Puppy Farm Awareness Rally

Nekhbet

Please don't give up, please find some way to promote your beautiful pure breed dogs. I don't know the ins and outs of all that is being inflicted on you as breeders and the consequences of this (though I have read of some) but please try to find a way to proceed and promote and continue producing your beautiful pure breed dogs.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people in our society that are ignorant to how valuable you are and lack education on the great value of owning a pure breed dog. The feel that I'm getting is that owning a purebred dog is like an old thing of the past or something that is for certain people who have that 'acquired taste '. I don't think pure breeds are being promoted very well.

Perhaps there are many breeders that would say well, I'm only selling a pup to those that will appreciate my breed and who bother researching my breed, all those silly people who are only after those designer dogs are too stupid or do not deserve my dogs anyway. The thing is that many people will most likely buy a pure breed if they only knew what an honour it is to own one. If they knew its history and all the hard work that's put into producing such healthy well-adjusted well breed dogs. There are many people that appreciate quality. I also appreciate that you need to protect your breed from undesirable potential owners. I think a lot of good will come out of promoting/educating others about your breeds than keeping them only for the few already educated in our society or just for those who bother to educate themselves.

Please excuse me if I'm getting the wrong vibes hear of what's actually happening. I am only going from what I have been reading and just a general feel of some of the other threads I have read. Also by noticing the lack of promoting of the pedigree dog in our society.

Thank you.

Here's part of the problem. There isnt enough of us and we are not breeding enough dogs.There is no way I could breed enough puppies which would go anywhere near addressing the demand for them.

I dont keep a waiting list because when I did I had up to 100 on the list. I dont even take names now unless they already have one of my dogs and its rare that at least some out of every litter dont go out to someone who already owns one of my dogs which Ive bred over the past 35 years. Some are now on their 4th dog which I have bred - last litter I only had one out of 8 which didnt go to a previous puppy buyer. I know that people have waited up to 2 years to get one of my puppies.

People still want purebred dogs just as much as they ever did and promoting them is a great idea but who will breed them if we raise the demand when every day less and less are being bred?

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe we should start at the grass roots of the problem....the Controlling Bodies.

I think that ANKC could be run better, have bigger goals and do more for the members, however I do not think that are the grass roots of the problem.

That belongs to the animal rights groups, they have started and keep pushing any issue then can that will make trouble or help lead to the end of ownership of dogs.

We as registered breeders are just one group of dog owners that are in the way of animal rights groups reaching their goal.

Well why aren't the controlling bodies pushing back.

They are the ones we pay our membership too.

They are supposed to be the governing bodies that should be protecting our rights as members.

Not us fighting to protect them.

Maybe we should start at the grass roots of the problem....the Controlling Bodies.

I think that ANKC could be run better, have bigger goals and do more for the members, however I do not think that are the grass roots of the problem.

That belongs to the animal rights groups, they have started and keep pushing any issue then can that will make trouble or help lead to the end of ownership of dogs.

We as registered breeders are just one group of dog owners that are in the way of animal rights groups reaching their goal.

They are supposed to be the governing bodies that should be protecting our rights as members.

Because they think they are seen to be better than and above everyone else who breeds dogs. A bit slow especially after pedigreed dogs exposed to see that actually we are the ones they are going after as much as anyone.there's more but not suitable for a public forum.

When 2000 people rally for law changes it gets more attention than one spokesperson from one group saying what the group thinks. Both sides of politics saw it as an opportunity to gain votes for no other reason than its in the public eye. Who is going to oppose new laws to cut out puppy farmers? They even have the group who represent commercial breeders saying they want to stop puppy framers. Problem is the puppy farmers have been told they arent considered puppy farmers when the rest of the world still sees them as puppy farmers and no one is really wanting to be seen to be against new laws because after all if we are doing it all right - what do we have to be afraid of - right. Give the RSPCA more powers without more accountability to be a quasi police force - what ever would we have to protest about?

Almost 3000 people sign a petition to stop the sale of pets in pet shops - thats at least a couple of million who havent agreed but no one thinks of it like that.

About 1% of people who breed dogs really do need to be locked up and stopped from owning dogs and that leaves tens of thousands of us who dont but they want laws bought in which will affect all of the good guys more than the very ones they are supposedly going after.

No one is likely to put packets of poo in people's letter boxes who attended a rally to stop puppy farmers - wonder who would be brave enough to stand on the steps of parliment house and demand laws to remove RSPCA's power rather than give them more?

Because they think they are seen to be better than and above everyone else who breeds dogs. A bit slow especially after pedigreed dogs exposed to see that actually we are the ones they are going after as much as anyone.there's more but not suitable for a public forum.

When 2000 people rally for law changes it gets more attention than one spokesperson from one group saying what the group thinks. Both sides of politics saw it as an opportunity to gain votes for no other reason than its in the public eye. Who is going to oppose new laws to cut out puppy farmers? They even have the group who represent commercial breeders saying they want to stop puppy framers. Problem is the puppy farmers have been told they arent considered puppy farmers when the rest of the world still sees them as puppy farmers and no one is really wanting to be seen to be against new laws because after all if we are doing it all right - what do we have to be afraid of - right. Give the RSPCA more powers without more accountability to be a quasi police force - what ever would we have to protest about?

Almost 3000 people sign a petition to stop the sale of pets in pet shops - thats at least a couple of million who havent agreed but no one thinks of it like that.

About 1% of people who breed dogs really do need to be locked up and stopped from owning dogs and that leaves tens of thousands of us who dont but they want laws bought in which will affect all of the good guys more than the very ones they are supposedly going after.

No one is likely to put packets of poo in people's letter boxes who attended a rally to stop puppy farmers - wonder who would be brave enough to stand on the steps of parliment house and demand laws to remove RSPCA's power rather than give them more?

Who would stand there, possible you and me and a handful of others.

Certainly not the controlling bodies.

Actually I think there would be more people willing to stand up there with you both than you think. Me for one, and I can think of quite a few more. People are starting to realise that the RSPCA is not all it's meant to be and if they knew the reality about the powers they actually have their would be many more.

Please don’t give up, please find some way to promote your beautiful pure breed dogs. I don’t know the ins and outs of all that is being inflicted on you as breeders and the consequences of this (though I have read of some) but please try to find a way to proceed and promote and continue producing your beautiful pure breed dogs.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people in our society that are ignorant to how valuable you are and lack education on the great value of owning a pure breed dog. The feel that I’m getting is that owning a purebred dog is like an old thing of the past or something that is for certain people who have that ‘acquired taste ’. I don’t think pure breeds are being promoted very well.

Perhaps there are many breeders that would say well, I’m only selling a pup to those that will appreciate my breed and who bother researching my breed, all those silly people who are only after those designer dogs are too stupid or do not deserve my dogs anyway. The thing is that many people will most likely buy a pure breed if they only knew what an honour it is to own one. If they knew its history and all the hard work that’s put into producing such healthy well-adjusted well breed dogs. There are many people that appreciate quality. I also appreciate that you need to protect your breed from undesirable potential owners. I think a lot of good will come out of promoting/educating others about your breeds than keeping them only for the few already educated in our society or just for those who bother to educate themselves.

Please excuse me if I’m getting the wrong vibes hear of what’s actually happening. I am only going from what I have been reading and just a general feel of some of the other threads I have read. Also by noticing the lack of promoting of the pedigree dog in our society.

If only the world had more people like you Fleuri.

I have often thought of just walking away from the whole lot. Next time I feel like that I will dig out your post and read it. Thank you.

Souff

really makes the case that the majority of dog breeders are not too intelliegent doesnt it?

but hey... pay up....u may be dumb.....BUT U ARE SUPERIOUR :rofl: ;) :rofl:

is the little person beside the sign, you? :laugh: don't look that happy. :laugh:

im not.

why should i be,,, what is wrong with people, seems u go to a dog show and they are all in their little tents busy backstabbing everyone or someone in another tent.

n then wonder why newbies keep walking? who wants to join in that?

ive known many want to show, so go, but it finally gets them down and they stop going.

as for encouraging newbies....... gee i cant count the number of people who have rang in tears......wanted a pup.... would like to try showing...but hey .... how dare you want a main registered pup.

no longer welcome like it used to be 30, 40 yrs ago.

n of course the best one now, any breeder mug enough to sell one with main registration can expect that "perfect" puppy back post haste for a refund. preferably full n costs of having raised it till its adult teeth have come in. its getting into adulthood and :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: its not as perfect as it was as a puppy.

so now its supposed to be not a registration that means u can show and breed from your puppy when it grows up. its apparently now a guarantee it will become an australian champion? :laugh: :laugh: :)

considering many breeders i know have run on up to 4 pups at a time to finally decide which is the best after all the maturity changes have kicked in when did this idea that main registration become a guarantee .

only recently was lulled into letting an ex showi have a pup , just for fun, just want to get back into showing, yes i know love they can change and end up too .big or too small or the teeth can not come back in same as now.....

well hes back. didnt mature good enough. teeth went out sooo the gallery told her return it, its not good enough, you were ripped offf.

considering she had some half dozen advisers when choosing a pup. they arent to blame they were not 100 percent right about their choice. its the ooorrrible shonky breeder.

n with that sort of mentality why would anyone risk handing over a main register pup any more.

even without all the new wonder rules being slammed on everyone now?

the members are their own enemies.

if you do not encourage newbies, were will the next generation to take up the challenge come from?

if you only breed to replace for your own kennels theres precious little contribution to "the breed" as a whole going on.

this internal mindset descruction began some 20 years ago although i noticed the beginnings of it from the first day i took my first pup to a show so we are only watching the culmination of decades of self deception.

interesting the figures of 60,000 purebred puppies registered to the estimated 1 MILLION BORN ANNUALLY..... so who bred the 940,000 others? ;)

do u seriously think they all came from puppy farms?

from my looking and asking theres hundreds of thousands of families who have kept their own "lines" of totally unregistered breeds going for centuaries without ever becoming a member of a canine council or ever have a officially pedigreed dog.

just look at one for example, the german coolie has been a highly regarded breed in this country for ONLY a few hundred years. are any in a recognised pedigree Canine Council? NOPE

soo what do we see recently, the introduction of the importation of the american registered "Australian Shepherd" same doggie kids :rofl:

n where did they come from? arrived in the good old us of a along with a consignment of sheep from where???? Australia.....

as i foolishly asked in 1978,,, but everyone has a back yard?

if you eliminate backyarders you eliminate yourself?

the wheel is turning and its just about to complete its rollover looks to me anyway.... no cc's no pedigree dogs.

the survivors will be the likes of the tens of thousands of purebreeds that are still and will be bred in their thousands by people who never registered theirs.

i know from asking, over 99 percent of blue cattles i see, when i ask who bred it, it didnt come from a registered breeder.

who won this unwinnable race?

search me

Edited by asal

seems maybe too many in the cc's dont realise they cant hold people to ransom for a purebred dog anyway.

its not just the oodles and doodles that are being bred out there after all. n theres a lot more people breeding than the puppy farmers either

n somehow suspect they will stay under the radar being hastily constructed anyway.

if they aint ever chipped. or council registered they aint on the radar are they?

Edited by asal

only last year i was asked to help "rehome " some pedigree doggies. sorry was told they were "pedigree" but that had nothing to indicate who even bred them not even a receipt

when i had them scanned, no chips

these were adults some 5 or 6 years old....looked like purebreds?

soooo who bred em

they had been bought from a friend of a friend

Edited by asal

terribly sorry there is more here i went to the next page:

be warned, puppy factories can misled you by calling themselves "registered breeders" they title themselves as such as they are a registered breeder with the council but they are not registered with any kennel club or breed association. Make sure you ask the question so you are informed to make a decision. Ofcourse another option is to adopt a dog from either the RSPCA or another animal shelter at www.adoptapet.com.au.

to ensure you are not supporting the puppy factory industry, you should not purchase your puppy from classified advertisements in newspapers, online or from a petshop.

That's going TOO far for my liking :) - "online" could include Dogzonline and many reputable breeders (myself included) advertise in newspapers, it's just not possible to place all puppies purely by word of mouth

Further to my comment above - I went to the RSPCA Puppy Farm site & put in a comment about my concerns. I received a reply today, which impressed me! The point was made that they did to want to use the term "registered breeders" as puppy farms sometimes describe themselves as registered but would look at more ways to steer people towards ethical breeders. I just wouldn't like to see Dogzonline suffer because people are being told not to look for puppies online! I would say about 80% of my puppy enquiries come from Dogzonline.

I believe they steer people clear of buying online - not seeing ads online.

Really?

I have just located no less than 15 INTERNET SITES of the RSPCA where the RSPCA are selling dogs and cats in Australia.

No, I am not going to list them here, you can do the searches for yourself.

I would stop "believing" the people you have been believing and start asking questions for yourself.

Souff

• 2 weeks later...

Well it has been some time since this Rally was held and we have had a lot of discussion about it and some time to give it a lot of private thought.

Has anyone come up with some thoughts as to a counter action ? or are you prepared to let the matter rest.

Bump

Come on people are you going to let the animal libbers get away with including Registered Ethical Breeders in this presentation to the Government.

Where will you go for your beautiful pets when all breeding has been closed down.

Registered Ethical breeders were not specifically excluded from this bill.

Again I ask where will you go to purchase healthy genetically tested dogs from, if we the registered breeders, and I mean registered with the Controlling Body of our state of Residence, are not permitted to breed ???????????.

Haven't the councils who represent the registeredbreeders made a decision not to act? There is your answer.

No. Not the case as we the members have not been officially notified of any such decision.

That doesn't seem to be an unusual thing either sadly.

Bump

Come on people are you going to let the animal libbers get away with including Registered Ethical Breeders in this presentation to the Government.

Where will you go for your beautiful pets when all breeding has been closed down.

Registered Ethical breeders were not specifically excluded from this bill.

Again I ask where will you go to purchase healthy genetically tested dogs from, if we the registered breeders, and I mean registered with the Controlling Body of our state of Residence, are not permitted to breed ???????????.

Well, I'm not quite sure who you're really addressing here. Future buyers of puppies?

Registered breeders have their canine councils, lobby them to act on your behalf, isn't that why you elect them? Registered breeders have to fight the fight themselves, they have to stand up and separate themselves.....in the eyes of the puppy buying public....from puppy farms, backyard breeders etc. And they have to tell the public loud and clear why it's better to buy a puppy from them.