Monkeys Stolen From Zoo, Brisbane

*Avanti*

Sorry to post another grim thread but I'm hoping it might help them to be found even if by some prayers for them.

I hope the idiots that did this may come to their senses and return them.

The female is pregnant and due to give birth any day. :confused:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/10/10/3034154.htm

Grave fears for monkeys stolen from zoo

Posted 3 hours 27 minutes ago

The stolen female is due to give birth any day now. (Alma Park Zoo )

Two highly endangered monkeys have been stolen from a wildlife park north of Brisbane.

It is believed offenders cut their way in to Alma Park Zoo last night and took the tiny cotton top tamarins - a small monkey found in Central and South America.

Manager Gary Connell says the male and pregnant female were part of an international breeding program and he is concerned for their safety.

"They've got little needle sharp teeth but they're not wild in as far as if they were loose they wouldn't be a threat to the public," he said.

"They're only about 500 grams each so they're only tiny."

Mr Connell says Tonto and Conchetta need special care to survive in Brisbane's climate.

"The biggest thing is if they're out in the open air environment this wet weather will kill them," he said.

"They're a tropical monkey that need warmth and we have their enclosures normally warmed.

"The female is heavily pregnant and she's due to give birth any day now."

But Mr Connell says the stress of their kidnapping could cause the pregnant female to miscarry.

He says it is unknown how many babies she is carrying, but the cotton top tamarins usually give birth to twins.

Edited by LabTested

Yep, marmosets and cotton top tamarins in June.... http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/01/2914892.htm

then 7 were found (poor little #8, no news at all with that little one)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/03/2916716.htm

It's cold and rainy here today, I hope the poor little buggers are at least warm and comfortable.

Edited by Boronia

I wish the media could put some 'breaking news' on the TV/radio to plea for the return of the female explaining how serious it is for her; to somehow encourage a safe return. Whoever has her, if she is still alive, is likely to panic now that the male has died.

So sad that an endangered species isn't even safe here. :):laugh:

Edited by LabTested

Bastards!!! :laugh::laugh::rofl:

RIP Tonto! :)

I'm also concerned that this is at least the 5th time in as many years that Alma Park Zoo has been broken into. Security is seriously lacking at that place.

If you read the news reports its not just Alma Park Zoo thats getting hit!

Gorgeous monkeys, poor harmless little things. Just makes you wonder what the human race is coming to. Shame the morons doing this are not an endangered species, unfortunately I think they are proliferating at a fast rate.

Marion01

Bastards!!! :laugh::laugh::rofl:

RIP Tonto! :)

I'm also concerned that this is at least the 5th time in as many years that Alma Park Zoo has been broken into. Security is seriously lacking at that place.

If you read the news reports its not just Alma Park Zoo thats getting hit!

I'm well aware of the other news reports, but this topic is about Alma Park Zoo so reports about other zoos is irrelevant here.

STUPID STUPID STUPID moronic waste-of-space people

Yes,morans for sure.........I hope they bite & scratch the culprits to pieces & that the female got away & is found safe...real soon,no matter what security it probably would not stop idiots,although I'm sure they will have to make sure it is more secure for all the animals in their care,makes me feel quite ill & angry.And if by chance they are caught what is the punishment $200 fine,great deterant I must say.