Do Dogs "see" Things That We Don't?

ellz

For me definately...................just after my husband died my old sheppie went & sat right in front of his chair.

So what you say, you know when you scratch a dog right on the "sweet" spot of their chest & they go all gooey??

Tia sat in front of an empty chair, with that expression on her face & then looked straight at me as if to say "he is here"

fwiw :D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh yes. This morning, Archie saw a fluffy white cat from a distance - the that we often see and always makes him jumpy and hisses at him - it was sitting in the gutter and he started carrying on. But to us it looked like a white plastic bag fluttering around. :D
It is interesting how plastic bags morph into fascinating things to be growled at, chased, frightened of, etc etc etc :)
That looks a lot like the cemetery in my town Ellz. I havent been to Lawitta - which part of tassie is it in?

how do they know she's the very first white woman? Just wondering. You probably can't answer that LOL

And yes, NN Mental "asylum" is definitely a "special" place. Only two other places in Tassie so far have given me a similar creepy feeling - Rossarden and parts of the peninsula leading to and around port arthur.

When I visited Tasmania some years ago, I was soooooooo depressed. It was so beautiful, yet has such a dreadful history. Wild horses wouldn't have dragged me to Port Arthur and as for the exhibition showing in Hobart about the Thylacine - well that just about finished me.
...a reaction to unobserved stimuli.
So how can you say, "Absolutely not!!" And then go on to say they are reacting to unobserved stimuli. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

i have a ghost in my house that my dog can "see", and one of the children that used to visit here could also 'see' it.

the first few times it happened, i was sitting on the floor in the loungeroom watching tv, and the dog sat straight up, and wagged tail, and then stopped wagging tail. the child also used to just look up suddenly in exactly the same spot.

i used to freak out, and turn around suddenly thinking someone was standing behind me, just the reactions that the dog and child had

The church....

lawittacemetery9oct10_4.jpg

The back of the churchyard....down there is where Woger "freaked"...

He was probably reacting to whatever that thing in the far left window peeking out is.

OMG You're right! I see it - there's a spooky face there!!!! :cheer:

:) Far left window, far right row two up from the bottom yeah?

I think they can, and it freaks me out.

There is a old bridge in my area I visited twice. First time was the boyfriend and I, the second time with the boyfriend, my two Pointers and I. Both times were lovely days but as soon as we got to a certain area I was in tears and unbelievably depressed (fine once we left too), and the Pointers kept looking at the bridge and then down to the water. It was so strange. :rofl:

Later on, after asking questions to other locals, I found out, years and years ago, someone lost their loved one and jumped... Still freaks me out..

The feelings that came upon me when there...

The church....

The back of the churchyard....down there is where Woger "freaked"...

He was probably reacting to whatever that thing in the far left window peeking out is.

OMG You're right! I see it - there's a spooky face there!!!! :laugh:

:laugh: Far left window, far right row two up from the bottom yeah?

:rofl: Some people see the scary face, some people see the reflections of the trees and clouds. I think it's probably the same for dogs too.

There is a old bridge in my area I visited twice. First time was the boyfriend and I, the second time with the boyfriend, my two Pointers and I. Both times were lovely days but as soon as we got to a certain area I was in tears and unbelievably depressed (fine once we left too), and the Pointers kept looking at the bridge and then down to the water. It was so strange. :)

I certainly take a very scientific view and can always think of a rational explanation for things, but I too have had experiences like this. I had one just recently walking in an area that I always enjoy walking in, but on that particular day I noticed there was something sad about the place. Not heavy or painful, just sad. I walked for two hours through the hills, and the feeling kept coming to me over and over.

As I was walking out, I came across a couple who were walking in with a red bucket. I recognised them, clients of mine. I didn't know, but the land (which is accessible to the public as a right of way, but privately owned) has been in the man's family for three generations and he had grown up there. He was coming to gather some spinning gum, unique to the area, for his father's funeral the next day. Apart from the small farm adjacent to where we walk, the late owner of the land had gathered commercial quantities of firewood in those hills with his father for many years, using horses to cart the wood out and take it to the ferry to feed the factory boilers across the river.

So while I always look for a rational explanation, I do respect that perhaps we are not just bags of meat, only capable of experiencing whatever nervous impulses occur within our bodies.

I believe they do, one of my late rotties used to stare in certain spots of the room and sometimes high up in the corner of the ceilings, just gaze at something as if something was there. Sometimes he would be laying down and he would just get up quickly and stare.

Freaked me out! :eek:

From a scientific perspective:

* I think dogs can see further into the light spectrum (more towards infra red) than we can

* Their sense of smell is far better - maybe a fox or other animal scent produced this result

* Dogs are also meant to be more sensitive to changes in air pressure and to ground vibration than us

So he might have been reacting to something you couldn't perceive.

Then again, stories abound about animals having a better percpetion of the paranormal than we do. :eek:

Pepper sometimes jumps up suddenly or runs around our lounge room with her tail between her legs looking distressed. It has crossed my mind that maybe she senses something paranormal that we don't, but I'm also willing to accept that she's been disturbed by a buzzing insect or something on the TV. :D

Who knows!? I like to keep an open mind.

That looks a lot like the cemetery in my town Ellz. I havent been to Lawitta - which part of tassie is it in?

how do they know she's the very first white woman? Just wondering. You probably can't answer that LOL

And yes, NN Mental "asylum" is definitely a "special" place. Only two other places in Tassie so far have given me a similar creepy feeling - Rossarden and parts of the peninsula leading to and around port arthur.

I always get the heebie jeebies at Port Arthur. A couple of years ago I had a friend staying from interstate and we took her to PA for the ghost tour. We were wandering around at Twilight, and I heard footsteps following me out of one of the houses. This was great except for I was the last one in there and there was no one else around...

I refuse to go to Willow Court - too awful. I love old cemetaries though. There is one near our house and I've quite often walked Anouk there. She's never reacted , so I guess there are no unquiet spirits!

Edited by Mollie10

I agree with PF's post - you just need to read accounts of animal behaviour in the lead up to the recent earthquake in NZ - how animals can 'predict' them coming and certainly, we used to see odd behaviour in our animals on the day of an earthquake.

Danois - I believe thats more to do with being attuned to nature and having more "senses" than the five we normally think of. I took a course once with a mob connected to the UN relating to something called ecopsychology. That course is based on the notion that as humans we have lost many of the senses we used to have although we actually use more than we realise.

So animals who havent "evolved" away from nature have more senses than we do and can predict natural events that we don't see coming and sense more around them than we do. Not supernatural - but just more natural (tho I don't rule out the supernatural either). But according to the ecopsych people we can "awaken" at least some of those senses in ourselves.

When the Tsunami hit Bali and other areas there was a tribe of people living on an island out there somewhere who had never had any significant contact with the rest of the world (actually there were several of these communities but I just want to say something about this one particular one). Everyone feared this community had all perished in the Tsunami because their island was tiny and right in it's path. When searchers went to the island it was deserted and all their belongings etc were gone. BUT a few days later the entire community returned. They had predicted the tsunami and hightailed it out of there in boats days before the Tsunami hit. I saw them being interviewed later with an interpreter and they were mildly surprised that people were astonished that they knew it was coming.

I think the animal kingdom is amazing and it doesnt matter whether its a sixth sense or extra sensory perception. In north queensland we often get articles in the paper of studies done on various animals and they tell us what sort of flooding/wet season/cyclones we can expect.

depending on which way you look at it, this year is going to be the biggest wet season ever, as all the crocodiles are building their nests way higher than they have ever done before, the black ants have never been seen where they are building their nests, the birds have gone all funny, so there must be something there, that two to three months before our wet season, these animals are doing what they are doing (by the way they are never wrong - as is the mock orange that comes out in flowers two days before rain - the more flowers the more rain)

I refuse to go to Willow Court - too awful. I love old cemetaries though. There is one near our house and I've quite often walked Anouk there. She's never reacted , so I guess there are no unquiet spirits!

What is willow court?

Sorry to ask but I am always very curious about this sort of thing.

What is willow court?

Sorry to ask but I am always very curious about this sort of thing.

Willow Court is the old Asylum in New Norfolk!