Quoted About Dogs

Ashanali

Old dogs, like old shoes, are comfortable.

They might be a bit out of shape and a little worn

around the edges, but they fit well!!

(Bonnie Wilcox, breed expert)

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like

never washed a dog.

(Franklin P Jones, author)

This thread is great and very timely for me!!

In the last couple of weeks i've decided I want to get a 'dog' tattoo. I didn't want a picture of a dog, or the typical dog paw, and was perplexed as to what to get. And I decided around a week ago that I would get a quote. I hadn't had a chance to start looking yet! DOL is the best. haha.

So far I love (and would consider) : "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

This thread is great and very timely for me!!

In the last couple of weeks i've decided I want to get a 'dog' tattoo. I didn't want a picture of a dog, or the typical dog paw, and was perplexed as to what to get. And I decided around a week ago that I would get a quote. I hadn't had a chance to start looking yet! DOL is the best. haha.

So far I love (and would consider) : "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

This is my very favorite as well :laugh:

Tis sweet to hear the watch-dog’s honest bark. Bay deep-mouh’d welcome as we draw near home. Tis sweet to know there is an eye will mark our coming, and look brighter when we come.

- Lord Byron

Dog, a kind of additional or subsidiary Deity designed to catch the overflow of surplus of the world’s worship.

- Ambrose Bierce

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.

You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

- Anonymous

The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind.

- Theodorus Gaza

I would rather see the portrait of a dog that I know than all the allegorical paintings they can show me in the world.

- Samuel Johnson

If it be the chief point of friendship to comply with a friend’s motions and inclinations, he possesses this in an eminent degree; he lies down when I sit, and walks when I walk, which is more than many good friends can pretend to do.

- Alexander Pope

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in his selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is the dog….He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer; he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world…. When all the other friends desert, he remains.

- George G. Vest

I take the liberty of confiding in you charity and humanity…Max, who is the best and gentlest and most reasonable and well-mannered, as well as most beautiful small animal of his kind…I shall take it kindly if he be not too often gratified with tidbits at meals. Of course what he most intensely dreams of is being taken out on walks, and the more you are able to indulge him the more he will adore you and the more all the latent beauty of his nature will com out.

- Henry James

Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who possessed Beauty without Vanity, Strength without Insolence, Courage without Ferocity, and all the Virtues of Man without his Vices. This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery, if inscribed over human ashes, is but a just Tribute of the Memory of BOTSWAINT, a dog

- John Cam Hobhouse

One of the animals which a generous and sociable man would soonest become is a dog. A dog can have a fiend; he has affections and character; he can enjoy equality the field and the fireside; he dreams, he caresses, he propitiates; he offends, and is pardoned; he stands by you in adversity; he is a good fellow.

- Leigh Hunt

A dog has one aim in life. To bestow his heart.

J. R. Ackerley

A dog awakens your heart to joy and companionship - and to sorrow.

Pam Brown

A dog is a chance to express yourself without the fear of seeming too foolish, a chance to share emotions that others of our kind too often repel - tenderness, outright joy and love.

Gail Peterson

A dull day, a sad day, a frustrating day - but everything seems bright when a small furry object hurls into your arms and tells you how very glad he is to see you home.

Pam Brown

A wise dog can teach children much of what they need to know. Patience. Kindness. Caring. Sharing. Companionship and Love

Pam Brown

You dog never knows that you have been mean or jealous or grasping. It encourages you to be kindly to itself, and when you respond, it loves you.

Sir James Walpole

No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as a dog does

Christopher Morely

Here's love. Disguised as a mop.

Pam Brown

This is the pup that will worry a glove to death. Kill a shoe. Rip a toilet roll to shreds - and run a mile if it sees a mouse.

Pam Brown

To hold a living creature, to learn its loveliness, to feel its heart beat in our hands, is to know trust, is to at last to understand that we are kin. Is to rejoice in life. Is to lose all loneliness.

Pam Brown

A dog meeting its new owners says "I love you. Please, please please love me too."

Pamela Dugdale

Dog Mottos

Never bite when a simple growl will do

Never growl when looking cute will do

No matter what you've done wrong

Always try to make it look like the cat did it.

Stuart and Linda Mcfarlane

"In dog years I'm dead." - Unknown

"Old dogs, like old shoes, are comfortable. They might be a bit out of shape and a little worn around the edges, but they fit well." - Bonnie Wilcox 'Old Dogs, Old Friends'

"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." - Robert Louis Stevenson

"Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job." - Franklin P Jones

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. – Anonymous

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful. - Ann Landers

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

>>> - Ben Williams

>>>

>>> A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves

>>> himself.

>>> - Josh Billings

>>>

>>>

>>> The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.

>>> - Andy Rooney

>>>

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made. - M. Acklam

Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate. - Sigmund Freud

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult. - Rita Rudner

A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down. - Robert Benchley

>>>

>>> Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.

>>> - Franklin P. Jones

>>>

>>> If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have

>>> known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.

>>> - James Thurber

>>>

>>> If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise.

>>> - Unknown

>>>

>>> My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can.

>>> That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

>>> - Joe Weinstein

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth! - Anne Tyler

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A. Heinlein

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. - Mark Twain

You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!' - Dave Barry

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them. - Phil Pastoret

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

"When its raining cats and dogs, be sure not to step in the poodles."—Unknown

’Dogs are our link to paradise"

They don't know evil or jealously or discontent.”

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious

afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing

nothing was not boring it was peace"

You may feel distinctly average. But to your dog you are exceptional, wonderful, the one and only! - Jo Winter

Where cats arrange themselves elegantly, dogs slump and sprawl without ceremony. Perhaps that's why they're such relaxing company - Jo Winter

A dog can express more with his tail in minutes than his owner can express with his tongue in hours - Unknown

All knowledge, the totality of all questions and all answers is contained in the dog - can't read the name crediting this one on my desk calendar!

Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

Mud is like manna from heaven to a puppy - Mae Somers (personally I think to all dogs, not just puppies!)

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant - Unknown

and my personal favourite:

A watchdog is a dog kept to guard your home, usually by sleeping where a burglar would awaken the household by falling over him - Unknown

I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who have not got the guts to bite people themselves.

August Strindberg

If dogs could talk, perhaps we would find it as hard to get along with them as we do with people.

Capek

There's just something about dogs that makes you feel good. You come home, they're thrilled to see you. They're good for the ego.

Janet Schnellman

And God said to Adam, "The gift I am sending you is a reflection of the love I have for you. Therefore his name is a reflection of my name, and he is Dog." And Dog loved Adam and licked Adam's hand. God was pleased and Adam was comforted. Dog was happy and wagged his tail.