Dentition

Miss B

Does your breed standard require full dentition? Do judges count teeth in your breed?

If not, I would still say show. If they need to check for a scissor or level bite, they will still be able to determine that on the side of the dog's mouth with full dentition.

I would get a letter from the vet explaining that the tooth was knocked out by an accident. if you are ever asked you can present it.

standard does state perfect, regular and complete scissor bite.

I know of a bitch I judged whom the owner had absolutely no idea the dog only had 5 lower incisors instead of the standard required 6.

What part of "do you not look in your dogs mouth"????? came into my mind

Grover had perfect puppy teeth but one of his adult teeth just never came through. It was incredibly obvious by 7 months of age - I can't imagine someone wouldn't notice that their bitch was missing a tooth. Needless to say he is now sans testicles and living life as OH's much loved, yet stupid, pet :D

I know that at shows recently the judges that i have shown under have made an effort to check teeth carefully - i was under the impression from what a couple said that they have been asked to ensure they are checking for full and correct dentition

Just curious... what do you do if your show dog knocks a tooth out by accident? Can you still show them? I'm talking about adult teeth too, not puppy ones! Specifically an upper incisor.

Get a letter and have it with you. Some will accept it some wont. Some judges wont even say anything about the missing tooth.

I had an afghan that had a tooth missing if the judge checked his bite and didnt mention the missing tooth I would mention it and the letter.

But I have to say: Oh shit who and how??

Years ago I had a Kerry who broke a tooth (no 1 pre-molar) on a chain link fence and I had my vet who needed to remove the rest of the tooth write a note on the back of his business card and I kept that in my number pouch for the rest of the time he was shown. (quite a number of years)

I never once was asked why he was missing a tooth, but I was ready.

Sounds good in theory. In reality, who is going to pull out a letter present it to the judge in the ring to read and then go on to win?

(firstly you are presuming the judge will comment - and not just make their own assessment without comment)

sounds tricky to me.

I have often wondered this too... and you know how often people have that semi-recurring dream about losing their teeth? well, I used to have it about myself, and now I have it about Fletcher :thumbsup:

I'm guessing it would depend on the judge, and if they ask, tell them? Some may not notice...

Edited by Bindii

I thought in the All breeds ring that the dog needed full dentition or it had to be excused or non awarded

Is this not the case?

And it would not be hard for someone to get a note from the vet saying a dog had lost a tooth in an accident when in actual fact it never got that tooth.

There's not point in going to the trouble of getting a letter from a vet. If a judge likes your dog enough, they'll put it up anyway. We've shown the Staffords with plenty of broken teeth and one with a canine removed. If the bite looks correct, then one missing tooth is not going to be an issue, be it canine or incisor

If it were a missing pre molar, then you are getting into the territory of judges putting the dog down for it.

A judge is also unable to verify the authenticity of any letter you may have in your hand and it's a complete waste of time.

There's not point in going to the trouble of getting a letter from a vet. If a judge likes your dog enough, they'll put it up anyway. We've shown the Staffords with plenty of broken teeth and one with a canine removed. If the bite looks correct, then one missing tooth is not going to be an issue, be it canine or incisor

If it were a missing pre molar, then you are getting into the territory of judges putting the dog down for it.

A judge is also unable to verify the authenticity of any letter you may have in your hand and it's a complete waste of time.

Hi,

I handle a Gundog who has had an accident and lost an incisor. The owner not only hast a Vet letter but also the tooth. What I have noticed is some judges will forgive the missing tooth whilst others wont accept it at all. Usually the forgiving judges will ask what happened. So it a case of you just have to take your chances. Though I probably wouldn't show this dog under a European FCI judge as they tend to take tooth counting very seriously