Medium Dog Breeds

Alfie02

Staffordshire Bull Terrier medium size, I'd class mine as medium energy level but I know some have a higher energy level.

Yep, even my laid back Woger can be incredibly full on. But naturally couldn't recommend a better breed with children/families! ;)

I always meet people who look at Banjo and say that breed is high energy/needs a lot of exercise but I'm like no not really but that could be just him :rofl: . I think if you ask me in a years time it might be a different story with my new pup, he's already more full on than I remember Banjo being as a pup :p :) .

My first Stafford, Reginald, spoiled me. He was as laid back (read.....just plain LAZY) as it was possible for any dog of any breed to be! He used to get his exercise from following the sun from place to place in the backyard.

Then more recently came Koda. She is EXTREMELY high maintenance and to be honest...a pain in the behind.

But her son Roger, although much more laid back in personality, still needs lots of physical exercise to tire him out, or he's also a pain in the behind. Lovable, cute, an absolute darling but still a pain in the bum unless he's asleep! :laugh:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest belgian.blue

A Groenendael [aka Belgian Shepherd]. Self grooming coat, around 20kg and happy to be around his/her master.

Ivy doesn't get a lot of lead walking but she just adores being around me and Badger. Very content to chill on the bed all day. A game of tug-o-war and she's had her exercise for the day :laugh:

IMG_0023.jpg

eta - people often tell me how energetic Pointers are, Badger isn't at all. He has his mad moments when outside but comes in the house and will go to sleep when there is nothing exciting going on. Maybe I got a dud but I love my two calm quiet dogs :p Or maybe they both take after me?

Edited by belgian.blue

Whippets are a medium sized dog - on the smaller side and they are much like Greyhounds in the fact they like small bursts of energy but when that is over with they lay around.

Lewis is possibly a higher energy dog and he will still have a good play, walk etc and then snooze the rest of the day away. Rommi is totally tuckered after an hour of activity (free running,playing with Lewis, fetching toys, lead walk etc) Lewis probably take 2 hours. This could be them taking themselves for a play in the back yard pr playing fetch with a toy or obedience training. It is not a hour or two of exercise on top of what they do themselves in a day.

Right now they are snoozing on the lounge under a blanket.

My Australian Shepherds are a medium size breed. They are a working breed but are quite calm and collected. Absolute couch potatoes at my house though, although more then happy to run beside the ute out at the beach house or join us on the boat. Aussies are a "bestfriend" breed IMO. Like shadows.

But with ALL breeds; there is a variety of temperament, energy levels, personality, trainability etc. Find a breeder who has the type of dogs you're after and make sure you are ready for that commitment. Aussies are beautiful. They come in four coat colour types, can have blue or brown eyes etc and can be a

natural bob tail dog or a full tail depending on what genetics it's given. :laugh:

right now I have my two aussie girls at my feet sleeping, I've been poddling around the house all day and night and they are by my side, no rushing, no jumping, no struggling to get out of their beds. They are genuinely just happy, good girls.

Guest belgian.blue

I used to think Aussie are high energy. A breed I'd love one day ..

An Aussie would top off my breed list of Belgian Shepherds and Pointers :laugh:

I used to think Aussie are high energy. A breed I'd love one day ..

An Aussie would top off my breed list of Belgian Shepherds and Pointers :p

Before Aussies; I grew up with pedigree border collies and german shepherd mixes.

By far; the aussies are the calmest. :laugh: They live inside with me pretty much fulltime.

One day I'm going to beg Midniara for one of her Belgian Shepherds. Ivy is beautiful. :)

would a cocker be too small?

I would definately say my two are medium energy. Also great with kids :p

Needs to be ok with grooming though!

Wouldn't actually agree with this. In my experience, Cockers have always been on the higher end of the energy scale and not always reliable with children.

Ellz - i was just speaking about my experience with my two. I compare them to our friends dogs eg. boxer & border collies, and then my OH's mums maltese, and i would definately place our cockers in the middle of the two spectrums.

Fair enough.

My experience probably spans a little longer than yours and with a wider variety of dogs.....

My current American Cockers are laid back compared to the English Cockers I have known and loved and they still give my Kelpie a run for her money! :laugh:

I have to say Maggie is the most non energized dog I have ever owned . She will go for a run/walk or is just as happy snoozing on "her" recliner all day :)

I can only add my personal experiance with cockers

Imo a dog is 99% its owner !!if u r lay back so will your dog be !!!

My own cockers range from lay back to naturally busy .

They are just as happy being a lounge lizard ,as frolicking through the medows

I have yet to meet one that isnt great with kids !!.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier medium size, I'd class mine as medium energy level but I know some have a higher energy level.

Yup. Most of the staffords I've met can be pretty full on when they're playing, but are happy to chill out & lie about the house when they're not.

Edited by Staranais

I asked Bronte to recommend a breed, but she's alternating between watching the cat play with plants in the wind and sleeping behind my chair while I'm surfing the net.

I'd suggest a Smooth Collie, but it really depends upon what your friends think is a medium size and what they think is a medium energy level. Collies usually stand around 50-52cm at the shoulder and compared to my old Dobe, Bronte is small. BUT - I thought my Dobe was a reasonable sized dog.

SBT's and Cocker's to me are close to small dogs, its a long way to bend down to those chappies, and I'm height challenged.

To give you an example of her engery level, she has had a quiet obed session this morning and a free walk around the park. She'll sleep most of the rest of the day, if that's what they are after. Equally, she would be happy herding or running with other dogs for hours, but then she'd sleep for hours and hours and hours. That being said the Roughs are supposed (?) to have a lower energy level again, but of course there is the extra grooming required.

Edited by SmoothieGirl

Just my opinion. But I think the Cardigan Corgi is at the smaller end of the medium dog range. And I think they're one of the hidden treasures of the dog world. Sensible dogs that are all-round moderate. Our family had one when we were children.

At the bigger end of the medium range is the Smooth Collie. Another one of the hidden treasures.

In both cases, of course, I'm talking about purebreds from good registered breeders.

Yup. Most of the staffords I've met can be pretty full on when they're playing, but are happy to chill out & lie about the house when they're not.

:D

That's what I meant just couldn't explain myself better :D ;)

I'd 2nd the Shar pei. They are very easy to live with energy wise. Also they are very easy to train, being super smart and quick to learn.

I would also add the Chow to the list. From what I have heard they are quieter again than the pei.

Just my opinion. But I think the Cardigan Corgi is at the smaller end of the medium dog range. And I think they're one of the hidden treasures of the dog world. Sensible dogs that are all-round moderate. Our family had one when we were children.

At the bigger end of the medium range is the Smooth Collie. Another one of the hidden treasures.

In both cases, of course, I'm talking about purebreds from good registered breeders.

LOVE Cardigan Corgis, they are just about the cutest puppies ever too :laugh: all ears and button eyes and noses.

I have yet to meet one that isnt great with kids !!.

I honestly wish that I could say that I were that fortunate. The only dog that has bitten one of my children and left a mark was a Cocker. Sadly, whilst my boys can be pains, they are generally quite dog savvy and on this occasion they did nothing to provoke the bite. What made me even crosser than the bite itself was that the owner didn't give a toss! :laugh: