What's Another Breed Selection Thread? Hehe.

tianakaesha

We're probably in need of a breed suggestion forum!

Friends of mine are planning on getting a dog. So far they have been recommended -oodles. Specifically Cav x Poodle. I almost had a meltdown. They have also been recommended Greyhounds. Again, not a great choice for this family.

Wish List:

*adult knee high

*suitable for 2 kids (6 and 8), though lots of kids visit of all ages.

*not a destructive breed

*house dog

*easy to train

*easy maintenance/grooming

*not massively energetic

*may enjoy playing fetch

*not a Labrador/golden retriever (too big, too boisterous)

*not a greyhound

"pretty" is a bonus

available to go offlead running on a farm with the kids playing around - sociable with other dogs - less likely to take off for hours after a rabbit.

someone is home 70% of the time always, though there will be times where it will need to be alone. Kids are at school, both parents work - in and out of the home.

I straight away thought of cavalier, and it is on the top of their list, but as they have people preaching about the benefits of hybrid vigor and cross bred mutts, I thought it best to help them with a list of pedigree dogs that may fit the bill.

I know some of the requirements are based on training rather than breed, but I thought I would add all the factors.

As I don't l know the temperaments of all breeds - if you list a breed - please tell me why you think it would fit this family as I think it would greatly assist. Or somewhere I can read up on the breed to get an idea of suitability. I want to make a list for the mother so she can sit down and read a bit about the breeds suggested and then do some further research.

THANKYOU ;)

apart from the easy/maintenance grooming I'd say a minature poodle. And the grooming only requires a drop off to the grooming salon every six weeks (i think it is) albiet with credit card in hand ;)

my sister had a poodle with children a little bit older than the children in this thread but not much. And it was an ideal dog for their situation, sadly just passed on at 15 years of age :D and Narla would tick every single box on the requirements including being a very healthy dog until the end :( she would be a couch potatoe but would love playing fetch as well or just running around being silly with her squeaky toys.

Are they aware that most oodles coats are very high maintenance?

If they're prepared to consider an oodle, they should consider the original and best one -a poodle. A Miniature Poodle would tick all the boxes except the maintenance one but they'd be less work than many poodle crosses.

Edited by poodlefan

Are they aware that most oodles coats are very high maintenance?

If they're prepared to consider an oodle, they should consider the original and best one -a poodle. A Miniature Poodle would tick all the boxes except the maintenance one but they'd be less work than many poodle crosses.

That's really what baffles me about 'oodle' dogs. I know someone with an 'oodle', they said they wanted it because of the coat, the coat like a poodle. I asked them why not just get a poodle? It was honestly like the thought had never occurred to them! What's wrong with poodles? Poodles are perfectly nice dogs ;)

They were not aware of the oodle coats. They don't want a dog that needs excessive salon trips. They don't want a poodle type I do not believe. Poodles were not on their list - but other people have been the ones telling them to go for oodles.

As they do work for doggy people who are oodle focussed or greyhound adoption focussed, they are being preached at a bit... So I told them I would come up with a list. They also were not aware that oodles were cross breeds (thought they were breeds).

I'd go a corgie - or a lapphund. And no, the coats don't require a lot of work - they are very much wash and wear when adult. You would need to make sure that they worked on recall starting as a puppy, but everything else would fit the bill. They are a very, very old breed, with very few health issues, and very 'pretty'. ;)

eta - swedish valhund could also be another breed they may like.

Edited by lappiemum

I'd go a corgie - or a lapphund. And no, the coats don't require a lot of work - they are very much wash and wear when adult. You would need to make sure that they worked on recall starting as a puppy, but everything else would fit the bill. They are a very, very old breed, with very few health issues, and very 'pretty'. ;)

I am sitting in a car with 1 lappie who HAS pissed off after a rabbit and didn't come back for quite a while, another who sure as hell would (she has managed to escape out of a crate but I managed to catch her before she got any speed up and a puppy who I can imagin will be like the other two!!!

I would also like to point out the current conversion on the spitz thread being about destructive lappies!!!!!!!!

What's the difference between the two different corgi breeds? are there any specific health issues to know about in relation to corgis?

If we remove the chasing rabbits part of the equation, does that free up any other breeds? (I don't know what the fencing is like at the farm where they go visiting, but there may be a fully fenced dog suitable yard)..

Cavaliers

Corgis

What about other spaniels? Are all Beagles driven by their nose? Are schauzers the same grooming requirements as a poodle?

I hope to take the Mama of this family out to erskine park one day to have a look at different dogs, but I want to get an idea first to help them get some research behind them.

Corgis and Valls may not be suitable for their energy requirements. Generally, they are high energy breeds, but it does vary within different lines. My corgi girl has SO much energy, she is always ready to go and is constantly dropping tennis balls at my feet. She will be tired after a long walk or run but give her ten minutes and she's ready to go again. My older corgi boy loves nothing more than a walk but he isn't too fussed if he doesn't get one and won't hassle you. My younger boy is a bit of a mix, some days he is full of beans and other days he just wants to watch tv ;)

So they'd need to let their breeder know that they want a quieter dog or do some research into lines.

Grooming of a vall is super easy, just a brush when they need it. Corgis need a little bit more brushing but it's still easy. They do shed a lot though, corgis more than valls. Are they ok with shedding? If cavs are on their list then they must be ok with shedding. Get them to go and meet some corgis and valls if possible because they could fit.

Smooth Collie?

The girls are quite small.

Shed, but minimal grooming

Easy to live with/train

Need regular but not a ton of exercise

Gentle with kids

I am sitting in a car with 1 lappie who HAS pissed off after a rabbit and didn't come back for quite a while, another who sure as hell would (she has managed to escape out of a crate but I managed to catch her before she got any speed up and a puppy who I can imagin will be like the other two!!!

I would also like to point out the current conversion on the spitz thread being about destructive lappies!!!!!!!!

All puppies are destructive at times, regardless of breed.

Recall is something you need to work on from the start. Sohvi came back when we were out walking along the murray with tobster and the pack when we recalled her, but I know Tasha would have kept chasing rabbits until the cows come home - which is why she was on the long lead. The difference being that Sohvi is the third 'child' so her recall training started as soon as we got her home. I should also point out that Toby, the CKC was also off chasing the rabbit too at times too :D

I would actually recommend a Keeshond. Sure the grooming is not "low" but its not high either. I good brush once a week and a bath 2 or 3 times a year will see you in good stead.

They are fantastic with kids, dont need much exercise, are really very smart (but not the same trainable as say a working breed) and are a fabulous house dog.

Anyway the coat would probably scare people, but really, they are quite low maintenance, if you are happy to give them a bit of a brush. They certainly dont need bathing very often at all.

A SCHIPPERKE ticks all those boxes and you could add to the list no health problems.

No doggy oudor when wet. Just needs a brush when they moult once a year when desexed.

Not yappy.

Would need secure fences though.

Still have the instinct to chase vermin.

Happy to sit on the couch with you.

Any other questions please ask.

BB

Do they want the dog to just hang around with no fences?? or just when the dog would be out with the kids????

My Whippets are always close by when out and about but there is no way they would just hang around if we were all inside (nor would I expect them too) and I am not sure too many dogs would

They live in the city, have a fully fenced yard. They go to "the farm" about 4 times a year. I am not sure what it's like when they go there. For all I know the dog could stay with the father at the house and not go to the farm.

the Schipperke (sp ooops!) is one I had not thought of.

Keeshond. I think the coat would be a bit too much for this family.

Smooth Collie was on my list, but I was not sure what the activity level would be like...

Flat coated retrievers - they are smaller than golden's right? are they more or less bouncy, or more or less working dog type?

I really appreciate all of the time everyone is putting into this thread :)

I think Flat coats are more bouncey but I don't know for sure. Slow to mature I've read?

They didn't want a super energetic dog right? Well from what I've heard 'oodles' can be hyper crazy energetic so they really really don't suit there needs at all.

They live in the city, have a fully fenced yard. They go to "the farm" about 4 times a year. I am not sure what it's like when they go there. For all I know the dog could stay with the father at the house and not go to the farm.

the Schipperke (sp ooops!) is one I had not thought of.

Keeshond. I think the coat would be a bit too much for this family.

Smooth Collie was on my list, but I was not sure what the activity level would be like...

Flat coated retrievers - they are smaller than golden's right? are they more or less bouncy, or more or less working dog type?

I really appreciate all of the time everyone is putting into this thread :)

Collies need a walk and run a day but don't go nuts if they don't get it for a day or two. They do say smooths are a little more active but I think that's more to do with the dog and the line than anything else. I would call them a medium energy breed.