What Size Greenies To Feed My Dog?

nadz

i feed my mini dachshund greenies every now and then, usually after a bath (to clean his teeth haha!). He is just under 4kgs. I gave him the regular size today ($5 one) and he couldnt finish it, too much for him. They are available 2 sizes smaller, but these are quite small and look like they could cause choking. Should i go with the smaller size or stick with regular? I supervise when he chews them!

Otherwise, are there other brands which are better for cleaning teeth? He gets RMBs almost daily but i like something he can chew inside every now and then :)

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the replies.

As I had written in my first post, I give my dog bones pretty much daily (yes, that includes chicken necks/wings/frames and lamb necks etc), I was looking for something he can have on occasion inside the house (I feed bones outside with my supervision so he doesn't mess up the house).

Everythings Shiny, I will definitely try the kramar brand next time! Thanks for the recc!

nadz, my two adore greenies [the ones that look like little toothbrushes and are a bit bendy]. i use the smallest size [petite i think] but because they both like to bury, i cut them up into 6 pieces, give them two pieces each night after their dinner and it is such a treat watching them chew these wee bits :laugh:

if they've moved off their mat, and i rattle the container i keep these pieces in, they both immediately become alert and step onto the mat waiting expectantly for their yummy chewies :D

as i said, they both bury and they both find a full one [of the smallest size] too much to handle, thus i cut them up :rofl:

i hope that helps!

thanks again all..

I might give him one chopped up as skruffy n flea suggested, but i didnt realise they had been recalled previously! I have given him beef tendon before but it shredded all over the place haha but this sort of thing might be my best option.

I just dont like the thought of bones in the house, germs etc. The little fella isnt very consistent with chewing on a matt and i dont like having to mop the floors after he's finished. He even drops chicken necks then licks the floor afterwards!

Like i said, these are only a rare treat, in fact ive had him nearly 8 months and today was his 2nd greenie. I just would like to have this sort of thing in the house if the occasion arises!

Would a pigs ear be an appropriate alternative? Im guessing it wont do much for his teeth, but the bones take care of that really anyway

I wouldn't touch Kramar chews either - not after their recent recall!!

Pigs ears, sheeps ears, venison ears etc. Orbit gets a cow hoof every now and then and he loves them and they last forever. Bit stinky though. Dried roo tails, turkey necks etc are another suggestion.

Or what about an Everlasting Treat Ball?

Orbit knows the rules are very strict in terms of eating treats on his bed or mat. If its something he's likely to make a mess with, I just put an old towel or blanket on top of his bed and he stays on that.

Perhaps some more time reinforcing the rules will mean that you can be a bit more open when it comes to feeding certain chews inside :rofl:

ReadySetGo i really dont understand the point of your posts in this thread; You havent really answered any of the questions i have asked.. I do appreciate you taking the time to post in here, and i know your position is roo tendons occasionally and bones daily, so thanks for that!

Eta thanks for the reply stormie.. No go with kramar either ill go with the dried natural chews as you suggested :rofl:

Edited by nadz

ReadySetGo i really dont understand the point of your posts in this thread; You havent really answered any of the questions i have asked.. I do appreciate you taking the time to post in here, and i know your position is roo tendons occasionally and bones daily, so thanks for that!

Eta thanks for the reply stormie.. No go with kramar either ill go with the dried natural chews as you suggested :rofl:

well if you were using them to clean the teeth and chopped the greenie up, then it's a pointless exercise.

if you want something suitable to clean the teeth, that's not over processed muck, then an air dried treat made in Australia is an alternative.

better still feed your dog a raw piece of roo tail , a chicken wing or whatever, as the stripping action will help to clean the teeth. As you are already doing that outside on a regular basis , then there's really no point to the greenies.

The anwser to what sized greenie is one that he can't swallow whole but consumes it all.