Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Let Their Dogs Take A Public Dump?

~Shepherd~

I let my dogs out into the backyard to go to the toilet before I take them for a walk and this seems to work well enough, they understand why they're being let out and we don't go anywhere until they're finished.

That said, I'm also one of those mean owners who won't allow their dog to urinate on other people's front fences or on power poles to leave urine all over the footpath- in my opinion, walks shouldn't be toilet trips (unless the dog actually needs to go- and you can usually tell the difference), it's about exercise and practising handling, exposure to traffic/new people/other dogs, etc.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

never considered even trying to stop them, but i have done the drag along thing b4 :D

I have taught Chops to wee wee on comand, b4 he goes in ring . In fact after was abused for him peeing on a nature strip of some blokes house , I told him to do so every time I passed there :laugh: [Had he not been so rude i'd never have done that normally ] :rofl:

I told him to do so every time I passed there :D [Had he not been so rude i'd never have done that normally ] :laugh:

Apologies if this sounds a little snarky but.. do you think that's appropriate and resonsible behaviour?

The owner of the house might've been rude but it's a little childish to retaliate in such a manner and will likely only further colour that man's views of dog owners in general.

I told him to do so every time I passed there :D [Had he not been so rude i'd never have done that normally ] :laugh:

Apologies if this sounds a little snarky but.. do you think that's appropriate and resonsible behaviour?

The owner of the house might've been rude but it's a little childish to retaliate in such a manner and will likely only further colour that man's views of dog owners in general.

no it probably didn't help, but it made me feel better , was a childish response and i only did it for a while, didn't go past there ALL the time . Dont think anything would have made him think worse of any1 , had seen him telling off ppl because the kids were doing god know what to offend him , just a grumpy old man

You don't see guide dogs just randomly toileting LOL

That would be because they are fed a specific amount of food, at specific times of the day, each day and every day, so their owners can time it and teach them to work to a schedule.

Although, I don't know how many people in this thread own a working guide dog, so I can't understand why anyone would 'not allow' their dog to toilet in public? :D Unless, as someone said, it's in an unsafe place, or in an inappropriate place...

That said, I'm also one of those mean owners who won't allow their dog to urinate on other people's front fences or on power poles to leave urine all over the footpath- in my opinion, walks shouldn't be toilet trips (unless the dog actually needs to go- and you can usually tell the difference), it's about exercise and practising handling, exposure to traffic/new people/other dogs, etc.

I agree in that regard at least.

Pretty much, without fail, Lottie does a number 2 on her walks - I don't think it's a big deal at all, I just take bags with me, clean up and put it in the rubbish - I'm out in the country as well, so not many people around and no paths to walk on, it's usually just out in the paddocks - and yep, I still pick up after her!!! I've done the 'ah' noise and drag her to a more appropriate spot as well though :eek: , but I would never stop her from going if she needs too!!

That would be because they are fed a specific amount of food, at specific times of the day, each day and every day, so their owners can time it and teach them to work to a schedule.

Although, I don't know how many people in this thread own a working guide dog, so I can't understand why anyone would 'not allow' their dog to toilet in public? :) Unless, as someone said, it's in an unsafe place, or in an inappropriate place...

I'm a guide dog puppy raiser :(

I was merely making a point that it can be done though...

If i was a jogger though, i wouldn't want my dog pooing on runs. Then i'd have to pick it up and have it jangling in my hand until we find a bin :eek:

I hate it when people just chuck out their poo in other peoples bins. Its not a big deal if they're full and about to be collected, but people don't want to bring a just emptied bin in, only to find a bag of poo sitting in the bottom, which will be left to rot there for the next week and stink out the bin every time they open it, unless they fish it out :(

Although, I don't know how many people in this thread own a working guide dog, so I can't understand why anyone would 'not allow' their dog to toilet in public? :) Unless, as someone said, it's in an unsafe place, or in an inappropriate place...

If i was a jogger though, i wouldn't want my dog pooing on runs. Then i'd have to pick it up and have it jangling in my hand until we find a bin :eek:

I hate it when people just chuck out their poo in other peoples bins. Its not a big deal if they're full and about to be collected, but people don't want to bring a just emptied bin in, only to find a bag of poo sitting in the bottom, which will be left to rot there for the next week and stink out the bin every time they open it, unless they fish it out :(

My dogs poos dont stink out my own bin? I bag it, tie it and bin it. No mess, no smell?

My dogs poos dont stink out my own bin? I bag it, tie it and bin it. No mess, no smell?

Mine do! HAhah I should say Mindy's do, sound slike i put my own poo into a bin LOL

I have a separate poo bin!

don't you think its rude to chuck dog poo into someones private bin?

Edited by aussielover

I hate it when people just chuck out their poo in other peoples bins. Its not a big deal if they're full and about to be collected, but people don't want to bring a just emptied bin in, only to find a bag of poo sitting in the bottom, which will be left to rot there for the next week and stink out the bin every time they open it, unless they fish it out :)

Mine do! HAhah I should say Mindy's do, sound slike i put my own poo into a bin LOL

I have a separate poo bin!

don't you think its rude to chuck dog poo into someones private bin?

My post did say "my own bin" but I suppose I wouldn't find it too rude if I put a tied up little bag of poop in someone's bin, especially seeing as though I've picked up other people's dog poo while picking up my own. I'm sure the person would much rather me pick up two poos from the front of their yard and pop them in their bin, then pick up only my own and walk off. :(

Like RTG ours are all show dogs and I want them to learn to pee and poo on the lead. There is nothing worse than taking a dog away for a weekend and it not doing its business. For me the public bit is a non-issue, no-one is going to die because they saw a dog take a crap.

The spot they do it, sure, I wouldn't let my dog crap on something important but I don't walk my dog through graveyards or over commemorative plaques or anywhere else it would be inappropriate for them to go as a general rule.

As for marking, my rule is not on other people's property. They can mark nature strip trees, but not cars, fences, gazebos or anything else that belongs to another individual.

Now that I think of it, it doesn't seem very civilised to walk around with giant bags of poo. Especially if you have to wave to passers-by.

I don't get giant bags. :)

you would if you had a great dane LOL

These are the times when I'm glad I own a small dog :eek:

I've seen smaller dogs leave bigger piles than my dane does.

I have no issues with him pooing on a walk - like PF said, exercise stimulates the gut so I expect it and carry bags. I'd rather he did it while we're out on a walk and I can dump the bag in the park bin as opposed to having to do poo patrol in the yard and then having bags of poo in my wheelie bin.

I don't know why people find it weird/unkind that people do try and minimise the likelihood of dogs going in public

I have seen dog owners drag their dogs on when the dog tries to stop and poo .... I think that is unkind and shows a lack of understanding of a dog.

I tried to stop Charch in the middle of Acland St once but failed ;)

Cake anyone..? :(

Mmmm he must be related to my Lacy :eek: We were heading to dog zone in Richmond and stopped for coffee in Bridge road and here is my little miss all dressed up for her dog date and away she goes, but in her defence we had had a very long car trip and there was no grass in site so she didn't have much of a choice!

I don't think anyone in their right mind would try and stop a dog that really needs to go

I don't know why people find it weird/unkind that people do try and minimise the likelihood of dogs going in public

Minimising is one thing, I think most dog owners do subconciously do that. Trying to completely STOP a normal bodily function is another altogether.

Sheesh, I know what I'd like to do to somebody who stops me from going to the lav when I need to. Mr Ellz has tried once and I threatened to take his head off and poo in the hole!! ;)

:( Thats hilarious

This is a real timely thread, I just posted this in another thread the other day

"We have a gross problem at the moment, 3 times this week there has been someone walking past our place with their dog and letting it toilet on our footpath out the front, and 3 times it has been the length of our block 22m that's a long poo. Twice we have been able to pick it up but tonight no way it was like full on mush the whole length again! I said to Sean we should laminate a sign of some sort and stick it to the fence. I would say the dog is doing it while the owner just drags it along and it's definatley not a small dog. I tell ya there is going to be agro if they are caught in the act. Is there such a thing as dog poop rage."

I couldn't care less if a dog poops on our lawn but for god sake pick it up at the very least, I woudn't even care if they came down our driveway and put it on our bin.

Mine will wee on command but as for number 2 if they gotta go they gotta go, never really thought about making them stop, apart from occasionally if we are on foot path and they indicate they wanna go I will find a patch of grass for them. We don't do a lot of on lead walking so I don't have to worry about it too much. They will toilet on lead if they have to, they learnt they had to do this from an early because we do long trips in the car and there isn't always off lead areas to let them go.

Funny thread!! :)

My guys generally prefer to go at home except for Zoe who prefers to go on walks. When we are out all day at trials or away for the weekend it is handy to know they will go on lead - I found it very stressful when I took Diesel away for the weekend and he didn't go the first day as he can be stressy. I am glad Kaos is not so stressy, and also quite predictable as to when he will go. It is good to know you can take them out and tell them to go - and they do - so you don't have to worry about them doing it at a bad time (like in the ring).