I Think My Dog Is About To Explode

HugUrPup

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He could barely breath he was so tight the poor thing.

They got out around 6 cups full of kibble and he looks normal again :(

They said he would have been in huge trouble if I didn't bring him in, so I m glad I phoned.

They also said, water would have torn his stomach, so it's good I didn't give it.

$95 later and I have a happy healthy dog again.

Thanks everyone for you help and advice :confused:

how do I make him vomit?

Mustard, hydrogen peroxide, salt and washing soda are all suggested (no not all together :confused: ) I wouldn't be using salt on a small dog or an older one. Maybe google the proportions and recommendations so next time you'll be able to save yourself $95 :(

Glad he's OK!

They tried some crystal stuff and it didn't work so they ended up giving him epimorphine by injection.

That might have been Lectric which is what I always recommend and I have it in my bathroom cabinet for just this situation. I wonder if it didn't work because he was just so full of dry food it couldn't disolve and do it's thing. Probably just all squished up with the dry food.

I will not attempt to induce vomiting ever again in a dog if I can avoid it- when I lost my Kieran - he had eaten Mbites. I phoned the vet who advised to make him vomit.. I tried , and I still think that's what made him torsion ..probably not, but that's how it seems:(

I will also never again feed that type of dry if it can be avoided

Glad your pigpug was cleaned out under vet supervision :( You will ALL feel much better now :confused:

I have 5 dogs and 2 are constantly hungry little cocker spaniels that will eat anything-anyway my hubby ledft the pantry door open last week and we ame home to find my 5 pound (2.5) of hershey kisses all but gone-maybe a kilo was left when we caught the 6 year old cocker in the act!! He was bloated and couldnt hardly move-on top of that if you dont know what hershey kisses are they are chocolate-good chocolate-so we rang the vet ready to rush him down to energency but the vet said he wouldnt worry about it, anyway another 4 phone calls later we decided he would be alright for the nite-so the next 2 days he was doing chocolate squishy poo's!! You could tell he wasnt feeling well, but it was also obvious he wouldnt let anyone near the food pantry so no one else must have got to the food either...he is sitting on my lap now and fine-only thing is-and please dont judge me-or maybe judge me-your choice-my hubby left his office door open yesterday and we had a baby rabbit in it that wasnt eating to her full potential so we bought her in to feed her up to put weight on (pet rabbit) and my english pointer got in there and killed her-only thing is my cocker spaniel ate the rabbit!! And once again was bloated and full and slept the rest of the day and nite!! He is 6 years old with dilated cardiomyopathy so we really have to be careful with him-which we have failed with in the past 2 weeks-but i think it really depends on the age of the dog and health as well. Anyway that's just my input...i have made my other dogs-english pointers that are aged 11 throw up panadols that they got into when they were little with salt and water down their throats but vets now think that is not the right rite mix to use and advise soap crystals now-whatever they are??? O and my cockers are not fat, one is 12 kilo's and one is a tiny 10 kilo-he has a small frame just FYI.

My understanding is that inducing vomiting when something has a very full stomach can be potentially dangerous. There's a pretty strong force going on during the vomiting action, so forcing such a large volume out of something with a small opening can cause tearing/rupturing etc.

It happens in bulimic people who binge and then try to purge.

Glad to hear he's ok though.

My dog has stuffed himself on several occasions now. Latest effort was the vast majority of an 8kg bag of dry cat food... That time he vomitted in the car on the way to the vet, prior to that he just shuffles around like a barrel for a few days and then he is fine.

My Evil Hound (EH) ate another peg this morning, and I'd just fixed her up after the last one (and trip to vet on monday). I was that mad at her, I made a mix of salty water - maybe two teaspoons of salt and 3/4 cup warm water. And I tipped some of that (maybe 1/4) down her throat - it went everywhere but she got enough to start vomitting. And then I found the bits of peg she'd bitten off but not actually swallowed at all. But she did last time. And it was spikey and uncomfortable and went all the way through and there was the foulest explosion in my office as a result.

So anyway, she vomited - at both ends - hmm normal turds - just not when she'd planned to pass them, so that was good - sort of. And she vomited some more, and she coughed a lot. And vomitted some more. And eventually I got some fresh water and sort of washed her mouth with that without tipping it down her throat. A couple of times. And eventually 30 mins or so later she stopped vomitting - phew. So I think I over did it. And she coughed a lot but that stopped when I gave her some lemon and ginger tea with some honey in it - maybe two tablespoons. Phew phew.

Next time I think I will pour the salty water in slower eg a teaspoon at a time and wait to see. She's got a fairly sensitive stomach anyway - she will up chuck with one washing soda crystal (thanks to the vet) or the morphine with antidote (expensive). We've made quite a few trips to the vet to deal with this kind of problem.

Never had the problem of her overeating kibble though. Then again she doesn't generally get the opportunity.

I'm thinking if I can make her feel ill at the sight of a peg - that would be a good thing.