Condom On Dog Cruelty- Case.

Steve

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/863284--windsor-man-jailed-for-cruelty-after-strapping-condom-on-dog

Anjalo Abeywickrema didn’t know what to do with his new dog, Tyson, a three-year-old black Lab mix that urinated and “humped everything” in his house. So he placed a condom on his dog’s penis and secured it with rubber tubing.

About 24 hours later, Tyson had to be euthanized after an infection spread from his genitals to his bladder.

On Friday, a Windsor judge sentenced the 51-year-old man to four months in jail for cruelty to an animal.

The incident occurred in early May.

According to Abeywickrema’s lawyer, Tyson became agitated when the condom was secured. The dog tried to get the condom off, but couldn’t and bit Abeywickrema when he tried to help. Then Abeywickrema brought Tyson outside to calm down. Once outside, Tyson took off.

Abeywickrema, a severe diabetic, lost the dog and collapsed — and then suffered a heart attack. A day later, with Abeywickrema still in hospital, Windsor city officials found Tyson and notified the Windsor-Essex Humane Society.

An external infection spread internally to his abdomen and bladder, according to Melanie Coulter, the society’s executive director.

“If we could have saved the dog, we would have,” Coulter said.

Abeywickrema was out on parole from a manslaughter sentence at the time, said his lawyer, Kevin Shannon.

“He stabbed his best buddy in the heart one drunken New Year’s Eve,” said Shannon.

When Abeywickrema was released from the hospital, he broke down and told his parole officer about the dog. Shortly after police arrested him, Abeywickrema suffered a second heart attack in jail.

Abeywickrema’s parole was revoked and he has been in prison since his arrest on May 13.

The four-month sentence will be tacked onto the remaining manslaughter sentence. Shannon figures his client will serve two-thirds of his time and will be out sometime next spring.

Shannon said Abeywickrema has mental health challenges in addition to his severe diabetes. Shannon said he was remorseful in court after pleading guilty to the judge.

“He turned to the people of the court and said ‘I’m sorry to all the animal lovers,’” Shannon said. “It’s too bad because he was starting to turn things around.”

As part of his sentence, Abeywickrema isn’t allowed to own an animal for five years.

He should never have been given a dog in the first place and definitely should never have one again. They need a national register - like the "sex offender" but for moron dog abusers instead.

What makes me sad is that when this idiot put the condom on him the dog LET HIM DO IT so he trusted him. The fact that he bit him later when he was trying to help get the thing off him is probably more to do with him being in pain ("agitated"!!!) than anything. Dogs trust people to do right by them - this is why to me it's one of the most heinous crimes for them to have that trust betrayed. And why I don't think people who do things like this to dogs can be trusted with any living being, animal or human.

This guy though, at least TRIED to take the thing off him (If he's telling the truth of course) - it doesn't sound like he's one of those deliberately randomly cruel creeps, just an idiot who shouldn't be let near a dog.

Maybe he should have the same done to him? I don't think he'd ever do it again after that :)

Normally I'd write a fairly long post pointing out the hypocrisy of posts like this but.. it's Sunday so you'll have to settle for this --> :laugh:

Added to the Dol Lynch mob list of potential punishments.. (all real suggestions taken from posts in this section of the forum)

• Drown as babies to prevent them from growing up into little monsters
  • Burn penises off.
  • Violently murder and then sexually mutilate the body.
  • Secure a condom on the criminal, leaving it in place until a lethal infection is caused.

it sounds like it was done out of ignorance and frustration at the dogs behaviour, instead of a deliberate act to cause the dog suffering.

I agree and I felt sorry for him until I read he stabbed his mate in the heart. :laugh: The guy is just a violent twat.

Maybe he should have the same done to him? I don't think he'd ever do it again after that :laugh:

Normally I'd write a fairly long post pointing out the hypocrisy of posts like this but.. it's Sunday so you'll have to settle for this --> :laugh:

Added to the Dol Lynch mob list of potential punishments.. (all real suggestions taken from posts in this section of the forum)

• Burn penises off.
  • Secure a condom on the criminal, leaving it in place until a lethal infection is caused.

Ho hum, here we go again, Hardy getting on his/her high horse - suggestions are all they are, motivated by disgust at the actions of some low life. These things were actually done by someone to animals and other people at some stage. How about directing your righteous indignation toward the real perpetrators? :laugh:

Poor dog :laugh: I must admit, I actually feel a bit bad for the guy, it sounds like he has some very real problems. His previous crime aside, it sounds more like an act of stupidity rather than intentional cruelty. I doubt he foresaw those problems occurring. So awful that the poor dog died as a result.

Maybe he should have the same done to him? I don't think he'd ever do it again after that :)

Normally I'd write a fairly long post pointing out the hypocrisy of posts like this but.. it's Sunday so you'll have to settle for this --> :thumbsup:

• Burn penises off.

Ho hum, here we go again, Hardy getting on his/her high horse - suggestions are all they are, motivated by disgust at the actions of some low life. These things were actually done by someone to animals and other people at some stage. How about directing your righteous indignation toward the real perpetrators? :D

I can be disgusted without calling for a child to be drowned or a woman to be violently murdered. But cheers for the suggestion, even if it was just a snide swipe at me :D

Staffygirl was just expressing how she feels about the situation... does it really matter? We all have different way of expressing our disgust/anger.

It IS cruelty, but it sounds like this guy just didn't have a clue about dogs... poor Tyson :wave:

Staffygirl was just expressing how she feels about the situation... does it really matter? We all have different way of expressing our disgust/anger.

Staffygirl was expressing how she felt about the situation and I was expressing how I felt about people suggesting violence. Both sides are entitled to their opinion, no?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/863284--windsor-man-jailed-for-cruelty-after-strapping-condom-on-dog

Abeywickrema, a severe diabetic, lost the dog and collapsed — and then suffered a heart attack. A day later, with Abeywickrema still in hospital, Windsor city officials found Tyson and notified the Windsor-Essex Humane Society.

When Abeywickrema was released from the hospital, he broke down and told his parole officer about the dog. Shortly after police arrested him, Abeywickrema suffered a second heart attack in jail.

ok, i have a 'severly' type 1 diabetic friend and my mother has had type 1 diabetes since before myself and my brother were born. i've been around diabetics my whole life and i have never heard of someone collapsing and then having a heart attack. unless he had been running around and looking for the dog with his levels already out of whack beforehand? or had had some other drugs in his system?

a coma is much more likely than a heart attack. sorry, but i think that part is weird. i reckon there must be something else to this story, cos it isn't adding up to me. i mena, it could happen, it just doesn't seem that likely is all- so i reckon there must be information that wasn't given to the newspaper. ;)

although he was stupid to put a condom on his dog (honestly, WHY? how did he think he was going to get it off?! :o ), it does sound like he tried to remove it quickly once he realised he'd made a mistake, if this version of the story is to be believed. more 'moral' than watching a dog starve in your backyard i suppose. you reckon he must've had something else in hi system to go, gosh darn, my dog is peeing everywhere. i know! i'll put a condom on it! -just a random, slightly disturbing thought, i wonder what size condom 'fits' a labrador?! actually the more i think about this case the more wtf it is all round!

cool name though. abeywickrema, has a nice rhythm to it...

The article states that the guy had "mental health issues' dah...he stabbed his best mate in the heart! FFS.

Obviously he was not the "full quid", poor dog, probably never had an owner with half a brain cell, some peoples train of though and idea paths are really, really scary. :rolleyes:

I think the heart attacks were probably secondary unrelated health issues aside from the diabetes.