Clippers

rexiam

I have a Cocker Spaniel and am thinking I need to get some clippers to use on him.

They will only be used a few times a year, so I was wondering whats a good brand and will a cheaper one be suitable ?

How much should I be looking at spending?

Hi Rex, I have a cocker too and bought a pair of Wahl clippers for him 6 months ago. I use them about every 6 weeks on him, and so far they have been good. The model is KM-SS, the SS stands for single speed. They also come with the size 10 blade which is the one my breeder recommended for around his head and ears.

I initially was only going to spend about $100 as our vet nurse said they can get some Wahl ones in which are really good? I have no idea of what the model was tho.

I really need to get Ned's ears shaved off. A friend just got her Cocker x poodle groomed and it was $70. I would rather do it myself and the clippers will pay for themselves in the long run.

After reading everyones comments I am thinking I need to go towards $200

I initially was only going to spend about $100 as our vet nurse said they can get some Wahl ones in which are really good? I have no idea of what the model was tho.

I really need to get Ned's ears shaved off. A friend just got her Cocker x poodle groomed and it was $70. I would rather do it myself and the clippers will pay for themselves in the long run.

After reading everyones comments I am thinking I need to go towards $200

Clippers will only pay for themselves if you buy the right ones in the first place.

But remember to groom yourself the blades cost extra,you will need to buy scissors as well so all up we tell our people to budget for $300/$400 for quality items that will lasts many years if used & looked after correctly

I also have the wahl km ss with 10 blade. I clip my guys about once every 8 weeks and they havent missed a beat. I also bought a 5 blade but I hate it as it never stays sharp. I bought mine from a pet shop and paid way to much for them but I need them at the time so I just went with it. They also came with a set of stainless steel guide combs which I love as I can clip as long or short as I want to.

I started out with the $100 wahl show pro clippers they were good but when I got Tully and decided to continue with grooming myself I thought I needed a more sturdier set. My auntie still uses the show pro on her little dog and they are still going strong!!

If you get a decent set they will definatley pay for themselves. I only had to clip my guys a couple of times and mine had paid for themselves.

Go for a good pair, definitely.

I have had a pair of Oster A5's for 2 years now and before that my mum had them for about 8 years.... never had a problem, just regular servicing to keep them in good nick.

We always get our blades sharpened at a place in VIC, rather pay the extra postage and have them come back SHARP, than pay a local place to do a half arsed job.

• 1 month later...