Update On Banjo From Albury

Steve

O.K. Latest news.

Last week end the owner was picked up from the hospital and taken with Banjo to the off leash dog Park.

Gary still cant walk but was able to stand with help and watch Banjo play and enjoy himself with the other dogs.

I cant tell you enough about how fantastic our Foster Carer, Chris, and her family have been throughout all of this.

Not only has she looked after Banjo perfectly but she has taken the dog to the hospital for visits with his Dad and now, even though the Foster carer had never met the dog or the owner the relationships that have developed with both is awesome. There is a strong bond there now which Im sure will remain a friendship and support system for the rerst of their lives.

Gary goes home on the 13th of September. He has come a long way from being paralysed and not being able to move more than his head.

He will be aided when he goes home by Lifetime Care which is a group that assists people who have spinal injuries caused by car or bike accidents.

We are aiming for Banjo's first sleep over back at home in mid October.The plan is one night then the following month 2 sleepovers and if all goes well to slowly increase until Banjo is back home with Chris calling in every couple of days to walk him and ensure all is well.

As you can see though this is going to be a slow process and the goal of being able to be in his own home again with his dog is something which helps Gary to keep up his good spirits and believe there is a future for him.

In the beginning there was a lot of pressure on Gary to simply surrender his dog and everyone involved is now so thankful that didnt happen and that Banjo is still a major part of Gary's life.

I dont know how to find words to type which sufficiently explain how this story makes me feel. But it helps me to see that we really are building something which changes people's and their animal's lives. I was able to tell the foster carer - Chris - that she had been nominated for an MDBA award last night and her reaction made me feel we had come a least some way in telling her how great we think she is.

Something wonderful is happening as well across the board - so far without exception. Because what we do is to take on people's much loved family pets when their owners hit hard times relationships are being built which last longer than current period of care for the dog does. Our foster carers are truly wonderful people and how lucky are we to have them as part of our team!

Nicola, Kim and Chris especially have opened their hearts and their homes to help us - Thank you.

Julie

Edited by Steve

Wonderful news, Banjo would have been instrumental in his owners will to fight for every bit of movement regained I am sure. The foster carers souind like they deserve public recognition for their outstanding care and support of Banjo and his owner, this should be a news story.

Pacers, this is the sort of support net that the dog world desperately needed, thankyou :laugh:

Chris rang me last night to tell me she'd been nominated Steve - she was so gobsmacked that what she did was considered worthy of nomination. :laugh: We both said that what Pacers provides in situations like this is so vital and must have taken such a load of Banjo's owner's mind. Just warms your heart doesn't it?

so glad all the difficulties of keeping Banjo were worked through for Gary. I cannot imagine with all the injuries he has to deal with how bleak his life would have been if Banjo too was taken from him. What a great outcome. Well done to all involved.

It's a sad world when a story like this cannot be told amongst all of the crap we see on tv.

Agree. I thought the same.

PACERS needs a marketing department - LOL. Steve could just about start her own "Good News" newspaper with all the work she is getting.

Anyone thought of contacting the local media in that area? this could be the kind of story that will fill a spare couple of columns or the 2mins at the end of the news broadcast. That is if all parties involved are interested/comfortable. WIN TV is always calling out for news stories ...

Oh, and well done to all concerned. It's nice to know that there are people like this in the world.

At the moment Gary has a lot of new things to deal with when it comes to living at home again, including the fact that quite simply he can't do stuff on his own. Everything he does in this part of his life will be trial and error until it works out. Having to adjust to moving home AND his very enthusiastic dog all at once will be too much - he is definitely not stable enough on his feet when he is up to cope with a large excited dog. Chris said that Banjo will have visits with him at home for a couple of hours and then it will be extended until he can do an overnight trial. Once that has been successful then longer visits. There would be nothing worse for Gary's confidence in his ability to do things himself if it was all rushed and he felt that he wasn't able to cope with Banjo permanently. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...