Artificial Insemination Success?

juliedamian

Hi guys,

My husband and i are looking into frozen AI for the first time, and are interested in hearing from those experienced in this way of breeding.. When the stud and bitch are together they mate multiple times so im wondering what the success rate for 1 breeding of AI is?

Have you noticed smaller litters from frozen AI?

Or has the Insemination just not worked at all?

We are on the north side of Brisbane and will be looking for an experienced vet to do this for us, can anyone recomend one?

If you have any advice or experience to share we would love to hear it, we want to be as informed as much as possible before we proceed..

thanks heaps

Being in the North of Brisbane, you have possibly the best AI person in the country at your disposal.... Phil Thomas at Chermside. :laugh:

If you want to be 99% sure on having puppies from an AI - go and visit him with your girl :vomit:

Seriously good....... ;)

Being in the North of Brisbane, you have possibly the best AI person in the country at your disposal.... Phil Thomas at Chermside. :rofl:

If you want to be 99% sure on having puppies from an AI - go and visit him with your girl :thumbsup:

Seriously good....... :rofl:

I would second Phil Thomas I believe he one of the best at surgical implants.

You can get the same results as normal matings.

You will get some that have large litters and some small and of course some don't conceive at all.

Hi guys,

My husband and i are looking into frozen AI for the first time, and are interested in hearing from those experienced in this way of breeding.. When the stud and bitch are together they mate multiple times so im wondering what the success rate for 1 breeding of AI is?

We've done AI from frozen semen twice, both on maiden bitches.

First girl had 6 pups, and 9 when we did a live mating for her next litter.

Second girl had a singleton but she hasn't had a live mating yet for us to compare.

Considering litter sizes can vary for a variety of reasons when you do live matings, I don't think AI always produces smaller litters. I know people who have had very big litters with AI and very small litters with AI.

Hi guys,

We are on the north side of Brisbane and will be looking for an experienced vet to do this for us, can anyone recomend one?

If you have any advice or experience to share we would love to hear it, we want to be as informed as much as possible before we proceed..

thanks heaps

My friend with Great Danes in Canada had her very first frozen implant litter and got 16 puppies from it...the natural matings she did a number of years later, produced none or less than 5. She sticks with frozen and generally comes out with more pups....if the lab can progesterone test without delay, the vets can implant at precisely the correct time for maximum success.

Remember, we KNOW what the semen is (motility, thaw recovery etc) but we don't know what the bitch is doing regarding how many eggs are released and how she will accept their attachment to her uterus.....we are quick to blame either the implanting vet for a failure or small number, or the semen itself....don't forget the bitch must come into the equation as well.

I'm about to do my first also. Feeling quite nervous about the whole thing, with my previous breed mating were relatively easy as they seemed to breed like rabbits (hence why I got out of that breed :D )

So its my first litter with this breed and my first AI. My girl is due in season any day now and I have arranged the semen to come down to Adelaide from NSW. Was meant to be here this Saturday but get a phone call yesterday from the transport company that the container FAILED on route to Melbourne and all contents were destroyed :thumbsup: So nervousness has now turned to FREAKING OUT!! This is a very important mating for me and devo for the dogs owner as he is no longer with us and she only has a certain amount of straws for him. However she has been so kind enough to allow another straw to come to me next week. i also have the stress of living miles away from the fertility clinic and having to transport my bitch several times daily leading up to the actual insemination. I can get initial tests done at my local vet. I asked if she can stay there a few days while they need her for the tests as I live so far away but the reply I got was "things we do to breed dogs".

Its kinda put me off a bit as the OP said its one chance, with natural you can mate them till your hearts content.. but you do what you have to do for the betterment of the breed.

Edited by Mastini

My record for frozen is 0,0,10. However, there were extenuating factors on the two zeros. Both bitches failed to produce to natural matings after the AI was tried. The 10 had had three litters of 10 previously, including both natural and chilled semen.

I think the real question is not frozen vs fresh vs natural, but whether or not you do prog testing. I suspect that the main reason people get small litters from bitches that could produce large litters is cause they think 'the dog' knows, or use some other behavioural thing, and get the timing off. I'm sure some of the behavioural ques work well . . . for some people. But I also know they mess up sometimes for some people.

Mastini which repro vet have you contacted for the insemination?

This year I used frozen semen from the UK and got a litter, I used Noah's Crossing, yes it is a cut lunch and a water bag trip from my place to there, so, Chris suggested that I brought the bitch out for the prog testing and board her there, so as they could do the required testing.

Hi guys,

thanks heaps

Dr Stuart Mason at Monash Vets (Vic) did a transcervical AI using imported frozen semen on my maiden bitch last year and she produced 10 pups.

We tried a surgical implant the season prior with no luck (different semen also)

Good luck with your plans

• 5 months later...

Has anyone heard of Annette Page on the south side of brisbane for Frozen A.I? If so how was it service wise and cost wise? did you end up with a good litter? I know it depends on alot of different things but and mostly looking for feedback on success from this vet?

thanks

Hi guys,

thanks heaps

I think it matters what type of frozen semen ie local or imported

and then from which country the semen is imported from.

Import frozen semen success rate is around 30-40%.

Also some breeds respond better to AI than others.

really though it doesn't matter what other breeders, dogs, bitches experience are or how sucessful/unsuccesful

their AI breeding was

as there are so many variables

and ulitmately its up to your indivual bitch and the frozen semen you are going to use.