Pony 1 Border Collie 0

JulesP

I owned a mare that would attack dogs.

I've seen a horse pick a dog up in its teeth and toss it 10 metres.

My big old horse also kicked a dog clean across a yard after its owner repeatedly ignored my requests to leash it and keep it clear. He also kicked a farrier clean across a stable in his younger days but that's a whole 'nother story :thumbsup:

Edited by poodlefan

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a pony that would attack dogs if he got a chance, not just to hurt them but to kill them, agressive little so and so. He even bit off one of our ducks heads one day, walked straight up to it, put his mouth around its neck and chomped it straight off...true story.

He kicked my cattle dog and caused tremendous injuries to her spine and hips. She showed NO signs of lameness but i took her to the vet just to be sure and yep, major damage. 2years and 5K later and she still hobbles around.

Dogs are amazingly "stoic" and do not show pain. If i were you id get that dog to a vet ASAP! Put dog proof fencing around the pony's paddock and keep your dogs away from it. If you cannot have another horse to keep it company then you should not have the pony in the first place, horses are herd animals and stress when alone.

I wonder if you really care about the welfare of this dog or the pony in fact. JMO.

I owned a mare that would attack dogs.

I've seen a horse pick a dog up in its teeth and toss it 10 metres.

My big old horse also kicked a dog clean across a yard after its owner repeatedly ignored my requests to leash it and keep it clear. He also kicked a farrier clean across a stable in his younger days but that's a whole 'nother story :thumbsup:

Yikes PF! My mare sounds like your big old horse, lmao. My farrier loves my geldings but goes white in the face when i ask him to do my mare, lmao! Oh well, thats what i pay him for!

No horse & dog games allowed here, I have one pony who will run down a dog, and besides that I value my horses and my dogs too much to have any accidents. Broken legs in horses are not a nice end, and the sheer size difference between the horses and the dogs means that even an accident can end very badly.

I have seen a horse kick the top of a dogs skull clean off, not pretty.

A friend of mine had a young horse that killed her elderly chihuahua, he was very highly strung apparently and trod on her in front of the owner. This horse had been around the dogs before and the chihuahua was minding her own business when he came up and looked at the owner and then just picked up his hoof and squashed her :thumbsup::cheer::cheer: .

My horses are very good with animals, even the stallions but you can never trust them they are an animal after all and we can't predict their behaviours. My bull camel will jump up and down on his front feet trying to squash anything new in his paddock so I am always extra vigilant that no animals or people can get in without me taking precautions.

My donkeys are very territorial and they will charge the neighbours dogs when they come onto the property, donkeys are great for fox protection too

Edited by casowner

you can never trust them they are an animal after all and we can't predict their behaviours.

Dont need to tell me that, lol, my super quiet, trustworthy, reliable old gelding near on killed me on Sunday. Riding him at a canter, he busts into a gallop and started bucking like a wild bronco! LOL! Poor old me sailed thru the air and landed hard on my hip. Havent been able to walk properly since.....lol, hubbys been trying to get me to a dr all this week...unsucessfully of course!

Worse than all the horror stories of horses attacking dogs is the thought that a working dog would pester, chase, whatever a horse with a child riding it and the child could be hurt. It is imperative to correct this behaviour.

you can never trust them they are an animal after all and we can't predict their behaviours.

Dont need to tell me that, lol, my super quiet, trustworthy, reliable old gelding near on killed me on Sunday. Riding him at a canter, he busts into a gallop and started bucking like a wild bronco! LOL! Poor old me sailed thru the air and landed hard on my hip. Havent been able to walk properly since.....lol, hubbys been trying to get me to a dr all this week...unsucessfully of course!

A little OT but my darling sweet gentle male emu has decide he is a mean, lean humping machine so if anything and I mean anything (human, chicken, kangaroo etc) stands still for more than 2 seconds he is "all aboard". Whenever I get the slightest bit complacent with any of my animals and start thinking of them as anything other than what they are is when accidents happen, my OH thinks I am paranoid when it comes to them - I prefer to call it responsible :thumbsup:

OMG this is getting ridiculous!

I suppose if a child rode its pony in MY GARDEN it might get ugly.

The dogs can't get in the pony paddock. I was in a different paddock from the pony with the dogs (the dogs never go in the same paddock as the pony). I saw a tree down, squashing a fence in the pony's paddock and bolted to lock pony in the yard. I should have put the dogs back in the garden but the pony was eating in the stable at the time. He galloped out of the stable, through a yard to get to us. Highly unusual for him to leave his food.

The dogs didn't chase him. They ran in and dropped to the ground in herd position. Unfortunately he was up in the air at the time. He came down, tried to avoid Poppy but just got her. I told them to get out and they did.

Whilst out walking they do not chase horses.

Pony is currently alone as his companion just got put down so thanks for those don't keep pony alone comments.

For anyone that actually cares Poppy is fully weight bearing today.

Don't post if you don't want people's opinions, is my advice. Or rather, state up front that you only want those who agree with you to post. That way, the majority needn't bother.

Edited by Troy

The dogs can't get in the pony paddock. I was in a different paddock from the pony with the dogs (the dogs never go in the same paddock as the pony). I saw a tree down, squashing a fence in the pony's paddock and bolted to lock pony in the yard. I should have put the dogs back in the garden but the pony was eating in the stable at the time. He galloped out of the stable, through a yard to get to us. Highly unusual for him to leave his food.

The dogs didn't chase him. They ran in and dropped to the ground in herd position. Unfortunately he was up in the air at the time. He came down, tried to avoid Poppy but just got her. I told them to get out and they did.

Pony is currently alone as his companion just got put down so thanks for those don't keep pony alone comments.

Hey ease up! Im sorry about your pony that was PTS, I didnt know. If you already stated it im sorry, I mustve missed it.

Im of the strong belief that horses should never be kept alone, ever. You need to get it a friend asap. You can always get a rescue horse for next to nothing, they are really cheap and can be lovely paddock companions. Or save one from the doggers, thats also a nice idea. Sorry to have upset you.

But I still stick to my earlier statement, if you had the pony's best interest at heart you wouldve already given it a friend to keep it company, horses are not dogs and cannot be left alone.

Your dog also needs to see a vet asap. As others and myself have already said, she may be injured, even if she is weight bearing now it does not make a difference. My gelding walked around on all four legs and had two breaks to his metacarpal bone in his nearside hind leg.....he did not show any signs of lameness, the only way I knew he had a broken leg was the fact that there was blood pouring out of it and we could see bone.

Get your dog looked at.

Edited by Troy

When you post a question, you'll get answers. Not everyone is going to agree with you and yes some people will jump to conclusions based on the limited information in your posts.

If someone has stated something that is incorrect, then simply correct them with more information.

Being rude and swearing about it is just silly.

The dogs are reacting to the pony as if it were an animal they should herd. Not on.

Fine, dismiss my comments. I suppose that the experience and comments of someone who has earnt a living working and training dogs and horses on cattle properties that are over 200000 acres are probably irrelevant to a weekend warrior working dog person. Sorry. Of course it is unnecessary to teach your dogs to behave properly if they are either always on a lead or locked in your garden.

As for bolting around your horses paddock, someone of your obvious intelligence and superior experience should have known better. No wonder your pony left her food, with you galloping around like a loon.

Sounds like you are feeding him too much. Perhaps you should look into that.

I prefer to keep my pony by himself as he is a valuable show pony and I dislike him playing with other horses. It is a worry with all the rugs he wears. I wouldn't want a hood being pulled over his eyes. I do put boots on him but still I worry. He is only out in the paddocks for a little while as he is usually in the stable.

Poppy is still quite lame but as I paid a heap of money for the clinic I will just give her an aspirin on the day and she should be right.

:laugh: pretty poor joke - there are a lot of sincere, caring and knowledable people here who don't deserve the p*ss taken.

fifi