Pony 1 Border Collie 0

JulesP

Oh wow. So you've had a dog with a broken leg before. Ever realised that there is more than ONE type of break? And 99.99% of the time Dog A with a broken leg will have a different break to Dog B with a broken leg. And unless you have x-ray vision, you cannot tell what kind of damage has occurred. Or what the long term consequences of working a injured animal could be.

I know a friend of mine who broke her leg and walked on it for two weeks with not much pain before seeing a doctor who discovered a spiral fracture. She had a cast for almost 6 months.

Why do you need to take this particular dog? It sounds as if you more than one dog. Take another dog then or go without a dog. You'll still learn a heap.

The fact you seem to be intent on getting your dog to this clinic no matter what and disregarding the majority of people's advice of taking the dog to the vet because you don't want the vet thinking you are an idiot, it does make me wonder how concerned you really are for your dogs long term health and well being.

Edited by Ravyk

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just confused why you would be worried about the vet thinking you are an idiot? I once took my dog into the vet because she had been limping on and off during the afternoon ( resulting in bed rest). I got her to the vet and a quick check showed that she had a grass seed under her rear paw pad :rofl:

Sure it cost me $50 for a check up to reveal that nothing major was wrong, ..but the peace of mind was priceless :rofl: . When it comes to my dog and her health..I would prefer to be viewed as an idiot for worrying then not worrying enough.

I am just confused why you would be worried about the vet thinking you are an idiot? I once took my dog into the vet because she had been limping on and off during the afternoon ( resulting in bed rest). I got her to the vet and a quick check showed that she had a grass seed under her rear paw pad :rofl:

Sure it cost me $50 for a check up to reveal that nothing major was wrong, ..but the peace of mind was priceless :eek: . When it comes to my dog and her health..I would prefer to be viewed as an idiot for worrying then not worrying enough.

Mine only have to cough or hold their head to the side for a second and we're down there :rofl:

Sure it cost me $50 for a check up to reveal that nothing major was wrong, ..but the peace of mind was priceless :eek: . When it comes to my dog and her health..I would prefer to be viewed as an idiot for worrying then not worrying enough.

Mine only have to cough or hold their head to the side for a second and we're down there :rofl:

Lol..I am lucky--Brennan's breeder only lives 5 minute drive away...all I can say is she has been great-- especially when Brennan got a contact rash at 12 weeks old ( which I discovered at 7pm ( and yes I spent most of the night on the phone to my mum, the emergency vets, the breeder and a friend)

I dunno about the rest of you but I've been trodden on by a horse - who was just moving from one foot to the other, not jumping around like a spring chicken. And it BLOODY HURT and there were MANY SWEAR WORDS. And I was wearing boots. Not steel capped but more protected than your average bit of dog.

There is a lot of mass in a horse, so even slow moving, will deliver a lot of energy to an impact. The chance of that dog having a bad crush injury of some sort are pretty high. Although if you can inspect the general area with a firm squeeze with the dog co-operating, I'd be less concerned. Not as good as an xray but a start.

My dog got bitten on the paw by a rottweiler who was "only playing". My dog limped for the next fifteen minutes, but eventually put her paw down and was fine, full weight bearing, no further sign of being chomped. Including still wanting to greet that particular rottweiler. I'm pretty sure she still mistakes it for a puppyhood friend.

If my dog was still limping DAYS later - I'd be off to the vet. And based on my own personal injury time, I wouldn't be herding unless it was the hockey grand final (last game of season, plenty of time to recover later) and my team would be short without me. And even then I'd be trying to get out of it on the basis I'd just aggravate the injury and not help the team.

If your vet charges so much you'd be reluctant to visit, maybe consider a different vet. Or you could ring the vet up and discuss with him/her, but I bet I know what the answer would be and I'd put money on nothing like "you're an idiot" unless it was "you're an idiot, why didn't you bring the dog sooner?"

I had horses too and mine always seemed to injure themselves right before any big comp! Buggers.

I won't go on about the vet as only you know your dog well enough to decide needed or not. And now I better go check another thread where I admitted once my small kelpie x was limping on 3 legs for days. I wasn't worried walking him as he was pain free and could put weight on it - he just wouldn't stay on it. I don't remember if he went to the vet just that he was pretty pathetic looking. Normally I go to the vet for anything, I don't care if he thinks I am a idiot. ( he doesn't cause he knows I dote on my dogs)

But I would forget the clinic if he is sore enough. Don't let it could cloud your decision making. Any chance another dog could go otherwise just audit. If you think that your dog will be better later in week, wait and get a vet's assurance it is nothing.

And also I wouldn't crate the dog (fulltime?)just to go to a clinic. If it is that bad I wouldn't be thinking of it. I wouldn't crate except to avoid the dog running round crazy. Limit his action maybe.

Hope your dog is better soon.

I wasn't worried walking him as he was pain free and could put weight on it - he just wouldn't stay on it.

Not having a go but... Why do people assume the dog has no pain when its limping? If there was no pain then they'd be walking normally... I'd get the vet to check out for peace of mind... going to a herding clinic after a trauma and you risk aggravating the injury and possibly permanent damage.

Sometimes i think people forget that dogs are animals and instead, put human logic on to the dog. Most animals don't like to show pain. Obviously not all, but many. Dogs can't speak to us so we really have no way to gauge how much pain they're really in, but IMO, we have a duty of care to provide for them. They can't get themselves treatment so we need to do it for them. We know if we've just pulled a muscle and not to go a Dr, because we know the pain and what it means. We have no real means to gauge the same thing for out pets.

People might argue that vets will only want to put them on NSAIDS or what have you, but as owners, you are within your rights to decline such treatment or ask for something else. But I think we should at least do our pets the decency to get pain/illness etc looked into when necessary.

I get that people know their animals and I'm not suggesting people should rush in at the drop of a hat, but when its an unknown, surely we owe them an opportunity to make sure it is in fact nothing serious.

Our dogs give us everything, every day. Constant companionship, loyalty, happiness etc. I just think the least we can do is help them out when they're hurting.

I dunno about the rest of you but I've been trodden on by a horse - who was just moving from one foot to the other, not jumping around like a spring chicken. And it BLOODY HURT and there were MANY SWEAR WORDS. And I was wearing boots. Not steel capped but more protected than your average bit of dog.

Yep. And that ws the day I found I could free lunge her around the yard. :eek:

I too have been known to take my dog to the vet with very embarrassing results. But you know, I'd do it again in the blink of an eye. We all (including the vet) just had a good laugh, came home relieved and moved on.

Cordelia, my Lab had been walking around (and running actually) on her leg that had been quietly developing cancer in both the bone and muscle. Being the way she is, she showed no signs that she was in pain except some slight slowing up generally.. which I expected as she is 13yrs old.

It wasn't until Easter Sunday when she turned to chase a ball at the dog park and we heard a snap and down she went... screaming.

Xrays revealed a horrendous break

05042010231.jpg

24hrs later, she was walking as best she could despite the fact that she had a massive cast on from toe to hip...

if a dog is not bearing weight.. it is hurting!

I wasn't worried walking him as he was pain free and could put weight on it - he just wouldn't stay on it.

Not having a go but... Why do people assume the dog has no pain when its limping? If there was no pain then they'd be walking normally... I'd get the vet to check out for peace of mind... going to a herding clinic after a trauma and you risk aggravating the injury and possibly permanent damage.

I would wonder why the dog was limping on it if it were pain free.

yeah go at least for a quick check up.

found out my Malinois had a dislocated tail. SHowed no signs until suddenly last week scuttled about and yelped. She showed no other signs either the tough old cow. SHe's broken a rib once too at training, got kneed hard and all she did was hold her leg up for a little, no yelping etc. It mended itself and we never knew, she has a funny bit you can feel now but no harm done otherwise.

The.dog.doesn't.need.to.be.rushed.to.the vets.

If I wasn't concerned about the dogs physical well being why would I be asking?

At the risk of being accused of being dramatic, I have no idea why you're asking anything since you seem to have made up your mind before posting.

Me, if it were my dog kicked by a much larger and heavier pony, not weight bearing, I'd be taking the dog to the vet to be checked out. But then, I am dramatic when it comes to my dogs' health. :eek:

I have a working dog background.

I would fence sit for the weekend. You won't get the best out of either of you with this hanging over your head. You can still learn alot fence sitting. If she is young, though, take her along for the outing, but don't let her herd. I've seen working dogs work until their body gives way. They have alot of heart.

Re the vet. You probably know. Swelling, disfigurement, strong pain when touched, fever etc - immediately to the vet. Otherwise, give it a couple of days and first aid to reduce minor swelling, some containment and go to the vet if it is not much better.

Vets I think love it when you take your animal in - that's how they earn a living.

Re the chasing the horse (or even LOOKING at it twice). This is not on. At all. Get some advice at the clinic about stopping this behaviour. I've seen working dogs shot for this. Personally, the dog should be on lead near the horse, correct her everytime she reacts to the horse like it is an animal to be herded. You need to turn her instinct off with regards horses, poultry, children and bikes.

I would fence sit for the weekend. You won't get the best out of either of you with this hanging over your head. You can still learn alot fence sitting. If she is young, though, take her along for the outing, but don't let her herd. I've seen working dogs work until their body gives way. They have alot of heart.

Re the vet. You probably know. Swelling, disfigurement, strong pain when touched, fever etc - immediately to the vet. Otherwise, give it a couple of days and first aid to reduce minor swelling, some containment and go to the vet if it is not much better.

Vets I think love it when you take your animal in - that's how they earn a living.

Re the chasing the horse (or even LOOKING at it twice). This is not on. At all. Get some advice at the clinic about stopping this behaviour. I've seen working dogs shot for this. Personally, the dog should be on lead near the horse, correct her everytime she reacts to the horse like it is an animal to be herded. You need to turn her instinct off with regards horses, poultry, children and bikes.

My sentiments exactly.

I've been around horses all my life & know that a lot of that behaviour will not be tolerated by a horse/pony. This dog needs to learn boundaries when it comes to herding. Otherwise it is likely this won't be the last accident.

My sentiments exactly.

I've been around horses all my life & know that a lot of that behaviour will not be tolerated by a horse/pony. This dog needs to learn boundaries when it comes to herding. Otherwise it is likely this won't be the last accident.

Agree with these posters, the dogs need to be prevented from chasing the pony. A horse can do a LOT of damage to a dog, I have seen a pony come down on a dog and smash the dogs leg, bone shattered, dog needed major surgery to pin and plate the leg back together, with 6 weeks of being crated afterwards. The dog will always walk with a limp. The vet fees cost over $3000 all up.

BTW, almost immediately after the pony landed on the dog, he was trying to get up and walk and had to be restrained, so yes they will get up and walk around even if there is major damage.

Edited by Daisy

I know someone who has a horse that hates dogs, and not only will kick them but KILL them :thumbsup: so they can certainly do a lot of damage!

errr yep.

I witnessed my horse bolt for a dog that entered his paddock pick it up in his moth and toss it metres away - when it landed he went for it again.

incidentally the dobermanns he was brought up with were treated to gentle nuzzling :laugh:

my horse got a fright from a gunshot once and landed on my foot and fractured it in two places.

If it was me, the dog would have had a vet visit and it wouldn't be going to herding unless the Vet pronounced it fit to do so :laugh: