Stud Dog Question

Dracdog

This may seem like a stupid question but I am wanting to put my Labrador out there as a Stud. What is the best way appart from going to shows to get his name out there. I have not been able to show due to work commitments but would like to see his line continue at least in part.

He has been xrayed and I am waiting the results but was advised by the vet that took them that they looked very good.

Unless your dog has something really special to offer, breeders will go for well known stud dogs with proven results in conformation and with a good record in producing quality offspring. If you really want him used you should start showing him and attain his title, if he looks good you will create some interest, if he has good breeding behind him even better.

I'd start with a profile on DOL. A lab doesn't have to be shown, maybe he could work in some other way - agility, gundog trials, obedience, endurance...... and then try to get him out to the occasional show, so the breeders can see him in the flesh.

Get him into the show ring where judges and other breeders can evaluate him. You could advertise him in one of the dog show magazines or on DOL, but unless he's an exceptional example of his breed and carrying hard to find highly sought after lines I doubt that you'll get many enquiries. Labradors are a highly competitive breed and there are already many good dogs around that are never used at stud. The best thing to do is to show him and see how he goes.

Edited by Miranda

Get him into the show ring where judges and other breeders can evaluate him. You could advertise him in one of the dog show magazines or on DOL, but unless he's an exceptional example of his breed and carrying hard to find highly sought after lines I doubt that you'll get many enquiries. Labradors are a highly competitive breed and there are already many good dogs around that are never used at stud. The best thing to do is to show him and see how he goes.

These would be my thoughts on the matter to.

Good luck.

totally agree with what's been said about getting him assessed in the ring, field trials ect.

And don't forget, if you are approached for stud duties, don't do yourself & dog a disservice by accepting just any bitch. make sure its to 'selected bitches only' and check with your breeder - as in many breeds, some lines just don't 'click' with others.

Personally, unless you've had a great deal of experience in your breed, I would'nt be contemplating stud/breeding.

remember if you choose the bitch / bitch owners unwisely - the dog ALWAYS gets the blame for a dud litter !!!

fifi

I agree with getting him out in the show ring that way you know that he conforms to the breed standard. You may think he is an exceptional dog but having someone judge your dog in front of your peers will help as they will give (i'd hope) an unbiased assessment of your dog.

Also you need to ask yourself the following questions...

a) Does HE have the desired temperament of your breed?

b) Does HE conform to the breed standard? You will soon learn this if you start to show him.

b) What does MY dog have to offer the breed?

c) How can someone using HIM improve their lines and the breed in general?

d) Are HIS lines rare in Australia?

e) What are his Sire/Dam and other siblings producing? Do they have any faults?

f) Is there any health issues in HIS line?

Edited by TrinaJ

Another option, but not a completely recommended one is to purchase a top-quality bitch with good bloodlines from a recognised kennel (good luck there - that in itself is a dificult thing to do) and put puppies sired by your dog out into the show ring so that people can see what he is capable of producing.

The other thing you need to consider is the actual act itself. Can you accomodate visiting bitches safely if they are not local? Do you have someone to help with mating if you do have a bitch staying? Do you have a good stud master handy if you have problems with a mating? Its not just a matter of throwing 2 dogs into the backyard and seeing what happens.

The other thing you need to consider is the actual act itself. Can you accomodate visiting bitches safely if they are not local? Do you have someone to help with mating if you do have a bitch staying? Do you have a good stud master handy if you have problems with a mating? Its not just a matter of throwing 2 dogs into the backyard and seeing what happens.

All good points Janba, although it sounds easy (and often is) there are times when you may have difficulty getting a mating and you need to know what to do in these situations. Knowing how to do an AI is useful otherwise you have to cart the dog and bitch off to the vet. You may also get a bitch sent to you from interstate in which case you have to pick her up and return her to the airport and house her until she's had at least two matings and although some bitches are fine a lot aren't and they stress and howl and bark and go off their food and throughly disrupt your household. Visiting bitches can be one hell of a hassle.

I'm not trying to be negative, but many people seem to think that offering a dog at stud is no big deal, someone brings round a bitch who's spot on and receptive (they often aren't), you put her in the yard with your dog and hey presto, there's an instant mating and a 20 minute tie. Sometimes this happens and these are the easy ones, but unfortunately it's not always that straightforward and if you own a stud dog you must know what to do if things don't go to plan.

This may seem like a stupid question but I am wanting to put my Labrador out there as a Stud. What is the best way appart from going to shows to get his name out there. I have not been able to show due to work commitments but would like to see his line continue at least in part.

He has been xrayed and I am waiting the results but was advised by the vet that took them that they looked very good.

My question is to the bold part..why? Because he has emotional attachment to you or because his pedigree is one of a kind or dying away (which often has valid reasons which should be explored)

My other question is....why? why because you own a male, (speaking as a general, not specific target 'you') it seems as though the automatic conclusion is to let him be used at stud? Do you (see reference to 'you' as noted above) feel you will make money from this action?

With a common breed as mentioned in the OP, unless the dog stands out in a crowd with both health and conforming to the breed standard, never mind what hunting instincts it might possess, it's unlikely that many with bitches will be interested. Yes there is occasionally a nugget of gold found in someones back yard in regards to an intact male that meets the needs of the bitch owner, but it's not overly a common occurance.

totally agree with what's been said about getting him assessed in the ring, field trials ect.

And don't forget, if you are approached for stud duties, don't do yourself & dog a disservice by accepting just any bitch. make sure its to 'selected bitches only' and check with your breeder - as in many breeds, some lines just don't 'click' with others.

Personally, unless you've had a great deal of experience in your breed, I would'nt be contemplating stud/breeding.

remember if you choose the bitch / bitch owners unwisely - the dog ALWAYS gets the blame for a dud litter !!!

fifi

Also if you allow him to go to what others consider a disreputable breeder/bitch, then kiss just about any chance of him being used by the reputable ones, unless what others have said he carries exceptional, highly sought after lines.

My question is to the bold part..why? Because he has emotional attachment to you or because his pedigree is one of a kind or dying away (which often has valid reasons which should be explored)

My other question is....why? why because you own a male, (speaking as a general, not specific target 'you') it seems as though the automatic conclusion is to let him be used at stud? Do you (see reference to 'you' as noted above) feel you will make money from this action?

Of course there is an emotional attachment to the him but also his breeder is in her mid-late 80's and has retired after breeding, showing and judging for around 45 years so I would be partially continuing her lines. I am not wanting to do this to make money If I do maked a little bit of money it would be a sideeffect the main reason as I said is to keep the bloodline going in some small way. What I ment when I wrote "at least in part" was that a pup is not made soley from 1 lot of DNA so part of any pups bred would be him.

Of course there is an emotional attachment to the him but also his breeder is in her mid-late 80's and has retired after breeding, showing and judging for around 45 years so I would be partially continuing her lines. I am not wanting to do this to make money If I do maked a little bit of money it would be a sideeffect the main reason as I said is to keep the bloodline going in some small way. What I ment when I wrote "at least in part" was that a pup is not made soley from 1 lot of DNA so part of any pups bred would be him.

You have answered your question....get that breeder to mentor you and guide you. She will know what he would be good with or not and advise you. She would have connections to help promote the dog if she felt that he was in fact good enough to be used at stud. While she is still here, use her expertise.

You have answered your question....get that breeder to mentor you and guide you. She will know what he would be good with or not and advise you. She would have connections to help promote the dog if she felt that he was in fact good enough to be used at stud. While she is still here, use her expertise.

Thank you I was keeping in touch with Barbara but she moved and I have no Idea where to or how to contact her. Does anyone know how I can get intouch with Barbara Norman? I did try Dogs Qld but they cannot give me any detail as she is nolonger a Judge or Breeder.

Edited by Dracdog

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you I was keeping in touch with Barbara but she moved and I have no Idea where to or how to contact her. Does anyone know how I can get intouch with Barbara Norman? I did try Dogs Qld but they cannot give me any detail as she is nolonger a Judge or Breeder.

Barbara is no longer involved with the breed as like a lot of the older breeders, there becomes a time when you just cannot do it anymore.