Crate Games

Crate Games DVD  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Have you done Crate Games with your dog?

• Yes, I have finished the whole DVD
    • Yes, I have done parts
    • Well I started doing it
    • I have watched it but I haven't done the games
    • I should get around to watching it
    • Whats crate games?
    • Why would I bother?

Pretty self explanatory. I know so many people that have this DVD but the amount I know that have done the games in thier entirerty? Well none. :laugh:

I just dug it out and I am like Yeah I should so watch this and do it! but I normally watch it, plan to do it but never get around to that first session.

I was in a similar position - I had it sitting there unwatched for AGES! But I decided to get it out a few months ago and did all the exercises with Jedi and Soaks. I can now let Jedi go from the other side of a park and he'll race over and zip into his crate. It's pretty impressive to watch!

I must say, I am very slack about the whole sitting as soon as I touch the door though. I don't care what position they're in when the door opens just as long as they wait.

Another here, who has only done parts.

My girl was not crate trained as a pup, but I used crate games to introduce it to her and it worked really well.

We do the collar game - driving in and out and I also always have her reorientating to me on exit (I believe this was a Control Unleashed exercise, but it may have also been in Crate Games - my memory is pretty vague).

We still play, but no, we haven't done the whole lot. *Digs around overloaded bookshelf to find her crate games dvd*

Edit - Am I the only one that has to watch a training DVD multiple times to get a general understanding and also take notes? I'm sure I have notes about Crate Games somewhere around...

Edited by Emm

Done most of it with Darcy and all of it with Zee. Zee's crate metal crate is set up in the kitchen 24/7 and I often use it for Zee (door open) while training Darcy.

I've transferred a lot of it over to the back of the car and I can leave both dogs in the back of the wagon unrestrained and know they won't leave it until they are released. I can train Zee and leave Darcy in the car, we're getting better with leaving Zee in the car while I train Darcy. Agility at our usual training spots is doable but at club training or a trial is way too much excitement and I have to drop the tailgate. But she's getting there. :laugh:

Edit - Am I the only one that has to watch a training DVD multiple times to get a general understanding and also take notes? I'm sure I have notes about Crate Games somewhere around...

No way - I've watched most of them several times and I have an A4 book which has all my notes from training DVDs I've watched. I've also printed out all the pdfs from DVDs such as Greg Derrett and Susan Salo and have them in display books with more notes scribbled on them.

Nothing worse than taking the time to set something up at the showgrounds and realising that you've forgotten stuff or worse have been doing it wrong....

I started... :laugh:

But my girls are pretty good with the crate anyway, and with the very little work I have done with Millie, she's starting to understand the concept and is being a good girl about going in her crate, staying quiet in it (huge one for me!) and waiting for her release cue to come out after I've opened the door.

I'm with TerraNik, don't care what position my dogs are in, as long as they wait before coming out. But it just so happens that mine sit anyway, and I pull on their leads to ensure they stay put in learning stages, then release.

Also... I own many obedience/agility DVD's but haven't watched many of them, all with good intentions to do so though! Another one I watched and didn't go through with was Really Reliable Recall. I even took notes on that one so I could refer to them without the DVD, but never got round to it :laugh: Bad mummy!!

Edited by RubyStar

What are crate games? Are they just designed to get your dog to go happily into its crate, and stay there quietly?

Basically yes, and it's meant to encourage your dog to drive into it too, so it helps for things like agility where you want speed. At least that was my interpretation when I watched the first half of the DVD :o

Yes thanks, I know it's a DVD. I was just hoping someone could explain exactly what it is about, who it's aimed towards & what methods it uses. I will never again buy a dog DVD or book purely on the information available on google, after some rather disappointing experiences where I ended up getting something rather different to what I thought I was getting! :o

ETA, thanks Rubystar, I think we crossposted.

Edited by Staranais

Yes thanks, I know it's a DVD. I was just hoping someone could explain exactly what it is about, who it's aimed towards & what methods it uses. I will never again buy a dog DVD or book purely on the information available on google, after some rather disappointing experiences where I ended up getting something rather different to what I thought I was getting! :(

ETA, thanks Rubystar, I think we crossposted.

The intro of the dvd is on you tube. Also there are some videos of people training their own dogs in the program.

What are crate games? Are they just designed to get your dog to go happily into its crate, and stay there quietly?

Yes, Crate Games is designed for the above, it was actually why I first bought it.

But it is also about motivation and self control. I found it helped build up my working relationship with Abby and it helped me overcome my tendency to be really dull sometimes. :laugh: This is from the perspective of a very inexperienced and occasionally self-conscious trainer, btw. It is hard to explain when I haven't actually watched it in a while. But the bits we did adopt, I still do to today. If I remember correctly, some of the more advanced exercises are more for agility applications ie. building drive to/over an obstacle. It really does build reliability in the crate, too.

Let me know if you'd like to borrow my copy. I have found it, but I'm still working on finding those damn notes, lol.

I would really like to do Crate games :laugh: Has anyone got a copy that they wouldn't mind burning for me or even to sell or even if they know anyone who wants to sell a copy ..

PM me please if you do I'd be greatful to anyone and happy to pay a reasonable price the full price aint in my budget atm :laugh:

I am interested in this as Lewis is a bloody poof when his is in the crate by himself, yells and carries on while I am training Rommi.

Maybe this would help him learn to shut up so I don't hear him complaining on the other side of the oval during our stays????