Preston Grandmother Watches In Horror As Her Pet Dog Is Attacked

westielover

http://www.news.com.au/national/preston-gr...r-1225938710422

AN 89-year-old grandmother watched in horror as two dogs ripped out her west highland white terrier's stomach in the Melbourne suburb of Preston this morning.

Council workers are now hunting for the dogs, believed to be huskies, which attacked this morning as May Anderson was leaving her Gower St home to take her dog Hamish for a walk about 7.40am, the Herald Sun said.

"I turned to lock the door and I heard Hamish squeal, and when I turned around this big dog was attacking him,'' she said.

"They tore his whole stomach out.

"They just threw Hamish in the air and I knew he was gone.''

The 14-year-old dog's blood is still all over Mrs Anderson's front yard.

Mrs Anderson said she was powerless to stop her treasured friend from being killed.

"If I had stepped in, the other one would have attacked me and at my age, I couldn't fight them off, I'd be dead,'' she said.

"Hamish never had a chance.''

The dogs, described by Mrs Anderson as "grey and white alsatians'', but which the council now believes are huskies, escaped around the corner into Sapphire St but have not been located.

After the attack, the frightened grandmother escaped to her neighbours, who put Hamish in a box.

"She had to put him in a plastic bag because the flies were already getting to him,'' Mrs Anderson said.

"I can't bear to look at the box with him lying there.''

Darebin Council Director of City Work Michael Ballock said animal control officers and local law officers were searching Preston to find the dogs.

“We have received conflicting descriptions of the dogs, but we believe both dogs are Husky breed, rather than German Shepherds, as reported earlier this morning,'' Mr Ballock said.

“Our primary concern this morning has been to get the dogs under control.''

“We believe neither dog wore a collar or lead, and believe the animals have escaped from the backyard of a residence.''

Council officers have taken the terrier's body from Mrs Anderson's home.

“We have launched an investigation and will retain the body to use as evidence, as part of a prosecution case against the owners.''

The Council has urged anyone who sees the dogs should contact Darebin Council Animal Management on 8470 8468.

How heartbreaking :rofl::laugh:

RIP Hamish :rofl:

Edited by westielover

UPDATE 3.45pm: TWO Siberian huskies blamed for fatally tearing apart a grandmother's west highland terrier have been captured by the council.

An 89-year-old grandmother watched in horror as two dogs ripped out her west highland white terrier's stomach in Preston early this morning.

Council officers found the dogs at a Preston home at 1.30pm after a tip-off from a woman who passing them in the street and saw blood on one of the animals.

Darebin Council mayor Vince Fontana said the dogs had been impounded and taken to the Lost Dogs Home in Melbourne.

“One dog is registered with the council, while the second dog is unregistered,'' Cr Fontana said

“With the owner's consent, Darebin Council collected Hamish's body from her property earlier this morning,'' Cr Fontana said.

“We have launched an investigation and will retain the body to use as evidence, as part of a prosecution case against the owners.

“Its now up to the courts to decide the fate of the Siberian Huskies.’’

Oh no, another horrible story of an innocent dog being killed. It's like a replay of my dear friend in Hoppers Crossing whose four, yes four Shelties were killed last year after being ripped apart by the next door neighbours two Huskies who broke under the side fence to do it. Three adults and a pup, her little kennel wiped out. I feel sick to my stomach. That poor wee dog, I cannot come close to how his owner must feel I am so, so very sorry for her.

There is obviously a type of people who buy Huskies who have no idea of what care and management they need and innocent others have to pay for it.

R.I.P dear Hamish :(

Oh no, another horrible story of an innocent dog being killed. It's like a replay of my dear friend in Hoppers Crossing whose four, yes four Shelties were killed last year after being ripped apart by the next door neighbours two Huskies who broke under the side fence to do it. Three adults and a pup, her little kennel wiped out. I feel sick to my stomach. That poor wee dog, I cannot come close to how his owner must feel I am so, so very sorry for her.

There is obviously a type of people who buy Huskies who have no idea of what care and management they need and innocent others have to pay for it.

R.I.P dear Hamish :(

How sad for your friend and her dogs. :)

I couldn't agree more hollee - too many get them (huskies) as a material item - as something to show off. They haven't a clue about the actual breed. :)

:) It brings it all back every time I read of another little dog getting killed in a dog attack. Now what's the bet the owners get a slap on the wrist and get their dogs back as per usual.

My heart goes out to this poor lady and I know from my experience that you never get over seeing you're beloved pet killed in front of your eyes no matter how many years pass.

RIP Hamish. :)

I feel for the poor old lady. A pup I bred was attacked brutally in the street as my father-in-law walked her a few years back, but nothing was ever done. (Our pup survived, but carries the scars and limp to this day.)

I don't think it's something you ever get over.

We (as a society) need to get much tougher on what happens to the offenders - and I don't mean the dogs.

Sonia

I feel for the poor old lady. A pup I bred was attacked brutally in the street as my father-in-law walked her a few years back, but nothing was ever done. (Our pup survived, but carries the scars and limp to this day.)

I don't think it's something you ever get over.

We (as a society) need to get much tougher on what happens to the offenders - and I don't mean the dogs.

Sonia

I couldn't agree more HH, the owners of these dogs need to have the book thrown at them.

I feel so sorry for that lovely old woman and her dear little Westie Hamish...what a shocking way for him to die.

I believe only one of the Huskies did the attacking and killing...so I don't think it is right that both dogs should lose their lives. But the owner/s on the other hand need to feel the full force of the law for their irresponsibilty and stupidity !

Poor dear lady, poor dear little dog, now deceased

Owner of the attack dogs should be found, prosecuted and fined. Not the usual ridiculously tiny amount, some thousands.....enough to make him more careful. Both dogs should be euthanased. It was a pack attack, and matters not which one did the biting.

The owner of the attacked dog should receive sufficient compensation to buy another dog, and for psychological trauma.

Untill bogans get the message that it is not satisfactory for their dogs to be killing everything in sight, things will never improve and little dogs will never be able to walk the streets in safety - unless their owners take revolvers with them to deter attacking dogs.

Happens all too often. Every week, another attack makes the papers. How many dont?

That is just heartbreaking....can't help to think what if it was your dog and how that would feel :):party:

Poor lady, thats a memory that won't escape her mind. I hope she is ok poor dear. Sad way for a dogs life to end this is just so sad :party:

Bugger the fate of the huskies....

I want to see them go after their OWNER/S!!!!!

Once again friggin iresponsible owners.Had no idea Huskies were like this,hope the fence never falls down next to me where 2 reside.

I wonder if someone perhaps from some rescue could give this poor soul a small white dog that is older? Not now but soon....time to grieve atm for Hamish. :party: