Pony 1 Border Collie 0

JulesP

My dogs and pony are being rather annoying at the moment. The pony is lonely and is hanging out at the fence with the dogs. Pony wants to be friends, think dogs want to herd pony. Either way the 2 species don't play the same way!

Yesterday dogs ended up in paddock with pony., when I went to lock pony in his yard due to a squashed fence. Pony left his food (very unusual) to come and see what I was doing. I shooed pony off which resulted in him going nuts (think spring is here!), which resulted in 2 borders rushing in 2 help. Pony was in the air at the time and came down on Poppy. He did look like he tried to avoid her. She is now not quite weight bearing on a back leg. She is walking with a limp but is holding it up to run. Probably just bruising I think.

Issue is I have a 2 day herding clinic on the weekend. What would you do? Stick dog in crate for rest of week and hope it heals. Pull out of clinic. She is not going to let an ouchy stop her from running flat out on sheep btw, which might not be good.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Straight after the incident the dog was fine. I didn't even realise the pony had got the dog until I saw the mud on her. Last night she looked a bit sore. Note the 'bit sore'. If I took her to my vet, she would think I was an idiot. So lets stop the drama, shall we.

So I have a 'bit sore' dog. Herding is pretty full on exercise however. I would take her to obedience in her current state but not agility.

Is that clearer?

No I want to know if people think I should make her run around at a clinic. Forced exercise is different from what she feels she can do.

Then IMO, no, she shouldn't be made to run around in a clinic, because you have no idea what damage may, or may not, have been done to the leg.

Just because a dog 'feels it should do something', doesn't mean it should. We fractured a broken leg on a 16month old puppy last week. Whilst broken, there were times it wanted to move around. The day after the repair, with pins through it's bones, it wanted to run around and play with the other dogs. But it shouldn't, because it will risk proper healing.

I've also seen a dog with a dislocated hip run around. It just didn't bear weight on the leg properly.

eta: you're OP said she isn't quite weight bearing and that she's holding it up to run. So that's why people have been 'dramatic'. I don't think any vet would think you were an idiot for bringing in a dog that wasn't bearing weight on a leg.

Edited by stormie

Dog running on three legs = vet visit. If she'd been taking weight on it, I might have suggested just crate rest but not for a dog carrying a leg.

That should be a no brainer. Tendon or ligament damage is a distinct possiblity. I'd certainly not be allowiing her to tear around with the others. Border Collies would run on stumps if you let them.

Edited by poodlefan

If I took her to my vet, she would think I was an idiot. So lets stop the drama, shall we.

I see no drama. ;)

The dog should be checked out by a vet. Dogs are very good at hiding their pain. You have no idea what could be wrong with your dogs leg. It could be nothing, but it could be a lot worse, like a spiral or hairline fractures, torn ligaments, damaged tendons, etc.

I have taken dogs to the vets for really small things, like having a wedged bone removed from the dog's teeth which I couldn't pull off and I have NEVER been made to feel like an idiot. Honestly, to have your mind at ease that your dog is ok should be more than enough to get over thinking that your vet thinks your an idiot. It's their job to look after animals and honestly I don't think a vet would think someone was an idiot if they bought their dog in and said 'my dog got stepped on by a horse and is now limping/not putting weight on the leg, can you please have a look at it?'

No I don't think she should be made to run at the clinic. It's just asking for trouble.

I would not enter her. Her potential long term soundness would be far more important to me than a two day training clinic.

I would also take her to the vet, but I may just be a drama queen??.....................

Straight after the incident the dog was fine. I didn't even realise the pony had got the dog until I saw the mud on her. Last night she looked a bit sore. Note the 'bit sore'. If I took her to my vet, she would think I was an idiot. So lets stop the drama, shall we.

So I have a 'bit sore' dog. Herding is pretty full on exercise however. I would take her to obedience in her current state but not agility.

Is that clearer?

Much clearer.. you completely changed the story...

Yesterday dogs ended up in paddock with pony., when I went to lock pony in his yard due to a squashed fence. Pony left his food (very unusual) to come and see what I was doing. I shooed pony off which resulted in him going nuts (think spring is here!), which resulted in 2 borders rushing in 2 help. Pony was in the air at the time and came down on Poppy. He did look like he tried to avoid her. She is now not quite weight bearing on a back leg. She is walking with a limp but is holding it up to run. Probably just bruising I think.

1. Implying that you did in fact see the pony get the dog...

and 2. non weight bearing on the leg and walking with a limp.. not 'just a bit sore as you now say.

No drama.. you're the one who was seeking advice about taking her to herding or crating her for a week....

Edited by Cordelia

Just for an added perspective, I once asked my vet if I was her most annoying pet-owner client and she said "absolutely not, you're one of our favourites, because you bring your dog in at the just-in-case time not at the oh-dear-this-should-have-been-sorted-weeks-ago time". JulesP I am in NO WAY suggesting that you are one of the latter but maybe your vet has a higher opinion of overcautious-ness than you think? ;)

Just for an added perspective, I once asked my vet if I was her most annoying pet-owner client and she said "absolutely not, you're one of our favourites, because you bring your dog in at the just-in-case time not at the oh-dear-this-should-have-been-sorted-weeks-ago time". JulesP I am in NO WAY suggesting that you are one of the latter but maybe your vet has a higher opinion of overcautious-ness than you think? :laugh:

and I've been also suggested by a vet that I am a neurotic owner because I took my dogs in, this is the vet that failed to note that my dog was beginning to have renal failure and did nothing until it was too late ;) :laugh: ;) This is my opinion only but I think that rural vets tend to be a bit more "she'll be right stop disturbing us" than city vets. and I think from memory, well with border collies and ponies that Jules P may live rural. I'm lucky in a way that I'm friends with my current vet and I will just ring her and ask her opinion about stuff and her normal answer "leave it for a day or two and see what happens".

So Jules P you know your dog, I would suggest she what happens for a day or two if she is not in any pain now take her to the vet tomorrow if she doesn't feel/look better and I would make the judgment on Thursday about the herding clinic :D and maybe get a rescue pony for company :)