All These Dol Rants.....

DerRottweiler

Hi everyone,

This is a bit of a rant, but of a different kind.

How many threads do you find in this section, ranting and whinging about:

- People wanted to buy DD dogs or dogs from petshops.

- People wanting to breed their own dogs, because they want a similar pup, or because their friends and family want a a dog just like that.

- People having poor control over their dogs.

- People having poor control over their children when approaching dogs.

I'd just like to say, you all live in a 'dog bubble'. You know all the above is wrong, but other people genuinely have no idea. They honestly do not know better.

It isn't a case of them being evil, or thinking they are professionals of some sort, rather, a case of lacking knowledge.

Rather than having a sook and complaining every 5 seconds, perhaps spend 5 mins educating someone who isn't that dog savvy, it would go a long way.

I know my opinion is never popular, but I am just making an observation.

Thanks,

DR.

:laugh: I think people come onto DOL for different reasons - some people want to whinge, some people want advice, some people want to chat, some people want to share photos etc etc. As long as the thread is well-labelled, I'm generally not fussed about the ranting/whinging threads and will dip in and read as the spirit moves me.

For my part, I like using DOL for advice from more experienced people and I enjoy chatting about funny things/things I enjoy about having a dog rather than the things that annoy me about my dog/other people so will usually stick to such threads, but I do read a lot of the 'I am annoyed' threads so make sure I try to avoid behaviours that annoy other dog owners. :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear

Ever heard of the saying "there's a fool born every minute"? See.. if that were the case, the world wouldn't be in such strife. That would be terrific actually. The problem lies with the fact that there are hundreds of fools born every minute, and while there are people who will take time out of their day to lecture these people only to have their information fall on deaf, ignorant ears, there are some who are just damned tired of explaining.

You're right, the majority of people have no idea. But, its not always that easy to educate them either.

I've had the same discussion with my sister many times, she is always wanting to breed her mongrel dogs to some friend's dog or some guy down the road's dog, she had two 'litters' with a staffy she used to own before it was 18 months old (one on her first season, one on her second) and when I say 'litter' it was only one pup each time. She has no idea where either of the pups are now. The mother had terrible mange which was worse when she was pregnant, to the point that she had almost no hair at the end. The pups were both just as bad. And now she is talking about getting a pedigree staffy because she thinks she will make more money from it when she breeds it with her BIL's staffy cross :laugh:

And when I try to explain to her why she is doing the wrong thing, talk about health testing etc etc I get told I'm a "stupid paranoid idiot" for thinking that breeding should be left to the experts.

Educating people is not that easy, especially when most people like to think they know better than everyone.

DerRottweiler

- People wanting to breed their own dogs, because they want a similar pup, or because their friends and family want a a dog just like that.

I am a repeat offender for Rant No. 3

I deal with it at the time but it's very cathartic to rant to a sympathetic audience. Misery loves company. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

Yep, i had a 5 month old GSD come charging over to me last week, young girl had no control over it at all, i had to stop for her to catch it, and it started to hump my cattle boy much to his annoyance.

I was very friendly, asked her about him, then gently said she might want to be careful who she lets him run up to, as not many people would feel happy about a gsd charging upto them.

I try to be nice to people, always gets a better response :laugh:

i was young and niaeve too once, and thought just because my dog was friendly it was ok, i now know differently.

Hi everyone,

This is a bit of a rant, but of a different kind.

How many threads do you find in this section, ranting and whinging about:

I'd just like to say, you all live in a 'dog bubble'. You know all the above is wrong, but other people genuinely have no idea. They honestly do not know better.

It isn't a case of them being evil, or thinking they are professionals of some sort, rather, a case of lacking knowledge.

Rather than having a sook and complaining every 5 seconds, perhaps spend 5 mins educating someone who isn't that dog savvy, it would go a long way.

I know my opinion is never popular, but I am just making an observation.

Thanks,

DR.

How about pointless rants like yours? :eek:

Oh yeahh. Strangers LOVE being lectured! :eek:

It is all in the delivery, be stealthy about it. You want to lecture, without them realising they are being lectured.

Yeah all jokes aside I do try to do this, in the kind of "this happened to me once and I learnt this from it" sorta way, if I'm in a position to do so.

Thought DOL was all about meningless rants and threads???

What else would the members on here do, oh yeah have lives :wave::love:

How educate someone againest buying a DD... its about the delivery, a cattle prod should fix em!!! :eek:

:eek: Der

Yep, i had a 5 month old GSD come charging over to me last week, young girl had no control over it at all, i had to stop for her to catch it, and it started to hump my cattle boy much to his annoyance.

I was very friendly, asked her about him, then gently said she might want to be careful who she lets him run up to, as not many people would feel happy about a gsd charging upto them.

I try to be nice to people, always gets a better response :wave:

i was young and niaeve too once, and thought just because my dog was friendly it was ok, i now know differently.

This is the right way to go about it :eek:

I was just unknowledgable once (I know a lot of people who are) and I do agree with DR that some people here don't realise that there ARE people out there that don't know much but will try there best. I am talking about people who have a go at people less knowledge over some basic and small.

Some of us do both - try and educate in public and rant occasionally on here. They aren't mutually exclusive. The rants to an understanding audience just vent some frustration in a harmless way.

Plenty of people do know better by the way. Knowledge isn't all it takes to change behaviour. If only it were that easy!

Edited by Diva

I've learnt heaps from other peoples rants..

It's far less confronting and easier to learn from rants about other people than to be ranted at directly :laugh:

For every person that posts on these forums theres probably 100 that just read.

Its difficult to comprehend how much I've learnt just from reading

Kudos DOLers, rant away! :D

I think the rants are great. If you dont like them - dont read them. I read yours, Rottie, so obviously I like reading rants :D

:laugh:

I did have the "privilege" of "educating" some feral kids while I was waiting outside the vet surgery last week.

Does that count? I think one out of the three DID actually listen. :rofl:

I agree with one of the OP's comments - DOL is a dog owners bubble - the majority here have consistent values and views on dog ownership. appropriate behaviour etc but what people tend to forget is that this is just ONE way and is not necessarily the right way.

For example - so what if your colleague/ cousin/ neighbour wants to get a cross bred dog - yes, we'd all prefer they went to a registered breeder but if they want to get a cross breed from the pet shop then that's their choice and not your business.

I think some people lose perspective.

I think the thing is we here are pretty much dog nuts. We might go to work and have a fit about some off lead dog that jumped on our on lead dog in an on lead area. Chances are we will be met with blank looks. We might have pounced on people outside pet shops and ranted about puppy farms. Some innocent person might have asked us a question about training fido and got a 2 hour lecture. We have spent ages being 'weird'. Here we can go on these rants and other members get it. That is a big relief. I'm on a horse forum, for some reason pretty much every dog subject shits me to tears because the majority of people there don't get it.

Ranting on here doesn't mean people aren't actually educating either. Sometimes it is just nice to bitch with like minded people.

Of course if no one agrees with me, I am the only nutter! :eek: