New Neighbourhood

kirsty79

Please do not consider the Anti bark or shock collars without doing your research. They can cause a lot of damage and you run the risk of doing more harm then good to your dog http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/ph...id=135249950615

A correctly used collar will not inflict injuries like this.

A well fitted correctly used collar is a far better alternative than a dead dog.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first got my dog, I took her round all the neighbours including some less than dog friendly ones (who had written letters to the local newspaper mentioning poisoning dogs that bark all day). There's quite a few barking dogs around here. Mine likes to bark too. But only when I'm home - go figure. Anyway I told everybody to come and talk to me or drop me a note if they had a problem with my dog barking too much. So far so good.

But that doesn't mean some dog hating stranger couldn't walk down my back lane and toss something over the fence.

So I don't like to leave her in the back yard when I'm out. When she was a puppy I would put her in a crate and she would sleep all day. It's better than the risk of dog being poisoned. Again - you have to weigh up how likely it is. Maybe phone the police and ask them if they have a record of dogs being poisioned. Sometimes people make stories up like this or import them from far away places.

Please do not consider the Anti bark or shock collars without doing your research. They can cause a lot of damage and you run the risk of doing more harm then good to your dog http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/ph...id=135249950615

Brennan's mum- what is the story behind these photos?It would be useful to know exactly what is behind them.Do you have any more info?

To me it looks as if this poor dog was 'fitted' with a electronic remote controlled 'training' collar -(photo description said 'SHOCK collar'-) and the owner either had it turned up FULL and used a long 'correction' , or , if it was an anti bark collar-the unit malfunctioned.

The marks aren't on the voicebox area of the dog - where I would expect them to be for an effectively used anti bark collar ... perhaps something went horribly wrong all round?

A correctly used collar will not inflict injuries like this.

A well fitted correctly used collar is a far better alternative than a dead dog.

The trouble is, it's not just the risk of the physical damage done to the dog, but also the pyschological damage. There is no guarantee that the dog will associate the shock with the behaviour it is meant to be modifying ie barking.

http://www.apbc.org.uk/articles/shockcollars

http://www.dogsportmagazine.com/?p=436

http://www.hollysden.com/say-no-to-shock-collars.htm

Brennan's mum- perhaps you have the two a bit confused? An anti bark collar is activated by the action of a dog BARKING. It is the vibration of the voicebox which then causes the vibration of the electrodes- spray of citronella etc.

So - a dog plays quietly, watches the cat, eats his dinner- no stimuls from the collar. The dog barks- bbbzzt! Ok- dog thinks that's odd ... so barks again. bbbzzzt!\

if dog is smart - he will test it again, then work out that when he's quiet- he can carry on as usual. :rofl:

When a person has a remote device on a training collar- yes, timing may be off, stim may be too strong.... all sorts of things may happen.

1. It's important to note that your neighbour said the people whose dogs were poisoned were "less than pleasant" - so bear in mind the poisoning may have been related to something else and not a usual occurence in your neighbourhood. Who knows what kind of enemys they made or for what reasons. You - on the other hand - don't seem "less than pleasant" so you and your dogs are less likely to attract such a nasty attack.

I would assume that whatever be the reason behind poisoning the dogs, the perpetrators themselves would be 'less than pleasant' if they feel it's ok to hurt animals who don't know better.

I'm not sure about the powers the council have in such situations, but I wish they had greater power to act, including ordering debarking, so that people annoyed by barking dogs wouldn't feel they have to go to such extremes.

Brennan's mum- perhaps you have the two a bit confused? An anti bark collar is activated by the action of a dog BARKING. It is the vibration of the voicebox which then causes the vibration of the electrodes- spray of citronella etc.

So - a dog plays quietly, watches the cat, eats his dinner- no stimuls from the collar. The dog barks- bbbzzt! Ok- dog thinks that's odd ... so barks again. bbbzzzt!\

if dog is smart - he will test it again, then work out that when he's quiet- he can carry on as usual. :rofl:

When a person has a remote device on a training collar- yes, timing may be off, stim may be too strong.... all sorts of things may happen.

No I do not have them confused. Both the remote training collar and the anti bark collars are aversive methods. With the anti bark collar there is no guarantee that the dog will associate the shocks or the spray with the barking. Whilst hypothetically they should, there is still no guarantee.

Brennan's mum- what is the story behind these photos?It would be useful to know exactly what is behind them.Do you have any more info?

To me it looks as if this poor dog was 'fitted' with a electronic remote controlled 'training' collar -(photo description said 'SHOCK collar'-) and the owner either had it turned up FULL and used a long 'correction' , or , if it was an anti bark collar-the unit malfunctioned.

The marks aren't on the voicebox area of the dog - where I would expect them to be for an effectively used anti bark collar ... perhaps something went horribly wrong all round?

OMG that "facebook"link would turn every-one off collars for-ever,looks like it has been on this poor dog for weeks,day& night.It must have been so ruddy tight.Should have been around the owners neck. Like everything the purpose it was meant for has been abused.On that long the battery would have been flat any-how.

Perhaps a "behavourist" as suggested & also they would show u how to teach your dogs never to eat food unless u say so.....how long this would take,some behavourist trainer on here could tell you that and or give the link.

I think it was Steve that put a link re training your dog about food & feeding it only when u gave the nod......who-ever it was excellent.I have learnt sooo much since joining Forum.Thanks to all,remembering it all is of course another matter! :rofl:

1. It's important to note that your neighbour said the people whose dogs were poisoned were "less than pleasant" - so bear in mind the poisoning may have been related to something else and not a usual occurence in your neighbourhood. Who knows what kind of enemys they made or for what reasons. You - on the other hand - don't seem "less than pleasant" so you and your dogs are less likely to attract such a nasty attack.

I would assume that whatever be the reason behind poisoning the dogs, the perpetrators themselves would be 'less than pleasant' if they feel it's ok to hurt animals who don't know better.

Of course! I would still proceed with caution and take steps to safe-guard my dogs in this situation but I wouldn't panic and assume that because some creep allegedly poisoned another creeps dogs they will automatically do the same to mine. The neighbour is just making assumptions that may or may not be correct. My main purpose was to take some of the stress out of the situation that's all.

No I do not have them confused. Both the remote training collar and the anti bark collars are aversive methods. With the anti bark collar there is no guarantee that the dog will associate the shocks or the spray with the barking. Whilst hypothetically they should, there is still no guarantee.

i really disagree with what you have said here. all training tools have their place and in some cases the tools you have mentioned are the only thing between keeping a dog and it being pts.

any tool can be misused that is why it is imperative that any tool is used correctly and with the assistance of a trainer or behaviouralist.

this is a difficult situation. I know people who have used the anti bark collars and they have worked well. I even used the citrenella one on my dog however it did not work as well. I don't think a run would stop them from barking but it would protect them.

I personally would give them a large amount of exercise daily first for a while and see if that minimises the barking. If they still do it maybe the only option would be to leave them inside.

Don't panic,

Moving house is very stressful, don't forget you are probably a bit anxious, I always am when I move into a new place and have to get to know a neighbourhood. Just because one neighbour has a story, doesn't mean that all your neighbours are dog haters with a pack of cyanide.

There are loads of possibilities to explain a poisoning- IF there even was a poisoning. The neighbour doesn't know who poisoned the dogs, and you have no way of knowing what is true, maybe it's a local tale to encourage people to do the right things with their dogs.

If the dogs were poisoned, you don't know what or how.....dogs get poisoned in numerous ways, my guess would be that it's probably less by deliberate action and more by by accident or omission, eg: rat sak left around, off leash dog finding a rabbit that's been poisoned etc, or my personal experience the "something" in the yard that no other dog has ever bothered with and for some reason, the new dog eats it......or new plants. There are so many plants that can be toxic, especially the Dracaenas and the Birds of Paradise that are so popular in the newer style gardens.....is it one of those places where the new gardens are being built and dogs might find fertiliser to eat? (Blood and Bone, Dynamic Lifter etc)? It's still poisoning, but it does shine a different light on things.

If you are worried that your dogs barking might upset neighbours, then be proactive, look at the options and keep communication open. As someone else suggested encourage them to speak to you if there are any concerns and you can outline whatever plan you have come up with. As you have already said to your neighbour, the dogs will take some time to settle in. Maybe focus on what calms you and your dogs and go with that, eg: big walks for all, or some decent bones for them, whatever keeps you all calm.

PS Don't forget to change your address with the Microchip people and register the dogs with the new council.

Whippetsmum

i really disagree with what you have said here. all training tools have their place and in some cases the tools you have mentioned are the only thing between keeping a dog and it being pts.

any tool can be misused that is why it is imperative that any tool is used correctly and with the assistance of a trainer or behaviouralist.

True it is that any tool can be misused even a basic flat collar.

However I think that it is important that someone researches both arguments before making a decision to use select tools. It is ultimately important that the OP is presented with options that will allow her to hopefully do some further research and make an informed decision based on her needs.

End of the day it's to each their own...I just thought it is important that the OP gets a variety of opinions and information.

I am a Purely Positive trainer.

I would never be able to use one on Fred or Jess! I'm too soft.

If you are 'too soft' to use an anti bark collar- then I hope you can find another solution .... Anti bark collars do what is needed- they provide either a distaction ,or an aversive when the dog barks too much. simple . It doesn't hurt the dog at any other time ..and it is only for a fraction of a second. A smart dog will learn VERY quickly what is going on, and stop doing what makes for a bit of unpleasantness :D

have a read HERE for a thread on Anti bark collar use :cheer:

+1. :rofl:

My dogs are safely indoors when I am not home, this gives me peace of mind that they are as safe as can be and that they are not causing anybody problems with fence running, any sheep attacks in the district are definitely not my dogs and also importantly they are safe from people :laugh:

I would never leave my dogs in a situation that could injure/kill them, maybe inside is your option if you wont use a bark collar-however have you thought of the bark collar that squirts citronella?

To me, that is the best solution of all. My boys, as I mentioned before, are always inside, in their crate, when OH & I are both out. They just go off to sleep and are not at all distressed. That way I know they are both safe, no-one can get to them and Dylan, the escape artist, can't find a way to get out.

I used to live in a suburb of Melbourne that had quite a high proportion of boarding kennels. I didn't find the barking much of a problem - it was usually when someone arrived to pick up/drop off a dog - but one dog contstantly barking/howling all day would drive me crazy (but no way would I resort to poison - not for the dog, anyway :laugh: )

if dog is smart - he will test it again, then work out that when he's quiet- he can carry on as usual. :laugh:

However I think that it is important that someone researches both arguments before making a decision to use select tools. It is ultimately important that the OP is presented with options that will allow her to hopefully do some further research and make an informed decision based on her needs.

End of the day it's to each their own...I just thought it is important that the OP gets a variety of opinions and information.

no kiddin, i wouldn't have guessed. you cannot be irresponsible and scaremongering when people are genuinely looking for solutions.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

if dog is smart - he will test it again, then work out that when he's quiet- he can carry on as usual. :laugh:

no kiddin, i wouldn't have guessed. you cannot be irresponsible and scaremongering when people are genuinely looking for solutions.

Now that is a bit rude.

I have not been trying to ''scare monger'' and I have certainly not been irresponsible. All I did was try to share some articles so that the OP could make an INFORMED decision. I saw a lot of people suggesting the Collars, and felt that the OP should make a well rounded decision.

So for you to call me a ''scare monger'' or irresponsible I find INCREDIBLY RUDE. Why is that? because you do not support my methods and yet you are defensive because you feel I have ''attacked'' your methods?

Tell me, if you were considering a training device for your dog would you want to get information on the pro's and con's of all devices? or would you prefer to go based on majority rules.

i groomed a Belgian Shepherd just a few weeks ago that had horrific wounds on its neck that i thought were grass seed abcess. When the owner collected the dog i started telling/showing the wounds....he quickly put 2 & 2 together and solved the mystery. The dog had been wearing a shock collar loaned from the council after they had a complaint about the dog barking. He was mortified by the damage to the dog, as it had been hiding away in the thick hair.

I'm not saying they are an entirely bad idea, just if you choose the option, become well informed about their proper use.

Good luck

My dogs are safely indoors when I am not home, this gives me peace of mind that they are as safe as can be and that they are not causing anybody problems with fence running, any sheep attacks in the district are definitely not my dogs and also importantly they are safe from people :love:

I would never leave my dogs in a situation that could injure/kill them, maybe inside is your option if you wont use a bark collar-however have you thought of the bark collar that squirts citronella?

To me, that is the best solution of all. My boys, as I mentioned before, are always inside, in their crate, when OH & I are both out. They just go off to sleep and are not at all distressed. That way I know they are both safe, no-one can get to them and Dylan, the escape artist, can't find a way to get out.

I used to live in a suburb of Melbourne that had quite a high proportion of boarding kennels. I didn't find the barking much of a problem - it was usually when someone arrived to pick up/drop off a dog - but one dog contstantly barking/howling all day would drive me crazy (but no way would I resort to poison - not for the dog, anyway :eat: )

:laugh::laugh:

i groomed a Belgian Shepherd just a few weeks ago that had horrific wounds on its neck that i thought were grass seed abcess. When the owner collected the dog i started telling/showing the wounds....he quickly put 2 & 2 together and solved the mystery. The dog had been wearing a shock collar loaned from the council after they had a complaint about the dog barking. He was mortified by the damage to the dog, as it had been hiding away in the thick hair.

I'm not saying they are an entirely bad idea, just if you choose the option, become well informed about their proper use.

Good luck

Usually caused by a slack owner leaving the collar on for extended periods, not the way to go at all.