Do Not Walk Your Dog Off Lead!

lovemesideways

Cooper the Sharpei had been walked by his owners with no leash or collar since he was about 6 months. For 2 years they had no problems with this, his recall was great, he always stuck close to them and never wandered off.

A few weeks ago, the wife was walking Cooper down along side a busy road, when something caught his attention and for the first time and last time in his life, he ran out into the road.

He got hit by a car and died.

Please do not walk your dog without a lead anywhere near a road. Even if they have the worlds greatest heel and have never ever left your side. All it takes is one mistake :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

A childhood friend of mine had two lovely German Shepherd x sisters and her Father would always walk them off lead saying "Oh they're perfectly trrained..."

Yeah, until the day one ran out onto the road and got hit by a car. :thumbsup:

The dog survived, but I still remember thinking how stupid it is to do that. No dog is 100% reliable and I wish people would get that!

I can tell exactly the same story with an English Springer Spaniel the victim of the tragedy.

Sad for all concerned that they have to learn this lesson the hard way when the advice not to do this is readily available. :thumbsup:

The only safe place for an offlead dog around a moving car is IN one.

Edited by poodlefan

I saw someone walking their staffy off lead along the side of a 3 lane highway yesterday, it made me feel sick to the stomach.

How hard is it to put a damn lead on your dog to keep your dog and the people in the cars safer?

I have seen this many times over many years.

And every single time I say to myself...what if...

Young guys with puppys off lead walking them down a busy road.

Couples walking their dog who is at least 3 metres in front or lagging behind

eta RIP Cooper

Edited by stonebridge

I too have seen it too many times than I care to remember, it makes me really nervous as a driver to have to drive along side where their dogs are running free, what if?? I dont want to have to bear the guilt of hurting an animal due to their owners stupidity

RIP Cooper

efs

Edited by Hollys mummy

Until 4 months ago, we lived on a major highway. It never ceased to amaze and horrify me, the amount of people who'd walk their dogs offleash along the roadside. Not only was there the very busy road, but also a railway track with very regular trains.

I wouldn't even let my dogs go unleashed from the car to the front door.

RIP Cooper

A while back I was driving home and was just by my house and saw a couple walking their Boxer offlead, I was so worried about him nipping in front of me as they didnt even get him off the road, just walked with him on it. Anyway pulled into my driveway and got changed, leashed up Lexi and took her for a walk, I come across this couple again, they saw me with Lexi and decided to put the Boxers lead on, I greeted them as they walked past and then proceeded to take the lead off again, I called out to them and said "You know its illegal to walk him without a lead dont you?" he just yelled back saying "Mind your own f****** business" :eek:

Aww, RIP Cooper. :eek:

I never walk Indi offleash; her recall isn't the greatest, but even if it was I would never walk her near a busy road. I do walk her on a long lead sometimes though, but that's on a path away from roads and people.

I remember when I was sitting in the car at the school, waiting for my mum to go and pick my sister up. A lady was walking her dog (looked like a kelpie cross) WITHOUT a lead, on the footpath near all the cars, people... ect. The dog must have got spooked and within a second it ran onto the road and got hit by an oncoming car. It was the most horrible thing to see. :D If the stupid lady had any sense she would've had her dog on a lead. I don't think the dog died but it had serious injuries. People seriously need to use their brains when it comes to their dogs safety.

Guest belgian.blue

Today as I sat looking out my front bedroom window I saw a lady walking her large GSD, his lead was curled up in her hand and the dog was walking along with no lead.

See it a lot around here and we're between two busy roads.

I don't even like letting my two off lead at a dog park, I only ever do it at the beach. Even then I worry.

That's so sad - I knew Copper too!! I'm the same as all the others - I don't understand it. I would never ever walk mine off lead on any road, track etc. They are let offlead in fenced areas only. It only takes a second and I don't care how great the dogs' recall is, no dog is 100% perfect.

So many dogs and so many people are affected by people who don't follow the law and keep their dogs on leashes. Its not just what can happen to their own dogs it what their dogs can unexpected do to ours. The laws are there, never enforced and always scoffed at.

i reckon its this one we should be standing on the steps of parliament house about and getting petitions on the move.

How many of us don't go for walks any more with our dogs ? How many of wont take one route or another in case we meet up with one we know will be there ?

How many laws have been made which restrict where we can take our dogs because people do this?

there are always dogs walking around off lead around here, including one person with a corgi and another person with a chihuahua, always a distance from the owner. All it will take one day is someone backing out of their driveway because they simply won't be able to see the dog

Rip Cooper:(

I nearly hit a dog the other day when it ran across the road. I also had to wait in my car for a few minutes while the owner casually strolled over to get it. It kept running on and off the road. Stupid person.

Edited by aussielover

That's so sad - I knew Copper too!! I'm the same as all the others - I don't understand it. I would never ever walk mine off lead on any road, track etc. They are let offlead in fenced areas only. It only takes a second and I don't care how great the dogs' recall is, no dog is 100% perfect.

my brother walks one of his goldens off lead and despite me telling him not to do it he still does it, i can't convince him otherwise. one day we were walking along a street and out of nowhere a young driver hoons around the corner, my brothers dog was on the road so he called her back.

i've cut and pasted this thread to try and convince him, it only takes a second and pru could have been further on the road! he says the same thing, she is great at recall and is perfectly trained, all my dogs no matter what breed have always been on a lead they never come off it when they are out and about. safety first!!