Rare Breeds Spotting.........

Debyork2

Mindy had a really good play with a portugese water dog the other day as well. It looked exactly like a lot of labradoodle type dogs and I embarrased myself by asking whether it was a poodle cross :laugh:

lol its not just strangers that get breeds wrong

i had a lady book a labradoodle in for grooming once

you can imagine my surprise when she walked in the door and following along behind her was a Murry river curly coated reviver

she insisted she paid good money for her labradoodle

if you ask me she got a better deal with the MRCCR

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only two people in this country have so far identified my mally correctly. :heart: However, I've had lots of people ask what my German Shepherd is crossed with!

Haha, when i was doing some lab work, there were 2 vet pathologists there as well describing a case- neither knew what a "belgian malinois" was- i had to explain lol! I felt like such a dog nerd :laugh:

Oh yeah I forgot that I get to see a Chessie on a regular basis!!

Plus some of the other rarer gundog breeds i get to see at shows... large munsterlander, Irish red and white setter, lagotto, wire haired vizsla... to name a few.

I still haven't met the Xolos yet!

we are really lucky in QLD :heart::laugh: Lots of wires :D :):) (vizslas) they are a wonderful breed with great temperaments and stunning to look at. Pretty sure that will be my next baby if I'm allowed any more! I get lots and lots of cuddles :)

I've got two Lagoottos that live near me, one of them next door. :heart:

We have a couple of Novia Scotias as clients...they love it when you get the breed right.

Saw a German Pinscher on a road trip to Vic...they were stunned when I knew what their dog was.

Just saw a Welsh Terrier this morning, I forgot how cool they are.

Annnnd.....a PUREBRED Shih Tzu....rare as hens teeth...(well, sort of)

Oh...Forgot about the Skye Terrier.

Edited by Dory the Doted One

a guy walked past with 2 griffions and nearly fell over when i said what they where.

I know how that bloke felt. It's a bit of a shock whenever someone recognises my tibbies as Tibetan Spaniels. Hardly ever happens & when it does it's usually from someone who's got a relative that owns one or it's someone from the dog show world.

Most people guess they're a bit like a Pekingese. But when you put a Peke beside a Tibbie, they're quite different.

My tib girls are golden (Nina Zena is a platinum blonde & Annie's a strawberry blonde)....so women more often comment on their hair colour than their breed. With remarks like 'Who's their hairdresser?' Interestingly, men like Nina Zena because they say she looks like someone shrunk a Golden Retriever.

In our neighbourhood we have a Bedlington Terrier, a Griffon, an Akita, some Shiba Inus and a Curly Coated Retriever.

I work with a guy who owns a Wirehaired Vizla and a lady who owns a Bernese Mountain Dog.

I have also met a couple of stunning Finnish Lapphunds and a spunky little Swedish Vallhund. :( (thanks Corvus and TerraNik :)).

I have to admit this- I met a gorgeous Flat coat retriever recently and to my shame I asked if it was a GR cross. :laugh:

I did wonder if it was a FC before I asked, but to be honest I had never met on before, and the owner didnt seem to dog savvy, so I thought it more likely she was a cross. :laugh:

Understandably they were a little miffed. :mad

Even so, I was excited that I had met one and was thrilled that it looked so much like my GR but had black fur! :(

Really some crossbreeds could be mistaken for a purebreed. As another example, I think I saw a Tibetan Spaniel the other day, but I could be wrong and it could be a peke cross.

I have seen and correctly identified a Malinois at my obedience club- I would have thought they are pretty easy to pick if you know about the breed.

Edited by ✽deelee

Only two people in this country have so far identified my mally correctly. :laugh: However, I've had lots of people ask what my German Shepherd is crossed with!

Haha, when i was doing some lab work, there were 2 vet pathologists there as well describing a case- neither knew what a "belgian malinois" was- i had to explain lol! I felt like such a dog nerd :laugh:

When I was volunteering at RSPCA a dog came in that the admissions people and vet had decided was a "husky x corgi", I let them know that it was a Swedish Vallhund and maybe to contact some breeders may get it back to its owners.

I find it a bit of a shame when people ask what my Aussie Terriers are!!!!!!!!!!!

If I didn't have a dog park 2 streets away, you'd swear there weren't any dogs in my entire suburb. I think I have seen about 4 in the year and a half we have been living here. All very standard breeds too :laugh:

I have seen 2 czechoslovakian wolf dogs, Black Russian terrriers, Patterdale terriers, Podengo's and recently a Boerboel.

Also some kind of tiny dog-smaller than chihuahuas from Russia I think. Will try and remember the name.

Mindy had a really good play with a portugese water dog the other day as well. It looked exactly like a lot of labradoodle type dogs and I embarrased myself by asking whether it was a poodle cross :thumbsup:

:laugh: Finn (poodle x) has been mistaken for a PWD before! :eek: It is quite flattering when it's that way around!

Corvus,

yes in Sydney. They look so much like wolves and are quite big.

Also seen

Coton de Tulear,

Dutch Shepherd

Miniature Aussie Shepherd,

Thai Ridgebacks (not very friendly and a bit ugly)

Pražský Krysařík These are the ones that are tiny like a small chihuahua.

Shikoku

All of these were seen in Australia

Edited by dasha

Miniature Aussie Shepherd is not a breed, its a designer dog like an oodle.

I get to see a fair few rare breeds at work - we had Basenji pups in the other day, one of the vets brings her Ibizian Hound and Pharoah Hound to work every day and I have also met some GORGEOUS Dandies. :laugh: Trying to think of others... American Cockers (not rare I guess but certainly not common), Leonberger, um...

Well they are listed on the world breed list as a breed in USA. But other designer breeds are not. Anyway I have seen 2. They looked a bit snipey nosed though like they had pomeranian in them or something to get the size. Cute but didn't look like a small version of the real thing.