I Can't Do It Anymore

Kirty

I just opened my garage door to find it completely trashed. Every box and bag ripped open and the contents strewn from end to end. My special treasures, my fabric and stuffing, my cat stuff - everything everywhere. The 8kg bag of cat food is empty and there is dog poo and dog piss everywhere. My stupid bastard dog has gotten in there again. He has broken the lock on the back door and gotten in there again. I can't do this anymore. I hate him. I hate him so much. Why does he do these things? He is 8 years old, he is not a puppy. He has bones and toys and a full tummy. He has the other dogs to play with. He gets regular walks. I can't stop crying. I feel sick. All my things are ruined. Why does he keep doing this? He has always been so destructive but I kjept thinking surely he will outgrow it. The couch and rug in there are ruined. I just can't cope with him anymore. I feel like I am going to be sick.

Edited by Kirty

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Wow, it must have been a shock for you. I can't help you with advice because I don't know your dog nor do I really have a lot of knowledge about this kind of behaviour. I can offer a cyber hug though. Hang in there.

Kirty,

I am so sorry, I am going through this with one of my animals at the moment too. He has been a constant battle for 4 years and it never gets better, I love him to death but the damage, the stress and the vet bills when he does stupid things weigh on me especially lately. I understand your frustration there is a fine line with love and hate. Take a deep breath, stay away from him and take time to calm down before you face the damage

I don't even know where to begin to start cleaning it up. It is so disgusting. Its all ruined. He has wrecked the garage door getting in there. Its all bent, the lock is broken.

I don't even know where to begin to start cleaning it up. It is so disgusting. Its all ruined. He has wrecked the garage door getting in there. Its all bent, the lock is broken.

I'm so sorry, he must be a very strong boy to do this to the door :) Hugs.

He has always done things like this. At our last house, he smashed the window in the garage to get in there. He trashed that too. That was 5 years ago and he is still doing the same crap. The cat food bag was unopened so he couldn't have smelt it. He is just so destructive. He stills pulls washing off the line sometimes, he destroys every bed and every coat and every collar that I put out. He is the only dog who wears a collar because he has eaten the others off the other dogs.

He is Champa. He can be so good sometimes, but then he goes and does something like this. I just can't deal with him. He is a Lab x GSP and he is very strong. The garage door is tin, he has just pushed and pulled at it enough to make a gap he can squeeze through. He couldn't get back out though which is how I know it was him.

So sorry Kirty - I know this must be a straw that broke the camels back type thing, Which 'stupid bastard' in your pic did this so I can give them 'the death stare'?

I don't know if this helps but kids (partic teenagers) can often do the most shitty, irritating and potentially dangerous things that they know they are going to get in trouble for. Thing is sometimes they are just craving one on one attention and don't see the difference between whether it is positive or negative attention - even if you are screaming at them and telling them you are sending them to live elsewhere they still have your full and undivided attention! I know dogs aren't human but could your boy be suffering from this? Does he get regular one on one just with you, no other dogs present?

I have a girl almost 3 years old and while she loves our other 2 dogs she needs me time. If I spend what she feels is an inappropriate amount of time with one of the others doing fun stuff she will pee on things - anything really. She can't talk so I see that as her way of telling me she's pissed off.

Perhaps crate training or a dog run is in order.. how old is he? We used to have similar problems with our cattle dog right up until she was about three years old :).. some dogs just take longer to mature than others I guess. Sorry about all of your stuff.. I hope atleast some of it is able to be salvaged :).

Ah.. I just read that he is 8. That's pretty old for these sorts of things to still be happening I guess :) Not what you'd expect. Dogs will be dogs.. I'm sure he's picked up that you're very unhappy with him and is feeling quite sorry for himself :). Maybe you could consult a trainer or behaviorist.. could be something underlying that is fixable with a bit of training.

It has always been him and at least one other dog. I walk them in pairs so he gets a fair bit of time with me. He has to be supervised 100% inside because as soon as you take your eyes off him, he will get up and eat the cat food or cat litter or pee on something. He just has to push the boundaries constantly. Constantly. If you tell him to do something, he will look at you and wait until you get up or make him do it, etc. He is just constantly testing to see what he can get away with. At our old house I would always know when he had done something naughty because I'd come home and he'd be hiding. I'd be calling and calling and he wouldn't come. Sure enough, look around and you'd find something he'd destroyed.

He used to jump our 6 foot fences and steal shoes from the neighbours houses. I kept finding shoes in the yard and couldn't work out where they were coming from. He would jump the fence, steal some shoes and bring them back. One day we came home earlier than usual and he wasn't in the yard. We went searching and found him hours later, hiding in a bush in our front yard. He had been there the whole time.