Have You Ever Got It Right 100%

Dust Angel

So i was at dog training today and i was wondering has anyone got it 100% right, have your brought up a dog that has zero bad habits or issues?

Obviously im not talking about rescues or mature dogs. Have you ever raised a dog from a pup that is obedient with no problems? Is it a common thing? I guess i would define bad habits as the basics food aggression, pulls when walking, whines/whinges/barks when crated or waiting for something, counter surfers etc.

I know there are members here who have done REMARKABLE things with mature dogs/rescues etc Shell and Zero spring immediately to mind. For those people, is there anything else you would improve in your dog or do you think that they are 100% successfully rehabbed?

Alternatively do you think that this is something that may be subjective - something that you find acceptable with your dog (leading you to think you have a dog with no bad habits or issues) would be unacceptable for another dog owner?

If you have id love to hear about it and if you have managed it with every dog. If not what will you change with your next dog?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish :D

I have had a Lab that was pretty close to 100% ( well i think she was )

She was obedience trained, always walked on a loose lead, good recall (except when she knew she was in trouble, then she had the best down stay ) not food aggression (anyone could take food from her mouth) never stole food from the kitchen or the other dogs, loved her time in her crate, loved car rides but would whine due to excitement when we arrived at shows, was never a barker

but

boy could she dig, i should have hired her out for excavation work :laugh:

I guess it all comes down to what you think is bad about the behaviour. I don't think there is such a thing as perfect, humans are always finding fault in something.

Edited by Lab lady

Yep, Moon.

Oh, except for the afraid of moths thing. And the barking at sky writers. And how she attacks herself when she hears videos of wolves howling.

And how she farts after smelling eggs cooking.

And how...

Ugh.

Okay, she's not 100%.

It comes down to what behaviour you are happy with.

Some people would think a dog on the couch or bed is totally unacceptable, some people won't even allow the dog inside the house.

Obviously some people have no problem with letting their dogs yap all day or bark continuosly at the park.

My old dog didn't do any of those things you have listed as bad habits.

The new pup has tried a few of those thing (not food aggression) but no longer does these anymore.

Nope...

Sally - begs, screams at the door when she's on the wrong side, which is always, pees inside (but she is 16 years old...)

Meg - barks a lot (but not constantly), hates Saluki bitches.

Arella - howls a lot (but not constantly), gets on the bed, hates Kelpie bitches.

Moss - whinges... a lot!, pees on stuff... tools, crates, boxes (well, put them away!!) & occasionally, James!! :laugh:

Tom - hates Moss, but loves all other dogs, barks a lot, gets on the bed.

Zoom - ummm... dammit - he's perfect!! :D

...Yep!! :D

Yep I have but I don't class breed characteristics as bad habbits.

Interesting, where do you draw the line between breed characteristics and something other?

Is this something that you consistently achieve with each and every dog? ( hope this doesn't come across as smart arse i am genuinely interested :D)

Yep, Moon.

Oh, except for the afraid of moths thing. And the barking at sky writers. And how she attacks herself when she hears videos of wolves howling.

And how she farts after smelling eggs cooking.

And how...

Ugh.

Okay, she's not 100%.

:laugh: Attacks her self when she hears wolfs howling - wow!

I agree, i do think that what is acceptable for one owner may not be acceptable to another, but i am also interested in what as an individual would deem 100% right. The list i put up of course isn't fully inclusive, just a few of the more common bad habits.

To me my dogs are pretty good. They walk well on the lead, they know all the basic commands and some more complex ones. I of course adore them :D but when i think about a situation where if they were for any reason required to live with someone else (obviously not going to happen unless me and my family are killed!) would they find the little things i accept, unaccepatable?

For example Flute is the best (or worst) Bench Surfer EVER and is the most opportunistic thief i have come across. She know's its wrong and if you stumble across her when she is in the middle of a heist she will drop the offending object and run and hide in her crate without you having to say a word or change any sort of body language. She also will destroy any and all toothbrushes and handmade coat hangers she comes across. These are things i am working on as an ongoing project but it makes me wonder if she would achieve another home or fit in elsewhere if the need arose.

Edited by Dust Angel

Yep, i have one ,and i think he must be a broken dally, or just pure luck on my part :D

He has never been a chewer, barker, puller.

He is rock solid with other dogs, will tell off a pup if it leaps all over him, has taught many fosters.But will avoid conflict.

He is outside most of the time, i can leave the back door open and he won't come in.

He has brilliant recall.

He is tolerant of most things.

He will bark if anyone comes near the house.

He has started to come in and sleep, and he surfes the kitchen floor for scraps, then heads to his bed and nods off .

I can honestly say he is and always has been very easy, he is now 10. :laugh:

( Won't mention he hates cats :D )

post-3531-1287294487_thumb.jpg

Umm no! That would be like trying to raise the perfect child :D . It's never going to happen because no living creature is "perfect" :D

Wasnt actually asking about perfect :laugh: Just no bad habits etc. I am interested to find out what one persons view of this is compared to others.

Dusty's near on perfect except she hates my sons with an absolute passion that she reserves only for them. I have no idea, other than maybe it's because they are big and kiss and hug me when they see me, and she takes that as a threat but my god, she lets them know she's not happy with their behaviour.

Edited by GayleK

I can't remember ever telling my old girl Fern off. She was super well behaved. Brock is a great pet and I doubt anyone would have any issues with him. Manners wise he is pretty perfect. Fails totally as a sporting dog though.

Mickey isn't known as 'motor mouth' for nothing :D and he does like his share of my bed, lucky he's small. Abby would be perfect except when she's with her pal Mickey then she has to be in what ever mischief he's into. They really haven't any bad 'habits' but they can find all sorts of mischief to get into.

I know there are members here who have done REMARKABLE things with mature dogs/rescues etc Shell and Zero spring immediately to mind. For those people, is there anything else you would improve in your dog or do you think that they are 100% successfully rehabbed?

Alternatively do you think that this is something that may be subjective - something that you find acceptable with your dog (leading you to think you have a dog with no bad habits or issues) would be unacceptable for another dog owner?

Awww shucks :laugh:

I don't think Zero will ever be 100% successfully rehabbed. But he's at a very workable level and I can only see us going up from here as he learns new things and is exposed to new situations, people and dogs. For example, there is a running joke in my family about making a fence from old broken down lawn mowers. He won't go anywhere near them, even if they're not running. I could space them 10 metres apart and he won't go between them. He's getting better but it's probably going to be a lifelong fear for him, or at least something that he's very wary of. It's all about management with him and making sure he doesn't have bad experiences. I can immediately tell if he's not going to like another dog (i don't expect him to like every dog) and which dogs he will be absolutely fine with so I will allow him to see the dogs he won't like from a distance (or put him in his crate, where he is absolutely fine with any dog approaching) and try and work with him so he'll be able to get to a level where he will accept them.

I can guarantee you that my next dog won't be 100% either - and the things I like to teach my dog won't be what other people would. I plan on training the puppy in drive so she/he won't have any food manners at all. In fact, he/she will be actively taught to try and get food from my hands. It's perfect for what I would want him/her to do but not so ideallic for someone who is all about the puppy zen. :D

Yes......He was an accidental breeding from a Guide dog sire and a Tervueren......Josh was the most incredible dog we ever owned. He was born trained. I am not sure why, but he just understood everything. he was gentle and strong. he loved all living creatures. And when he once got into a fight with an aggressive Blue heeler, we recalled him out of it, even though the dog continued to fight with him.

he swam and "rescued" people. he did bite someone once, the person did not report the quick-bite he received from Josh. Two weeks later we learned this man was a pedophile and when Josh bit him he was with two young boys, it came out of no where and we were extremely concerned at the time. it happened whilst we were visiting a friend.

Josh had the most amazing re-call and was just gorgeous and sooooo obedient. I still miss him, even though he died of an anaphylactic shock (horse wormer tube) at the age of ten in 1990. the sweetest boy ever..........

My MIL's dog is probably about 99% perfect. She's a failed guide dog and the reason she failed is that she's a dreadful thief. She can't be trusted around food at all, which is a big no-no for a guide dog. Apart from that, though, she's a fantastic dog - attentive, bomb-proof with kids, etc.

I had a Bull Terrier x that grew into, IMO, the perfect dog. Once he was over his youthful habits of eating and destroying everything in his path, he was a fantastic dog. He was never going to be an obedience champ, but he was a lovely family dog who was a complete pleasure to have around.