Puppy-mill Turned Kennel?

HeavyPaws

Moselle:
If they are too lazy to remove the sign long after the pups are gone is an indication that perhaps they are too lazy to look after the dogs adequately...

Well all I can say is if people are judging my dog husbandry by my inclination to garden, I shall await the arrival of an RSPCA inspector shortly. My weeds can only be described as spectacular. :laugh:

But I am gardening tomorrow - I promise :cheer:

I did say "perhaps"....lol...

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is to say that they're just a tad lazy and leave the signs out long after the pups are sold, so it seems there are lots of puppies for sale.

Although I understand why you might feel concern, you are barking up a tree of assumptions based on your emotional reaction to what you perceive is wrong.

Assumptions and predjudices are dangerous. Unless you have evidence of cruelty or neglect, leave it alone.

If they are too lazy to remove the sign long after the pups are gone is an indication that perhaps they are too lazy to look after the dogs adequately...besides which...would you want to be hassled by people dropping by wanting to buy a pup when you no longer have any? or is it convenient for the simple reason that their name can be jotted down in preparation for the very next litter which may be just around the corner?

Wow, that's an assumption if I've ever heard one.

I am too lazy sometimes to make vacuum my floors, does that mean in your eyes I am too lazy to look after my dogs adequately. :laugh:

Again, your idea of 'people dropping by and hassling to buy a pup' is an assumption in two ways - 1. that is a hassle and 2. that people drop by in sufficient numbers.

I had a website, it was available 24/7 and available to far more people than a roadside sign. I wasn't drowning in email enquiries. I did recieve quite a good number, but I liked this as it afforded me a waiting list. Thses people might also work via a waiting list.

:cheer: Who knows, as I said, everything your are saying is illogical or an assumption based on your predjudice.

Of course it is all an assumption....both from myself and the other posters! We are all assuming, lol. Prejudice? well, that is your prerogative....I DO NOT like large scale breeding facilities and that is all there is to it!

Moselle:
If they are too lazy to remove the sign long after the pups are gone is an indication that perhaps they are too lazy to look after the dogs adequately...

Well all I can say is if people are judging my dog husbandry by my inclination to garden, I shall await the arrival of an RSPCA inspector shortly. My weeds can only be described as spectacular. :cheer:

Me too. My biggest problem is the council keep getting narky (and rightly so) because my horse plays "fetch" with my tyre roundyard. But that should surely not be a reason to call in the RSPCA....unless providing a constant source of amusement for a naughty horse is cruel?

Oh please :laugh: , lets compare oranges with oranges, shall we?

Moselle:

Well all I can say is if people are judging my dog husbandry by my inclination to garden, I shall await the arrival of an RSPCA inspector shortly. My weeds can only be described as spectacular. :laugh:

But I am gardening tomorrow - I promise :cheer:

I did say "perhaps"....lol...

Don't have one of these at your place do you? I could use it.

harvester.jpg

Edited by poodlefan

Of course it is all an assumption....both from myself and the other posters! We are all assuming, lol. Prejudice? well, that is your prerogative....I DO NOT like large scale breeding facilities and that is all there is to it!

But that's the point, you don't know if it is a 'large scale breeding facility'.

In fact, what is a 'large scale breeding facility'. Five dogs? Ten dogs? 20 dogs?

I say predjudiced because your reaction that these people in believing they are not caring for their dogs is based on your thought of 'large scale means lack of care'. It is like looking at a woman in a hijab and assuming she is a terrorist.

As I said, you have no evidence, just your predjudiced assumptions.

Edited by ~Anne~

The fact that's she's reported them three times a year for 4 years without having sighted the animals except for a drive-by glimpse, is harrassment. The fact that it's still operating means there wasn't anythng wrong, not that they RSPCA didn't do anything about it.

Nup. It's actually vexatious (which is worse) and her name is probably on their list of vexatious complainants if she actually told the truth in this thread and wasnt exaggerating to make the story more interesting.

As for rspca not getting back to her - as far as I'm aware, they dont get back to complainants. If they did, they wouldnt have time to investigate any complaints. Just because someone complains it does not mean they have any right whatsoever to know the outcome.

But that's the point, you don't know if it is a 'large scale breeding facility'.

In fact, what is a 'large scale breeding facility'. Five dogs? Ten dogs? 20 dogs?

I say predjudiced because your reaction that these people in believing they are not caring for their dogs is based on your thought of 'large scale means lack of care'. It is like looking at a woman in a hijab and assuming she is a terrorist.

As I said, you have no evidence, just your predjudiced assumptions.

IMO a large scale breeding facility is 20+ dogs.

The fact that's she's reported them three times a year for 4 years without having sighted the animals except for a drive-by glimpse, is harrassment. The fact that it's still operating means there wasn't anythng wrong, not that they RSPCA didn't do anything about it.

Nup. It's actually vexatious (which is worse) and her name is probably on their list of vexatious complainants if she actually told the truth in this thread and wasnt exaggerating to make the story more interesting.

As for rspca not getting back to her - as far as I'm aware, they dont get back to complainants. If they did, they wouldnt have time to investigate any complaints. Just because someone complains it does not mean they have any right whatsoever to know the outcome.

Raz, if it is not customary for the RSPA to get back to the complainant then why do they have to pretend that they have every intentions to get back to the complainant? why not say that they have every intention to look into the situation but that the buck ends there ???

Look I dont know why you keep addressing me in posts Moselle. Ring up the RSPCA and further waste their time by asking them but it's pretty obvious in my post why they dont, is it not?

Edited by raz

Who is to say that they're just a tad lazy and leave the signs out long after the pups are sold, so it seems there are lots of puppies for sale.

Although I understand why you might feel concern, you are barking up a tree of assumptions based on your emotional reaction to what you perceive is wrong.

Assumptions and predjudices are dangerous. Unless you have evidence of cruelty or neglect, leave it alone.

If they are too lazy to remove the sign long after the pups are gone is an indication that perhaps they are too lazy to look after the dogs adequately...besides which...would you want to be hassled by people dropping by wanting to buy a pup when you no longer have any? or is it convenient for the simple reason that their name can be jotted down in preparation for the very next litter which may be just around the corner?

I am too lazy sometimes to make vacuum my floors, does that mean in your eyes I am too lazy to look after my dogs adequately. :laugh:

Again, your idea of 'people dropping by and hassling to buy a pup' is an assumption in two ways - 1. that is a hassle and 2. that people drop by in sufficient numbers.

I had a website, it was available 24/7 and available to far more people than a roadside sign. I wasn't drowning in email enquiries. I did recieve quite a good number, but I liked this as it afforded me a waiting list. Thses people might also work via a waiting list.

:cheer: Who knows, as I said, everything your are saying is illogical or an assumption based on your predjudice.

You and most here don't like them, but unless you are actually armed with evidence that the owners are in fact doing something that is illegal, breaks by laws or are mistreating or neglecting their animals, then there is nothing that can be done to stop them. Breeding animals even on a large scale is not illegal, no matter how distasteful we find it.

Actually they do, at least they did with me.

About 10 years ago, maybe things have changed now, my friend got a new neighbour. When visiting her she told me the lady had a puppy that looked starving. The neighbour was out & she told me to look over the fence.

There was a german shepherd pup, about 4 or months that looked like something out of a concentration camp :laugh:

I said give me your phone & reported it. They took my name & phone number & next day I got a call.

They had been out & thanked me & said there was cause for concern. The woman said she had only just got it from the farm from her mother & the others pushed it out & got all the food.

They gave her a diet sheet, worming advice & went back & checked on the pup twice more. I was suprised.

But back to the original topic.

The poster must go & see the place first & then take action if need be, whatever anyone's opinion is.

Look I dont know why you keep addressing me in posts Moselle. Ring up the RSPCA and further waste their time by asking them but it's pretty obvious in my post why they dont, is it not?

What is your problem? Don't exaggerate matters, I do NOT keep addressing you in posts as a rule. YOU MADE THE COMMENT that the RSPCA do not customarily get back to complainants hence why I addressed ONE post in particular to you.

AND here is your quote in which you made the comment that the RSPCA do not get back to complainants! I made the comment that the RSPCA should have gotten back to the poster and you followed it with your post....so who addressed whom first?

Edited by Moselle

If they are advertising puppies why not just walk up and knock on the door? Enquire about them and you can see for yourself what the conditions are.

Obviously if they are advertising in front of their house they don't mind people coming in or at least coming to the door.

Our place looks like a weed bomb hit it. The grass in our front yard was 3 foot high, trees overgrown, and regularly there is rubbish strewn down the driveway.

You would drive past our place and think "those dirty buggers" but come and asky us WHY our house is like that and you might understand.

The rubbsih down the driveway every bloody week is from our neighbors cats who continually go dumpster diving.

The grass is ridiculously long because I have a fear of petrol mowers (sad I know, long story) and my OH works 80+ hours a week.

The trees are overgrown because until recently we didn't own any type of saw to fix them.

I only report to the RSPCA if I actually SEE something is wrong such as a dog being left with no water or shelter every day.

Heck, look at my mum and dads place, that is only half renovated because my dad has a back injury plusthey have different dogs going in and out all the time because mum does some grooming from home.

What is your problem? Don't exaggerate matters, I do NOT keep addressing you in posts as a rule. YOU MADE THE COMMENT that the RSPCA do not customarily get back to complainants hence why I addressed ONE post in particular to you.

Yes you do. This is a great example. Ring the RSPCA and waste their time asking the question which is obviously a bee under your bonnett, Moselle (while they could be chasing an investigation about ahum...actual animal cruelty). Dont keep asking me. I'm not their spokesperson :cheer: :p I dont even like them.

I am too lazy sometimes to make vacuum my floors, does that mean in your eyes I am too lazy to look after my dogs adequately. :p

I had a website, it was available 24/7 and available to far more people than a roadside sign. I wasn't drowning in email enquiries. I did receive quite a good number, but I liked this as it afforded me a waiting list. Thses people might also work via a waiting list.

Can't win either way - some people might leave adds or signs out too long and not get any enquiries or be flooded with them. I am only listed on DOL in the breeder section and had to write "no puppies available and no planned litters in the near future" - to me that says I do not have puppies and won't have any for a very long time but for some reason I get calls and emails almost weekly after puppies. I feel like asking what part of NO PUPPIES and NO PLANNED LITTERS IN THE NEAR FUTURE is not in english???

The OP said

Every two weeks for the past four years I've driven past this huge trailer-trash looking property, and they've had a big sign {like a church sign or roadworks sign} at the gate advertising a different breed of puppy and kitten every month or sooner.

Surely no proper breeder would have constantly changing breeds !!!!!! That is what clearly points to puppy-mill

Sparky, the issue is that the OP hasn't even SEEN any animals at the property to see if they are in a condition that needs to be reported. Puppy mills are not illegal and as long as the dogs are well cared for the RSPCA's time is better spent elsewhere.

Until she actually sees animals being mistreated what exactly is she reporting?

Edited by moosepup

Surely no proper breeder would have constantly changing breeds !!!!!! That is what clearly points to puppy-mill

They may well be, or have been, a 'puppy mill'.

But puppy mills aren't usually illegal per se. They can breed as many breeds and litters as they want and unless they are breaching an actual statute or regulation it's not something reportable to the RSPCA. And certainly not 3 times a year for years.

If I was in the OP's shoes and had concerns, I probably would have responded to one of those ads to check for myself that the place wasn't a welfare issue. But beyond that, it's probably a legal business. Us not liking it doesn't mean we can impose our values on others via an enforcement agency. Continually reporting a legal business is vexatious.