Police Dog Bites Boy, 8, During Search Of House

zoepuppy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the news tonight - the parents are calling for the police dog to be PTS and are looking at suing.

Definitely don't think it is the dogs fault.

Child runs into the house calling out ... dog is working so he is already “on edge”. I think it is more human error rather then the dogs fault.

Maybe I am cynical but I think it is a good excuse for the family to cry “poor us” and get some money. If they were so concerned for their child's welfare they wouldn't be involved with drugs and get raided in the first place...

I don't think the dog should be put down - he was doing his job, and presumably didn't know exactly who he was supposed to bite.

The officers in charge were the ones who should have made sure that the house was clear before the dog was sent in offleash. Just like they should make sure the house is clear of innocent people before discharging any other type of weapon in a house. If the child was shot or tasered accidentally, we'd be blaming the officers in charge - not the gun or taser. Same thing.

It's unreasonable to blame the father, I feel, unless there is more going on that was revealed in the story. 8 year olds should be able to enter their own houses to look for their Mums without being bitten by large dogs. & you can't keep an eye on your 8 year old all the time - they're fast and unpredictable!

I can't see a reason why the dog should be Euth'ed - He was only doing his job so I really can't see why the dog is blamed in this situtaion. ;)

Trained police dogs are worth a considerable amount not only in money and time but their worth to the police force.

I feel for the child, but in all honestly I can't see why the dog should have to pay the ultimate price for doing his job. :rofl:

Apparently such wholesome parents to start with, obviously they always have their child's welfare at heart if the police were there in force searching for drugs... :thumbsup:

Dog bites are much more harmful that illicit drug and criminal lifestyle exposure...

I cant believe how many idiots are commenting on that story that the dog is "dangerous" and therefore should be put down.

It's a POLICE DOG!!!! Of course it's dangerous FFS. Which is completely different to a domestic dog who savages people indiscriminately. The dog didn't savage the kid - he just grabbed his leg and held him - exactly as he's been trained to do. No loss of control or aggression here.

If they put that dog down they might as well destroy all police dogs. All of them would have done the same thing.

Have a close look at the photo of the kid - what the hell is going on with the cat in the right corner???

Of course the dog should not be destroyed. The dog was doing its job, the police were doing their job. Hey parents - if you're so concerned about your son, stop doing drugs. Idiots.

I don't think police dogs come under the companion animal laws as a pet does in regard to attacks. If a police officer discharges a gun incorrectly, they don't destroy the gun in the officers error, the officer in control of the gun faces the music. I guess a dog incident would be much the same???

Fiona :(

I agree the dog shouldn't be pts, although I would've thought it an unlikely outcome. But, despite of the fact that the parent's may or may not have been involved in drugs (they haven't been found guilty yet), the child should still have been safe from getting bitten, police dog or not. A review of how they handled the situation is warrented. Given a child was present, maybe they did need to have someone watching the door? I don't pretend to understand exactly how things work, but I believe this incident should be used to prevent this happening in the future.

I cant believe how many idiots are commenting on that story that the dog is "dangerous" and therefore should be put down.

It's a POLICE DOG!!!! Of course it's dangerous FFS. Which is completely different to a domestic dog who savages people indiscriminately. The dog didn't savage the kid - he just grabbed his leg and held him - exactly as he's been trained to do. No loss of control or aggression here.

If they put that dog down they might as well destroy all police dogs. All of them would have done the same thing.

If that's the case the dog was doing EXACTLY what it has been trained to do! If anything the Officers in Charge should receive a repremand for not follow procedures correctly by the sounds of things. Someone should have been controlling the entrance to the house.