Dogs That Sleep In The House - Question On Times

JulesP

My 17week old is crated over night. If he goes to bed when i do it is around 10.30ish and then up at 6am. He holds for that time. On weekends when i want to sleep in, so does he. If he needs to go to the toilet he barks, i take him out, and then he goes back to his crate and sleeps until i am ready to get up. If he doesnt want to sleep he chews on a toy or something until i am ready to get up.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My pup goes to bed between 10 and 11, we take her out before and she is asleep until about 7 to 8. She doesn't make a sound through out the night at all and she has had no accidents either. We keep her in the laundry so there's plenty of room for her to do something but nothing at all! I got a crate when i first got her but she didn't like it and cried all night. We then changed to the laundry and she is quiet as a mouse. Not a peep!

free range sleeping dogs here too

I go to bed about 11 pm and the boys go out for a wee before bedtime and I always make sure they go otherwise Onslow is scratching and barking at the door about an hour later. Tilly seems to take herself outside about 8.30 pm or 9.00 pm, makes herself comfortable on the recliner for the night and rarely goes out with the boys.

I get up about 7 am and let them out. However sometimes I'm woken by flash snuffling in my face or Onslow scratching and barking at the door to let them out. Sometimes Onslow is very regular about what time he wants out, for awhile it was always right on 3 am but with colder nights he is not so keen. If the boys do want to go out in the middle of the night/early morning Tilly always rushes out but she has never woken me up to ask to go out and has never had an accident either, touch wood.

My three pups all sleep inside.

They go out approx 9pm for last toliet breaks and drink and then go out around 730 in the morning. They will wake us up if they need to go out in the middle of the night, but that is on a rare occasion, they are more likely to wake us up cause our puppy is still at the stage where he wants to always play

Our pup is crated in our bedroom and she has slept through the night since 8 weeks. Only on one or two occasions has DH let her out at night

On weekdays we sleep 10.30 - 7ish

On weekends we tend to go to bed later but she usually goes inside her (downstairs) crate and puts herself to sleep at the usual weekday sleep time, then she sleepily climbs upstairs with us when it's our bedtime. She's pretty flexible with her waking time too. If we sleep in she'll sleep in too and doesn't make any fuss about it

Edited by jaegertheweim

after our dog had a few unfortunate explosions in the crate :confused: we relocated the crate to the back room of the house which backs directly into the yard. then we cut a small hole in the wall and a matching hole in the crate so he can go in and out as he pleases. it was the best move ever. we can now pop him to bed at any time without a toilet break and he gets up in the morning and does his wee outside whenever he wants.

Mine are crated. I take them for last wees whenever I go to bed. Usually around 10.30 on weeknights and later on weekends.

They sleep through until one of us gets up. Around 7am on weekdays and later on weekends.

They don't need toilet trips during the night. Occasionally if I am having a real sleep in I will hear them scratching to be let out in the morning, so I get up and let them out. They can last pretty late though.

My dogs are free in the house but can't get outside. I go to bed around 9:30pm and get up at 7:30am. My dogs will wake me if they need to go out in betweem those hours (whether it's for a pee, poo or a vomit). When I have pups under 6 months I will set an alarm for 2:30am for a let out until they get the hang of asking.

My dogs are free in the house but can't get outside. I go to bed around 9:30pm and get up at 7:30am. My dogs will wake me if they need to go out in betweem those hours (whether it's for a pee, poo or a vomit). When I have pups under 6 months I will set an alarm for 2:30am for a let out until they get the hang of asking.

I am about the same. No. 1 house rule = If you wake me up it had better be bloody urgent!! Generally they only do it the once :rofl:

My dogs are in the house day and night. They go to bed when I do and get up when I do, if they need to go out for an emergency they can make a noise to wake me up.

My dog is in the house when I am home outside when I am not.

I don't have a doggy door so during the day when I am home I will leave the back door open so he can do as he wishes but at night the door is shut.. I will tell him to go potty when I shut the door and we got potty before bed. The time we go to bed really depends on how tired I am. I take him potty before bed and potty when we wake up. If I am having a sleep in and he is busting then I can hear his little feet doing a dance and he puts his feet on the side of the bed to wake me up..

Edited by Sunnyflower

Riley goes out for a wee at 9.30pm then doesn't go out again until I get up - this is generally 7.15am, but can be as late as 9am on the weekends.

He sleeps next to our bed - he doesn't move until we get up

He's only ever woken us up in the night to go out a couple of times, when he's been a bit off colour.

Edited by wagsalot

Banjo comes to bed whenever we do (sometimes 8.30 sometimes midnight) and gets up whenever we do. Always before bed he goes to the bathroom and always in the morning goes to the bathroom.

Through the day he stays inside while we are at work for about 8 hours and on weekends door is always open for him.

he has never had an accident

Cool, sounds like I can go to bed a bit earlier then!

I do normally get up once a night and as the loo is outside it is fairly easy to put her out too. She was not interested in going out in the cold last night and I can't say I blamed her!

It is a bit of a novelty, having a dog that likes to sleep in as none of the others have liked it! Brock and Poppy were very huffy when I made them sleep in when Amber was little.

The cats are in the kitchen too and they think Amber is pretty good to have around. Very cute!

Mine was crated until she had an operation & had to wear a giant cone, then I felt so sorry for her that she's been granted bed privileges. :(

She goes to bed whenever I go, and gets up whenever I get up. Most nights, that's probably 8 hours, but can be up to 10 or even 12 on occasion. She copes with it just fine, and doesn't get up until I start to show signs of life (although she then gets up very, very rapidly - she's given me a bleeding nose by landing on my head more than once :rofl: ). A healthy adult dog shouldn't need bathroom trips in the middle of the night.

She has woken me up before when she needed to go out, not deliberately I don't think, just by being fidgety & walking all over me.

She's leashed to the corner of the bed, so can't run off and wreck things in the middle of the night. I don't think I'd like her loose in the house at night time. God knows what I'd wake up to.

Edited by Staranais

Mine are terrible sleepers.

They generally go out when we go to bed - anywhere from 9:30 through to 11 or so. They all sleep in the front of the house with us and we have it gated off - to make sure I hear them if they want to go out instead of them being able to sneak off to the back of the house and have an accident there. Each of them will usually get up at some stage during the night to go. Lilly has taken to waking up at about 5 and wanting breakfast (which sets the others off) - she will also sometimes wake up if her blanket comes off and she is cold :rofl:. I can put them off till about 6 or 6:30 at the latest (and they will sometimes try and get up again before that too). They used to just sleep till we got up but that has changed. They will all go back to bed after breakfast again.

Our three loo after dinner at 8 and in for as long as they can string it out in the morning , when I get up at 5 30 only Keisha comes outside with me to supervise the big animal feeding , the other 2 are happy to stay in until the school run on a week day , or until I boot them out for taking up all the lounge space on a weekend .

They sleep free in the house and are all adults , if they are in desperate need of the loo ( rare ) they knock on our door with their claws

can hold up to 14 hours but we try not to do that to them

Mine go to the loo just before we go to bed, they sleep all night. They wake up when the radio comes on at 6.30. My older one is sleeping in longer these cold mornings. They will not go to bed before us and hover around if we stay up later than normal.

Both my kiddies sleep in the ensuite. My boy used to have run of the room, but since the little princess came along both of them are put in the ensuite around 10pm and sleep until I wake at around 6am. They have their last wee break before they sleep.

Pepper is now holding on until the morning, so no more early early morning walkies for me! ;)

Mars has always been fine, he's been taught to do his business on the newspaper/wee pad but always waits.. he only uses it if he's very VERY desperate.

I get home from work about 9.30pm and she goes to the toilet and has dinner (in that order) about then. We then have a play which eventuates into a nap on the couch. I usually toilet her as I am going to bed around 11pmish. She sleeps through until about 7am. She has been known to sleep past 8am though. I take her out to the toilet and then either leave her to play and go back to bed, or migrate to the lounge room, where we both snuggle up and snooze together!

Up until now I have put her to bed in the laundry, but after reading some of your posts I think maybe I should consider putting her in our bedroom. When she wakes in the morning, I take her outside but usually she is so excited to see me, it is more about being interested in playing with me, not going to the toilet. She now runs straight to the lounge room door once I let her in, in the hope that is where we are going! So maybe I would get more sleep if she was close by... I like my sleep and I have to say the late nights and early mornings are a bit trying (pre dog I would go straight to bed as soon as I walked in the door and slept until about 8.30am). Lucky for me I don't start work until the afternoons, so I usually get a mid morning nap, as that is when she tends to go back to sleep.

How much sleep do dogs actually need in a day?