Goat Racing

Shmurps

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where was the story .Lightning ridge has goat races every year Its a big deal tourist attraction and granted its been a long time since I was there but none of the goats were behaving as if they were stressed and they had all been trained and conditioned to run behind a gig the couple of years I saw the race.

It was on one of those current affairs shows then followed up in the newspapers, Steve. Animal Lib filmed it so no doubt pretty sensationalised but it really did look pretty damn horrible, for the goats and the kids.

eta in one of the articles I read, it was actually tourists who complained to Animal Lib

Edited by raz

never saw any of it but goats certainly can be trained to harness. uncle had one broken to ride as well. ok big sannan though.

some of em grow huge.

theres a pic floating round somewhere of a singer sewing machine salesman who had a goat team in the 1900's think there were 6 or 8 in the team reckoned in the pick they never got stuck no matter how deep the sand or mud

well found this one

http://www.dropbears.com/gallery/burketown...y_Photo_009.htm

n this, the cart is a beauty from what u can see of it

http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an24381796

no singer team yet

Edited by asal

I have never heard of this before and was gobsmacked that it has been allowed for so long.

I didn't watch the whole story, did anyone else see it?

No, I didn't see it. I dont know about it, can you give more info?

edit, been off looking, is this it. Ch 9 seems to be promoting it here although anyone with a bit of compassion would wonder about the welfare of the goats.

http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/australia/goa...lightning-ridge

Edited by Kirislin

I found a video of the event

A farmer loads up a truck with feral goats who have no handling at all, attaches them to carts and then they hope for the best. THose animals must be terrified out of their brains :eek:

Yeah that's the one I saw. It was sickening. I dont give a rat's bum if it's a tourist attraction - the animals were treated really badly and the kids were at risk of breaking their necks. Plus the parents all looked pissed. It was pretty damn aweful

People in some of those areas do not even recognize that feral goats feel pain, or have feelings of panic or fear at all. It is 99% sure that after the "goat races" the goats will be loaded on a ship headed for the middle east for Halal slaugher, so why should they receive humane treatment when they are for the chop anyhow? And their treatment will probably be worse than that shown on the TV program.

Nothing will change until feral goats are recognized as sentient beings. The treatment they receive prior to shipment to the middle east, while they are being trapped and travelled in Australia is inhumane in the extreme and a complete disgrace to animal husbandry in this country. Right up there with shooting buffalo and brumbies from planes.

There are goat races where the goats are broken to harness, and these are no difference to shetland, or trotters raciing. And feral goats can figure well in these, and make satisfactory pets. These goats are not mistreated. Plenty of people in the west keep goats as pets or for milk or meat - or both, with humane treatment.

I too watched this story and was utterly disgusted by the treatment of the feral goats. What kind of person believes that any animal, feral or not, does not have any feelings?? These goats were exhausted and collapsing maybe from dehydration or just fear. Yes okay they may be pests to farmers but really it is NOT okay to treat ANY animal like this. :eek:

I have never heard of goat races being conducted in the fashion described. The video no longer appears on the site mentioned. The only racing goats I know of are well trained, well cared for and much loved pets.

Do you think this could just be a story thats been beaten up to be whole lot more than it is for the benifit of animal rights groups? If cruel things happen then that is unacceptable and must be changed but it would seem to me that an enduring link to our heritage conducted in a very humane way is being tarnished with the same brush as obvious stupidity.

Do you think this could just be a story thats been beaten up to be whole lot more than it is for the benifit of animal rights groups?

That's always a possibility and it was on one of the crappy current affairs shows but it was pretty distressing to watch and unmistakable.