owners are polite. considerate members of society...

Dobe is a medium size dog, but so is a border collie. Dobe is a dog that meant to bring a man down, so it has to have some substance.

In Australia in the standard we have a specific height for them, a male should be 69cm. FCI standard has a range and it is 68-72cm.

And a 72cm dobe is a big dog.

Yes i know what the standard is, but they are meant to be substantial and withing a certain height range, not huge.

Ideal height:

Dogs 69 cms (27 ins) at withers

Bitches 65 cms (25.5 ins) at withers

Considerable deviation from this ideal undesirable.

A bitch at 25.5 inches certainly isn't huge.

A well filled out 27 inch male is substanial, capable of pulling down and holding a man, but not what I would class as huge. If they wanted huge I would steer them in the direction of a giant breed. Yes a 30 inch Dobe is a large dog to me not a medium one, but once again should not be huge.

I don't understand people preoccupation with having a larger breed then wanting to have the biggest one around. They have a standard, bigger is not necessairly better.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

My pet peeve is the threadbare line I hear when I'm walking my wolfhounds (loose lead) and some Einstein will ask "Who's walking who?" generally followed by the incredibly witty remark, "Bloody hell, you could ride them." I swear one day I'll snot the next jerk that says it.

My usual answer for the next question these dickwads ask ie "What does it eat?' is "an idiot a day but don't panic - he's already eaten."

:thumbsup: I've never ever had so much rubbish said to me, even from friends, as when I had wolfhounds :D It does get pretty tiring, especially when they are a breed with a wonderful temperament and LOVE the couch and bed :o

Yesterday I had a conversation like this whilst walking my spinone and vizsla (and I never expect anyone to know what they are and it does not bother me)

woman walking a lovely ACD- IS that a wolfhound?

Me- no she's called an Italian Spinone, you have alovely cattle dog, we had one the same for 15 years.

Her- I had a wolfhound

Me-(all excited) Oh, where from, I may know it .

Her- well, the father was a cattle dog and the mum a wolfhound cross.

Me- sounds lovely :)

I HATE it when people continually call a wolfie x a wolfhound :D :D and it happens ALL the time. and to prove a point, she had NO IDEA what a wolfhound looks like, the spin is far far FAR smaller than a wolfie and the only similarity is a wirey face :( I know she meant well, but P L E A S E :)

She has papers but I have NO IDEA whether or not she is fron "show" or "working" lines.

Send me her prefix or pedigree and Ill tell you more.

Thank you, Mon. :)

I'm pretty sure, from the info above, that she is a "showy".

But I will PM her details.

She is de-sexed, so, no, it's only for curiosity, not becasue I'm planning anything. :)

I get the 'you could put a saddle on that and ride it' when I used to walk mums danes!

One thing that shits me, is my vet surgery, when I have booked in both of my West Highland WHITE terriers to come in for the first time, they have asked me what colour!!!!

Two of my dogs are west highland white terriers. When out and about with them, people often ask if they are twins!! :):):cooldance:

:happydance:

When I used to walk my previous dog and Zoe together I used to get people asking if they were mother and daughter! They were both crossbreeds from different sources and while the same colour and sort of general build they were not the same breed mix.

This is interesting! I was recently talking to someone with working line Dobermanns, and he told me that working line dogs tend to be smaller than show line dogs, not bigger.

take a look at border collies (the ones here locally atleast) and other breeds. I notice that working lines tend to be finer as they are lean working machines :)

I have to agree, especially with the BCs I see around my area.

I have a Bloodhound

I get tired of the "What is he?" :happydance: - "He's only HOW old?" and I got the "Got a saddle for it" comment for the first time *Sigh*

Oh - and the "Aw - he looks sad" - he isn't - the sod just plays on it for sympathy :cooldance:

:) You need someone to make him a coat with a saddle stitched on it!

I got THIS from one of Mum's friends...

"Oh she has two Lab puppies..... are they male and female..?"

Mum, replies "yes" ...

"Well I hope she is getting them desexed " says this person..

Mum says "yes - why do you ask "

This person then says "Oh good - bc you know Labradors are such sl*ts" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Mum relays this cinversation to me and I am just gobsmacked...

What the ????!!!!!!

I was completely lost for words....

I have a sibe - sick of people telling me you can't do anything with them, they're untrainable apparently.

If I hear one more person who says "I wanted to do obedience/agility with my dog but my partner wanted a husky so we got one and now I can't" I will scream. I've seen sibes in obedience, agility, flyball and in the show ring - Zero's a qualified therapy dog so there's nothing you can't do with them if you can find what motivates them.

is a whole team of flyballing huskis

I get the 'you could put a saddle on that and ride it' when I used to walk mums danes!

One thing that shits me, is my vet surgery, when I have booked in both of my West Highland WHITE terriers to come in for the first time, they have asked me what colour!!!!

The same vet surgery (I think...) insists on writing Lincoln's and Toby's colour as choclate no matter how many times I tell them they are brown, esp since that is the correct terminology for Lincoln.

When my red dobe was younger, I got all kinds of comments. A lot of people asked if he would darken with age, as they only knew of black dobes, which I always found amusing. And 95% of people who commented on his breed asked or just assumed he was a kelpie cross, again because of the colour.

I wouldn't get too upset about it, it's like GSD's. Some people breed them to have roached, curved backs, others like the straight backs, both can be shown. When I was visiting breeders I found plenty of pin-headed whippet like dobes with impressive show titles, and I found more solid ones, but all I cared about was their temperament. I was a lot more upset by breeders telling me these days dobes should just be labs in doberman clothing because there wasn't any room for a real doberman in society anymore.

If I'm out with my Lappie on a hot day people often go "awwww, he must really feel the heat". I have been asked why I didn't clip him for summer. :hug: Now, I'm pretty tolerant and I always smile and assure them that all that fur is good for keeping the heat out as well as the cold out, but by god, CLIP HIM???? I have also got the "Oh you must be so hot you poor thing" when out jogging with him at 8pm on a summer evening. It wasn't even a hot summer evening. Why do people see a fluffy dog and think he must be hot if the temp is above 25 degrees? There's another chap that thinks he's fat or something because of all that fur. He has a little crossbreed that must have Iggy in it it's so damn fast. Erik tries to catch him and never gets close. Sometimes Kivi joins the fun and the guy laughs and says "You'll have a heart attack if you try to keep up with him!" Well, Kivi might lumber a bit, but he can run around without having heart failure I should hope.

Two of my dogs are west highland white terriers. When out and about with them, people often ask if they are twins!! :(:hug::hug:

I know the feeling Westielover, I went to the Brisbane Westie Walkers a while back, there were over 30 Westies all gathered in a grassy area in the park and this guy who was riding his bike stopped and asked "how come they look all the same" :hug:

I get tired of people, including vets, telling me that shar pei are agressive dogs - "they're fighting dogs you know". I've even had vets scared to check them over - and they are always pleastantly suprised when my dogs stand quietly and wag their tails.

Having a Dane, I'm subject to the bigger is better rules. People with all types of dogs stop us and make some daft announcement about how their dog's parent's were wayyy bigger than my dog, so their dog is going to make her look like a puppy.

Yes, of course I'm going to believe that your obese Labradoodle is going to magically shoot up to tower over Moon's 35 inches. It's perfectly reasonable to believe that your waddling mutt's lumbering paws are a clear indication of it's adult size.

Maybe all it's fat will migrate to it's legs to make them longer, or you can try hypnosis to re-wire it's brain to believe it's a pure Dane, then it'll just shoot up.

:mad

Having a Dane, I'm subject to the bigger is better rules. People with all types of dogs stop us and make some daft announcement about how their dog's parent's were wayyy bigger than my dog, so their dog is going to make her look like a puppy.

Yes, of course I'm going to believe that your obese Labradoodle is going to magically shoot up to tower over Moon's 35 inches. It's perfectly reasonable to believe that your waddling mutt's lumbering paws are a clear indication of it's adult size.

Maybe all it's fat will migrate to it's legs to make them longer, or you can try hypnosis to re-wire it's brain to believe it's a pure Dane, then it'll just shoot up.

They must be the same sort of people that we see at the off-lead park claiming that their hyperactive crossbreed is as fast as, or even faster than a greyhound.

Then they let their dog off lead and it madly races across the park as fast as its luxating little legs can carry it while Coconut runs rings around it at a very gentle gallop. ;)

They must be the same sort of people that we see at the off-lead park claiming that their hyperactive crossbreed is as fast as, or even faster than a greyhound.

Then they let their dog off lead and it madly races across the park as fast as its luxating little legs can carry it while Coconut runs rings around it at a very gentle gallop. ;)

:grouphug: